Welcome!

Options

Replies

• slinkygurl311
    Options
    Hi everyone! i've been vegetarian for 5 1/2 years and vegan since last april. I love it and feel so much better! I became vegetarian because of animal cruelty, and was able to cut out all other animal products last year!

I'm new to MFP and really like it so far. I think it will really help to have support from others.
  • RoKuhn1011
    Options
    Hey all!

My name is Lindsey and I'm newly vegan. I was vegetarian for 8 years, fell off the wagon, and picked it up again vegan. I made the choice for my health and feel so much better when I follow a vegan diet. Unfortunately, I'm not completely strict yet. For example, at my Grandma's house I will still eat what she makes even if I would prefer not to out of respect for my family. I'm new to the MFP community, so I'm excited to learn from and share with all of you!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am a vegetarian hoping to transition to vegan this year. I have cut out milk so far and I'm working on cheese right now. I would like the vegan lifestyle to better my health. It seems like so many of my family and friends have poor health and i hope to change that environment for myself and my daughters. The more i learn about factory farms the more the lifestyle change is becoming more about the animals too. I hope to get support and recipe ideas from the group.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    im stephanie. vegan for 7 years and have a 3 year old that is vegan and had an entire vegan pregnancy. i love throwing everything together to make vegan versions of all my fav foods. i did it for the animals. after i saw what had really happened to them, and as naive as it sounds, i thought they euthanized the animals, like cats and dogs, and not do what they actually do to them. hubby explained and that was that. i work at whole foods market, and personally i am a food snob. haha. i only eat local items when i can, items that have no crap, artifical anything and words i cant pronounce. i love also helping people that are vegan find websites and items and recipes that help them make veganism a lot easier/healthier. nice to meet you all. the extended version of my earlier post. haha. and yes, whole foods discount is at least 20% off. the healthier you are, the more discount up to 30% off.
  • AutumnSun2
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I became a vegan September of 2011 after watching the movie Forks Over Knives. I had already started eating a vegetarian diet so becoming a vegan was pretty easy. I did miss the ½ and ½ in my coffee though. Other than that, I love being a vegan.

When I became a vegan I was overweight by 50 to 60 pounds from several years of consuming too many calories. Many of those calories came from eating too many nuts, drinking a couple extra glasses of wine, and a miscellaneous asortment of other food.

I joined this website 1/9/12. I also joined LifeTime Fitness, a gym.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Simone and I eat vegan (again) since Jan 2nd of this year. I've been vegetarian for the past two years for ethical reasons and I am trying to stick to vegan eating for good this time around. Last year I gave up after vacations which made it hard to stick to vegan food. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull it off for good this time around.

The biggest reason for the change has been my health. I am borderline obese and can not continue that way. Vegetarian diet was not weight friendly for me as most of my foods contained plenty of cheese.

Amazon suggested "The Get Healthy, Go Vegan" cookbook from Dr. Neil Barnard over a year ago and I decided to buy it and try it out. I was desperate for some change but did not have the self control to stick with eating less and/or more healthy.

I am always in need of encouragement, so a friend suggested MFP to me. I am not really into counting calories but I am now using this in addition to eating better to keep my motivation up.
  • tryingvegan
    tryingvegan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Joanne and I have started to eat a Plant Based Diet also after reading Eat to Live and watching Forks over Knives.
    I need to lower my cholestereol and I don't want to take any medications because I always have had side effects when taking them. I wish all of you good luck on reaching your goals!
  • clarasliker
    clarasliker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm from Pa, and have been trying to eat the vegetarian way since November 2011. I've faultered a bit here and there but I have a lot of weight to lose and my husband has weight and bad medical problems to overcome as well. Our biggest obsticle seems to be my husbands digestive system not taking to kindly to vegy staples such as onions ,any green vegys, melons cabbage and the like.
    Even so he's willing to try and sees that fresh vegys are the healthiest way to go. anyway I'm constantly looking for very basic recipes that he can tolerate. My friend Sandy just joined this site and sent me an invite so here I am!1
  • clarasliker
    clarasliker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also watched" forks over knives", its an amazing movie!!
  • lottiepen
    lottiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a greedy vegan based in the UK and have had an interesting journey to a vegan diet; in the late 1980's I turned vegetarian (decision based purely on animal welfare issues and a lack of access to either organic or free range meat) and then had probably 5 years of a worse diet than I had before due to a) my inability to cook and b) poor food choices - too much dairy/wheat etc and lack of exercise and as a result gained weight. In the 1990's I started to eat fish due to cravings but stopped eating fish last year. My diet has improved over those early years of vegetarianism as I am a keen cook and love finding new recipies. Last year a sea change started to occur to me, I stopped drinking milk and turned to soya, stopped buying 'processed' vegan foods and fell in love with my kitchen again. I feel so much better and have so much more energy following a vegan diet and now follow this 99% of the time. My fave cookbooks at the moment are VWAV and Veganomicon. I try to purchase as much as I can from local shops and markets. Some of you have mentioned the film 'Forks Over Knives', not sure this is out yet in the UK to rent - if anyone knows do let me know!

Wishing you all good health.
  • GoodMorningGirl
    GoodMorningGirl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! I am full-fledged vegan as of 1/1/12 and loving it. I was vegetarian for a few months before that, but after reading about factory farming and also the health dangers of dairy products, I decided to go all the way.

