Hi There - Ready for reset

Options
Hello and thanks for reading :flowerforyou:

Ive had a little success and a lot of confusion around how much I should be eating.

I am 167 and 5' 7

Scooby puts my BMR at 1464 and TDEE at 2013, which seems to fit my fitbit's calculations. ( It has me burning anywhere from 1900 - 2400 depending on activity that day.

My weight fluctuates ridiculously. I know to expect 1, 2 or 3 lb ups or downs but last week I went down then up 7 lbs and stayed there for the last week. Nothing much has changed, my sodium and water intake is still good.

I net around 1300 most days though I am actually eating between 1600-1800 calories a day.

Could fitbit be off or do you think I need to eat more?

I haven't lost more than a pound in over a month ( besides the drop 2 weeks ago, which Im assuming that's what it was because it never stayed )

Thank you for your input or advice, Im really lost as to what I should be doing.

Oh and I weigh my food meticulousy! I have a scale.:happy:

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So glad you found EM2WL! :)

Since you have a Fitbit, I would use it's numbers since it's actually calculating your activity all day - it will be more accurate. You're not eating enough, so you're creating a calorie deficit that is too large and it's working against you. Netting below your BMR is way too low, so increase those calories up to no more than a 15% deficit from your TDEE Fitbit calculations for weight loss. You should start seeing better results doing this. You can take an average from a month's worth of data and use that as your TDEE -15%. Are you working out, and if so, what kind? Lots of cardio can hinder as well, especially with a too large deficit.

We also don't know your dieting history...can you tell us a little more so we can help better? Are you wanting to lose weight or are you wanting to do a reset as your topic suggests? If so, a reset would mean increasing your calories all the way up to your TDEE and then eating there for 8-12 weeks minimum to help heal the metabolism.

Some women just fluctuate a lot, depending you your cycle and workouts and millions of other things that we deal with. It's really best not to weigh more than once a week. Obviously, it's not fat that is making your scale fluctuate...probably water rentention is all, so don't worry about that too much if you can help it. :)

Feel free to add me here on mfp for support. There is also the www.em2wl official website you can check out for more forums and wonderful support as well. Again, welcome! Let us know if you have any other questions and keep us updated!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for replying!

I had a feeling I should raise the amount of calories. As for the reset, I started the thread with that intention but after I hit send, it was too late to change :blushing:

I don't do a lot of cardio, per say, just walking and I use free weights 2-3 times a week ( though I'm just a newbie there so not for huge burns )

So fitbit's estimation is pretty much dead on, I'm thinking.

Should I immediately raise my cals up ? To 15% below my average daily fitbit burn?
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Either way. You can immediately raise them or take a slower approach and raise them more gradually...maybe 100 daily per week. If you go slower, you help to minimize weight fluctuations on the scale that can happen for some people.
  • JustFindingMe
    Options
    Ok - Thanks,

Have changed my goals in MFP to the new number ( 1700 I think? ) Netting right?

K starting today. We will see how it goes..

:flowerforyou:
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    So if you are going to use your Fitbit TDEE, then an easier way to do it would be to take your average TDEE and subtract 15%, and then set that as your MFP daily goal and just eat to the same amount every day without logging any additional exercise calories - you won't worry about "netting". Is the 1700 your TDEE -15% amount? That seems a little low to me. When using the TDEE method, you do not want to log any additional exercise calories since your Fitbit accounts for all activity already. Does that make sense? If you want to log exercise in MFP, then just change the calorie burned number to "1" calorie and that way it won't add to your 1700 number. Just recheck and make sure that 1700 is your -15% amount.
  • JustFindingMe
    Options
    Got it and the 1700 is with 15% taken off

:smile: