HELP!

chacaruso
chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
After a month of counting calories on MFP, less than 1200 a day, running 10 miles a week, yoga 3 nights a week and pilates one day a week, I'm actually 2 lbs heavier then I was Sept 1st! What is wrong with my body? I have been in menopause for over 7 years, I'm 55 and am the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I'm a nutritionist!!! My eating is very clean. I am medically healthy, physical shows that, but this weight is absolutely out of control and I dont' understand it. No one works at like I do at it. From age 45 to 55, I have put on over 40 lbs. while eating less and working out. As a holistic practitioner I will not resort to hormone replacement. There has to be another way.

Replies

• cuttlefish11
    cuttlefish11 Posts: 4 Member
    I feel your pain! I'm an avid exerciser (5-6 days per week) and am more careful about eating than anyone I know. Yet I've gained 10 pounds this year and have had an impossible time maintaining my weight over the past 6-7 years. I'm back on mfp for about 7 weeks but have barely seen any weight loss. In fact, my weight went up two pounds this week despite being disciplined and staying under my calorie goal each day. Very frustrating!!
  • L_Cass
    L_Cass Posts: 19 Member
    I have nothing to add except empathy - 50 yrs old, 15 months into menopause and 10+ lbs. I'm afraid to get on the scale to see what the weight really is. Last I looked, it was ~10 lbs gain over the past year, most of which was in the first 4 months after my periods stopped.

I'm eating clean, admittedly not exercising as much as I should, but not a slacker either. Unbelievable how tight my clothes are. I actually did buy a size up in a few things so I would have something to wear. I haven't given up yet though and won't throw out my smaller sizes.

I work full time and have a busy life - not sure how to get the weight off without a nutritionist and personal trainer and several hours a day to work out.

bleh.
  • chacaruso
    Believe me that doesn't work. I am a nutritionist and work with a personal trainer 3x a week, work full time and eat very clean. This is really just impossibly frustrating!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    hello :)
    Yes! It totally does get very frustrating!

do you eat back your exercise calories??
    my guess is you are not eating enough for the amount of exercising you are doing
    and/or your body is holding in fluids to allow your muscles to grow
    and/or you just may not be eating enough period...if you are eating a very clean diet you may need to eat more than 1200 cal/day
    (definitely more than less than 1200/day)

normally once you get it figured out your body changes again....always gotta keep at it :)
  • chacaruso
    If I didn't eat back my workout calories I'd be taking in less than 800 calories a day. I don't think that is healthy under any circumstances. I have been asked if perhaps I don't take in enough calories and my answer to that is I've eaten pretty much the same my entire life so my calories have not changed all that much. Probably taking in a little less now. But honestly, I don't think I could consume more. I'm easily full.

I'm still plugging along because I like my eating habits and I like my exercise routine of running or walking and then yoga 3x weekly. Helps my mind if not my body.
  • Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    I'm experiencing the same as you guys...eating better than ever and exercising more but have gained 20 lbs in the last year. I turned 50 on Oct 5th and I am in menopause. I did start taking estradiol about 3 months ago to stop the night sweats because I couldn't sleep. Several people have suggested that maybe it is cortisol... not enough rest? It is so frustrating because I'm having to buy size 12 pants when I was in an 8.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    @stefmoray when is/was your last period, out of curiosity? Mine are still coming, at utterly random intervals.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I hear ya. Man, it sucks to get older! I was in the same boat a year and a half ago. Exercise didn't help. I switched to low carb, high fat way of eating (not a fad diet, I am convinced this is IT for me :) ) and have lost about 10 kg (~23 lbs) and dropped from size 12-14 to size 10. Drop your carb intake to 50 to 100 grams per day -- you can do it in stages if you want -- and increase healthy saturated fats. It works! There is a Low Carbers group here you can read if you like, they are a friendly bunch. Or read up on it here: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I am not losing much now, but want to as the tummy is being contrary... Still, I FEEL so much better, sleep better, thinking better, too. Regarding cortisol -- the more of this stress hormone you have, the more your body will hang on to fat. So try to reduce stress and stop worrying about losing it all quickly. This is a rest-of-your-life decision, don't you think? One day at a time.

• Stefmoray
    @Sabine_Stroehm - I had a hysterectomy so I haven't had one in 9 years. I just found out in July that I was post-menopause after testing. I had started with hot flashes & night sweats several months ago. Someone told me yesterday that my doctor should also check for testosterone levels that hers were low and that happens too and we start to lose muscle mass.
  • welshpoppy
    welshpoppy Posts: 114 Member
    I hear you and understand I have not gained but stayed the same for 5 months no matter that I run 20 miles a week,do JM ripped DVD 6 days a week, walk everywhere.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    @stefmoray when is/was your last period, out of curiosity? Mine are still coming, at utterly random intervals.
    Stefmoray wrote: »
    @Sabine_Stroehm - I had a hysterectomy so I haven't had one in 9 years. I just found out in July that I was post-menopause after testing. I had started with hot flashes & night sweats several months ago. Someone told me yesterday that my doctor should also check for testosterone levels that hers were low and that happens too and we start to lose muscle mass.
    Confused, did you only have a partial hysterectomy? I'd always understood that a full one put you into menopause. Which would have meant menopause was 9 years ago...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    chacaruso wrote: »
    After a month of counting calories on MFP, less than 1200 a day, running 10 miles a week, yoga 3 nights a week and pilates one day a week, I'm actually 2 lbs heavier then I was Sept 1st! What is wrong with my body? I have been in menopause for over 7 years, I'm 55 and am the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I'm a nutritionist!!! My eating is very clean. I am medically healthy, physical shows that, but this weight is absolutely out of control and I dont' understand it. No one works at like I do at it. From age 45 to 55, I have put on over 40 lbs. while eating less and working out. As a holistic practitioner I will not resort to hormone replacement. There has to be another way.

What is your % breakdown of macros for protein/carbs/fat? I have read that the hormonal shifts can cause insulin resistance, so a lower carb diet can the key.

• Stefmoray
    Yes Sabine_Stroehm - it was partial. I kept my ovaries.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    deksgrl wrote: »
    chacaruso wrote: »

What is your % breakdown of macros for protein/carbs/fat? I have read that the hormonal shifts can cause insulin resistance, so a lower carb diet can the key.
    Yup. Love this blog, so posting it again!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Momma_Grizz/view/menopausal-weight-gain-war-zone-576021
  • BusyB223
    BusyB223 Posts: 248 Member
    The main issue is "your calories has not changed" but your are not at your desired weigh
    You have been eating the same exact way for all those years. Like anything your body gets used to it. It remembers.

I would suggest try fluctuating your calories (2 days slightly higher caloric intake, 2 days slightly lower than your goal... the other days right on calorie target).

This is exactly why many plateau and don't understand why it's happening. They are eating the same calories, exercising 7 days a week. That is great if you have reached your desired weight. If you still have weight to lose, that isn't going to work after awhile.

I hope this helps.