Anyone doing each week twice?

Options
I completed C25k for my first time in May (ran/walked my first 5k in July with a 39:24 finish) and I haven't gone running much since. I'm looking to start for my second time this upcoming week, but I plan to do each week twice.
Is anyone else currently doing that or planning to do that? I'm aiming to run my next 5k at 36:00 (I won't be running another until July 2015!).
Also, is anyone starting this upcoming week? :D

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    To be honest it sounds pretty counterproductive. What's your rationale for approaching it in that way?

You've already completed, with a credible time. If you're wanting a better time in your next 5K then I think you'll get much more performance gain from training to 10K.
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm going to run each week twice to give myself time to really improve each workout. I feel like the first time I did it I was just barely making it through each run, just happy to have finished it. If I give myself 2 weeks to hit my goal of a 12-minute mile then I just think I'll do better because there's less pressure to do well in a short amount of time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    OK. General consensus is that speed gains are faster if you get more time on your feet, so as you move from 30 minutes to 60 minutes in a session you'll see big gains in your pace.

There's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting, it's just not a particularly efficient way to train. If you're already close to a 12 minute mile you're doing pretty well.

Anyway, all the best with it
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    OK. General consensus is that speed gains are faster if you get more time on your feet, so as you move from 30 minutes to 60 minutes in a session you'll see big gains in your pace.

There's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting, it's just not a particularly efficient way to train. If you're already close to a 12 minute mile you're doing pretty well.

Anyway, all the best with it
    +1

I would work on increasing your running base (miles or minutes running per week) whether you use a 5 to 10k program or just run.
  • emmarie1630
    emmarie1630 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think the whole point of the program is to help people build on their running abilities, specifically to run 5k-- so I would say do whatever you need to do to get to that point! The program is a training guide so use it in anyway that makes you comfortable. I haven't repeated whole weeks but there are some weeks where I will repeat a certain day more than once before moving to the next workout-- but that's just me. As long as you keep going, you can't go wrong. :)
  • sambo155
    Options
    If you think that would work best for you, then you should do it! :)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I've got plans for doing this but I've got exercise induced asthma and want to be sure my body is capable of handling each step of the program.
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I have not done a week twice, or even any one workout twice, but I am only on week 2 at this point. I was advised on a thread I had started here that if I need to repeat a workout before moving on to the next week, to do so, and while I understand the rationale, if you aren't ready don't push it, the program is set up to do precisely that, push you to incrementally improve. Everyone is different, and everyone improves at their own pace. I'm not convinced, though, that repeating every week would be beneficial. Especially since you have already done the program once and ran a 5K after completing it. However, only you know how your body feels, how you feel, and if you truly can or even should move on to the next week. Good luck to you.
  • sams1656
    Options
    I think you should do whatever you are empowered and motivated to do, Kudos to you!! I will be starting next week as well. Best of luck! :)
  • ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've actually just finished week 3, but I'm thinking about repeating it because I feel as though I'm not fully prepared for week 4. Do whatever feels comfortable for you, just don't quit! Good luck
  • Ms_Jae
    Ms_Jae Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app and I have been using it for awhile now. A lot of it depends on how much weight your carring, if you've ever ran before starting the program, your ability to control your breathing, your muscle strength to propel you forward, and any pain you have be it shin spints, joint pain or tight muscles. A trainer, who is a runner as well, advise me to do 1 week for 3 to 4 wks untill I was used to the run before moving on to the next. It has worked out well for me. This last 4mi run was my best PR yet and I'm not done with the program. The trainer also advise me to interup my C25K with 4 to 5 wks of crosstraining and muscle toning along with running 1 mi at as fast a pace as I could. At the end of the 4 to 5 wk I would continue with the C25k from where ever I left off. Again this veriation has worked well for me. so my advise to you is do what works for you! if you want to do 2 wks do 2 wks it may be of some benefit to you.