What type of sweetener to use!!

Options
mora982
mora982 Posts: 169 Member
I just started LCHF diet and trying to keep my net carb @ 20-22 g but I'm finding it hard not to go above this limit because I usually drink like 4 herbal tea , coffee or tea daily. I use a sweetener made from sucralose and has 1.98 carbs per serving! I'm trying to use half serving but it is hard somehow.
Any suggestions here?

Replies

• QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    stevia- it's good , zero carbs monk fruit extract too as its also plant based, but the stevia is easy to buy and can get liquid or granular packets
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Stevia, definitely.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I third that ... raw stevia..
  • mora982
    Options
    I didn't find stevia here in Egypt. Maybe I can ask a friend to bring some from me from USA next month!!
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    I also like liquid Spenda... no added carbs.

Liquid Sugar Twin tastes pretty gross, in my opinion.
  • AyanaJolie
    AyanaJolie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    raw honey
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I also use erythritol in baking, but it can affect some people's blood glucose levels... I buy that and stevia and lots other low-carb stuff from iherb.com in California--seems it will ship to Egypt. It'll be expensive, though. I live in Japan, and it is not too bad if I order enough all at once. YMMV!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Ideally, none if you are doing LCHF or Ketogenic diet because for some people, artificial sweeteners register as sugar in the body and affect glucose levels nearly the same as sugars do. Over consumption of AS can really cause people to be unsuccessful on LCHF diets. Most of the ones I've looked into limit you to two servings per day.

Powdered AS usually contain carbs because they cut them with a starch to prevent caking of the product. Try a liquid as others have suggested. Chances are they are more concentrated tasting anyway, dissolve better, and you'll use less.
  • mora982
    Options
    Ideally, none if you are doing LCHF or Ketogenic diet because for some people, artificial sweeteners register as sugar in the body and affect glucose levels nearly the same as sugars do. Over consumption of AS can really cause people to be unsuccessful on LCHF diets. Most of the ones I've looked into limit you to two servings per day.

Powdered AS usually contain carbs because they cut them with a starch to prevent caking of the product. Try a liquid as others have suggested. Chances are they are more concentrated tasting anyway, dissolve better, and you'll use less.

Thank you very much :) I know that artificial sweeteners are restricted in LCHF diets along with caffeine but I just can't cut out carbs and coffee at the same time!! Too much for me to take so I'm limiting it to morning coffee and I try to drink some herbal teas while watching carb contents for sure !!
  • WizWil
    WizWil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been using Torani Sugar Free Syrups - it's sweetened with liquid sucralose and no carb - thus far LOVE it to flavor coffee; heavy whipped cream and things of that sort!
    -
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    mora982 wrote: »

Thank you very much :) I know that artificial sweeteners are restricted in LCHF diets along with caffeine but I just can't cut out carbs and coffee at the same time!! Too much for me to take so I'm limiting it to morning coffee and I try to drink some herbal teas while watching carb contents for sure !!

I understand how hard it is to reduce/quit a lot of items at once. Just know that if you aren't losing, that's one thing to really look at...AS.