BF% Ranges for cutting and bulking

Options
Derpes
Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
Hi all,

I am currently at apx 19% body fat.

I run and lift regularly (mostly compounds).

In terms of body fat, what are the ideal ranges for determining when to cut and when to bulk?

One user suggested cutting to 12% and bulking to 15% as a rule of thumb.

Thoughts?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    In the long run I doubt it matters a huge amount. The general rule of thumb/guideline is to cut down to 10% and bulk up to 15%, rinse and repeat. Unless you're overfat with potential insulin resistance problems (or something along those lines), I doubt it makes a HUGE difference. I've been bulking/cutting from 15% to 20% instead because I don't care to diet all the way down to 10%. But I'm one of those chubby powerlifters so your goals may vary.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dope. I was cutting down to 10% to start a bulk and discovered that when I got down to 12-13%, I looked like a POW (the dreaded skinny fat). So I started a bulk from there. Finished that bulk at 20%. I looked a little chubby in the face at 20%. Cut back down to 17% now and starting to look POW like again. But I ain't skinny fat this time. My face is just ugly without a little fat to fill things in. So I may just bounce between 15% and 20% until I figure out how to fix the ugly.

Tom
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Can anyone comment on what the ideal bf% would be for women cutting/bulking? I'm currently about 17%bf after cutting and I'm thinking of eating at maintenance to recomp but I know eventually I'd like to start a bulk/cut cycle and I'm wondering when I should start bulking.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can anyone comment on what the ideal bf% would be for women cutting/bulking? I'm currently about 17%bf after cutting and I'm thinking of eating at maintenance to recomp but I know eventually I'd like to start a bulk/cut cycle and I'm wondering when I should start bulking.

Lyle claims around 19% to 24%.

A good read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I second a thank you! Appreciate the feedback.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dope. I was cutting down to 10% to start a bulk and discovered that when I got down to 12-13%, I looked like a POW (the dreaded skinny fat). So I started a bulk from there. Finished that bulk at 20%. I looked a little chubby in the face at 20%. Cut back down to 17% now and starting to look POW like again. But I ain't skinny fat this time. My face is just ugly without a little fat to fill things in. So I may just bounce between 15% and 20% until I figure out how to fix the ugly.

Tom

Good luck, I've been trying to figure this out all my life. I figure if I can't be pretty, I can at least be strong.