Meditation Seminar

Options
My yoga studio is putting on a meditation seminar this month - 7:30 p.m. every Thursday. I signed up a couple of months ago because I thought it would help with my preparation for a natural childbirth in early November.

We've been requested to wear comfy clothing and bring a journal/pen.

Anyone else ever done anything like this through a studio? I thought I would post about it every class for this month and let everyone know afterwards if it did help with labor.

I'm easily excited, and my husband is low key. He's very supportive of me doing anything that takes down my energy levels:)

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've done meditation classes but never at a yoga studio. There are a lot of different forms of meditation. Let us know how it goes.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    sounds like fun
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Meditation is good for you. I have had classes on Mindful Meditation. It is amazing the amount of junk you have in your head, that tries and disrupts you mediation. It really helps you get in touch with your body and breathing. Good luck and enjoy.
  • lauradoingyoga
    lauradoingyoga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find where I placed my notes from our first class, so here goes:

Most of our first class was a lot of discussion about what we'll be doing this month. We did do a 10-min exercise with counting to 10 breaths and re-starting at 1 whenever the mind wanders. Also a partner exercise where we sat opposite with linked arms to a partner and did a stream of consciousness "I am aware...." Apparently at this point in my pregnancy I am aware of a lot of physical discomfort! We discussed various impediments to meditation. Those are the ones I planned to list out but can't find. Argh.
    We were assigned homework- I have a reading on Buddhist meditation this week that I still need to finish up before tomorrow. We are also supposed to do the 10 minute breathing exercise everyday this week. I managed every day but one. I don't generally relax into it until probably 3/4 of the way in.

Interestingly enough, I went to a breathing for childbirth class last night and we did a guided relaxation. I love those, but my calves started twitching and I could not for the life of me relax them. It's a problem I've had the past few month with restless legs and huge calf knots.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Hydrate and eat bananas and maybe stretch (while meditating. It is interesting different twitches and pain our bodies use to store old memories. As those twitches and pains emerge acknowledge them and some times let your mind investigate them. A lot of old injuries and pain are how your body stores some memories.