I'm looking for some vegan MFP pals as the only vegan I know in "real life" is my mother, who is a huge inspiration to me. My challenges are that I want to lose 15-20 pounds, and that I slack off on keeping my food diary and end up eating too many pretzels, nuts and other snacky things. Fortunately, I do love almost every fruit and vegetable. I'm also beginning to enjoy a variety of beans and tofu.
  • lilpenggwen
    lilpenggwen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I was a vegetarian for about 3yrs in college but eventually peer pressure and laziness sunk in and I fell off the wagon. About 3 months ago halfway through a (non-vegan) late' I came to my senses and went vegan. Its still a bit new so I'm hesitant to call myself vegan; also I tend to be vegan by intent and tend to find out after the fact that I've eaten something (usually with milk or hidden mayo). I guess I'm just taking it in stride and feeling great.

I joined this group looking for recipe ideas and support. I have a non-vegan partner who is 90% supportive (which I think is pretty lucky) but anyone who has advice about living in a mixed household I would welcome that too.

Nice to meet you all!
    Gwendolyn
  • dlt79
    dlt79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, so here's my story. I'm 50 years old and was so frustrated with my weight and overall health that I decided to take care of myself once and for all. About 10 months ago I started working out 3-4 times per week and just watched my calories (1950 per day) and the weight started coming off. However in October of 2011, I stopped losing weight. I started working out more, but still the weight stayed the same. A friend of mine challenged me to try vegan for 10 days to "shock my system"... and I enjoyed it so much I stuck with it. I've been eating vegan now for 30 days and feel great - not to mention that I've started losing weight again. The toughest thing for me right now is finding restaurants with a good vegan menu. Any help in this area would be appreciated.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I went straight to veganism in April 2011 and have enjoyed it. I love the way I feel and have been enjoying the food I eat. My daughter even went vegan after some resistance. I told her she didn't have to go vegan, but she did have to try the food I cooked. She made the choice to be a vegan on her own and also likes they way she feels.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jacquie and I'm from Hamilton, Ontario. I'm a wife and mother to 5 adorable children. I had entertained the idea of being a vegetarian since 1999 but I had received so much negative energy that I began to consume dairy, fish and chicken.

My light bulb moment came in August of 2011 when I had a cracked egg in a bowl on the counter. I was going to use it for baking that afternoon. My 3yr old was ever so still and quiet watching the cracked egg. Some time had passed and he was still quiet and watching this cracked egg. Now I was concerns because this boy does not do still nor quiet for very long. That was when I asked him son...what are you doing? His reply to was "I'm waiting for the baby chick". In that moment I witnessed his true innocence of our world and I had to do the right thing for our family.....I turned the whole family vegan overnight.

I stumbled across a documentary "earthlings" and I played it for the entire family to see after dinner. By the end everybody was on board even my husband and teenager daughter. That night I made a promise to them they will love my cooking better as a vegan than ever before. We have never looked back.
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My name is Leah, I'm 26, and I went vegan back in October for my health. I've been overweight for a good portion of my life (since puberty hit at age 10) and really ballooned in 2005 when I was pregnant with my daughter. I went from 175-ish to 250 pounds early in 2010 and I've struggled to get the weight off. I live near to my mom and stepfather who are definitely NOT supportive (I'll even go so far as to say that my mother is absolutely cuckoo but that's a rant for another day.) and they keep dropping off milk, cheese, and meat at my house :indifferent: which ends up in the back of my fridge until I throw it out or my daughter eats it. It'll be nice to have other vegans to talk to.

I joined MFP at the suggestion of a friend from another site. I was doing well last year and lost a fair amount of weight and even managed to participate in a run/walk 5k but I fell back off the wagon and gained some weight back. (Discovering Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World didn't help any.) I'd like to get down to a normal BMI for the first time since I was a kid and run a half marathon.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sandy. I read Eat to Live years ago but didn't stick with the plan. I have always been on the chubby side without a lot of work and focus. I recently watched Forks Over Knives, read the Engine 2 Diet, and watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I have been trying a non-strict vegan diet for a month or so, but now I am on a non-strict juice fast and juice is vegan, so here I am!
  • RatRace675
    RatRace675 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I went lacto ovo vegetarian when I was 19 (20 years ago) purely for ethical reasons. I had said for all that time I would love to go vegan, but there is no way I could give up cheese. It was only when I joined www.veggieboards.com that I really opened my eyes to what goes on in the farming world. I changed to lacto vegetarian within a few days of joining and then last year went strict vegetarian for lent (so gave up dairy) and realised within a few days how easy it was to give things up when you passionately believe in your ethics, so I turned vegan. It will be a year next month and I have to say, it has been an absolute breeze and I love it!

I have a wife of 14 years who is an omnivore, an 11 year old son who is lacto ovo veggie and an 8 year old son who is pescetarian.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a 27 year old vegan, living in Leeds West Yorkshire, england.
    I have been vegan for 2yrs 2months, for ethical, health and happiness reasons.
    The reason for my weight gain and my been here to lose weight is because I discovered Vegan baking and still eat far too many calories. My aim is to lose 27lbsin a healthy Vegan, friendly and compasionate way.
  • LEWilsonAuthor
    LEWilsonAuthor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I recently went completely vegan 2 weeks ago and I've never felt better. I've always been what I would call a borderline vegetarian. I ate dairy and the occasional chicken or fish. Then my husband and I started throwing around the idea of becoming vegan, mostly for health reasons and a concern about how our food is manufactured these days. One day I was looking around for vegan recipes and came across a video about factory farming. An animal lover my whole life, that video motivates me like nothing else. I'd heard a little about the way the animals were treated, but ignorance is bliss right? My husband and I became vegan that day. The more we see and read about factory farming, genetically modified food, etc., the more we're convinced that a whole foods, plant based diet is the way to go. :)