Introductions

Options
Thomasm198
Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
I've created this group so people who have mental health issues can discuss things openly and freely.

I'm a police officer and 10 years ago after a bad incident in work I developed Post Traumatic Stress. I was on Prozac for about 8 months and attened counselling sessions for a number of years.

On a couple of occasions during my very bad days, I placed a knife against my wrist and contemplated ending everything. During this time in my life, I had serious issues with food. The anxiety attacks I was having were causing me to be unable to eat more than a few small scraps of food at times. If I tried to eat any more than a couple of scraps I used to end up getting physically sick.

I've learned that stress, anxiety, depression, etc, can effect weight. So I'm hoping that this group will help people will help people with their weightloss and other health issues.

Edited to say, that part of my reasoning for creating this group is where people can come and discuss things openly and freely. In the past on the main forum, I have seen some silly comments being made on topics about mental health issues (example: "Your doctor doesn't know what is best for you. Don't listen to him".

Having had my own experiences with mental health issues, and a cousin that didn't survive his issues with mental health issues :cry: ; I am a very strong advocate of promoting mental well-being.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    *ahem*

I'm Q, and I suffer from depression. It's at times debilitating. Most times, I don't feel I have the luxury of truly breaking down. I shove all my energy into going to work, and there's little left for anything else. I get tired of hearing my own voice complain about it, so I tend to go to therapy in spurts. The worse it is, the less I'm inclined to reach out to friends. I've always said I preferred friends who would be there for me during the goods times, as opposed to that common phrase where a friend is someone you can count on when things are hard. Or something like that. I'm not very eloquent this morning.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm a licensed therapist. I used to work in what long ago would have been called the State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. I was attacked by a patient and was out of work with a shoulder injury and PTSD for 6 weeks. PTSD lasted longer. I had a great therapist and used EMDR, which helped unbelievably. I'm a little annoying with urging people to go to that kind of therapy when they are in that kind of pain.

I've also dealt with depression and anxiety. Luckily for me, they're usually adjustment and not totally the biological depression that others are haunted by.

I also have mental illness in my family. Lots of people on my friend list know that my mother died recently. What I don't share too publicly is that she died due to mental illness. She had schizoaffective disorder (mood swings of Bipolar with an extra treat of psychosis all the way through) and was ill almost all of my life. Scary crazy ill.

She had colon cancer, but because of her mental illness, she didn't get it quickly. Mother's Day of 2004, while going through as bad a divorce as you can imagine (with the attendant adjustment related depression and anxiety) I learned she had cancer. I'm an only child. I went back with my kids, her siblings flew in. And we rehabilitated her junk house so she could live in it when she got back from the hospital.

She was actually pretty mentally well for the years leading up to her cancer surgery. But while she was still in the hospital after the surgery, she started showing some bad symptoms of paranoia and psychosis. I kept trying to get the doctor to put her back on the psych meds, but they're hard on a GI tract, and he was a GI surgeon. There were no psychiatrists with admitting privileges, so he wouldn't consider injectables. So, finally, I told the guy with as serious a face as I could muster, "if you don't get her back on her meds RIGHT NOW, and later she relapses into mental illness, this is gonna be YOUR bad outcome of YOUR care, and believe you me, I will let you know, buddy" or something to that effect. They put her on, but that stability she'd finally gotten was gone, and she didn't stay compliant with meds and didn't finish chemo because the busses were being run by the KGB.

Within a year or so, she was telling me about how the KGB agents on the bus had sprayed her with something that went into her lungs and made it hard to breathe. And then more psychotic/lung symptoms. And then somehow, she went to a doctor who did an image and saw masses on her lungs. He wanted to do a biopsy, but she refused. And went full-blown psychotic. Police dispatchers refused to do a welfare check, and one of them actually said to me, "if it is as serious as you are saying, why aren't you on the first plane out here".

People don't understand what mental illness puts people through. So I went out there (again) and she had agreed to let me take her to the doctor, but when I got to her house, she wasn't there. When she returned, she accused me of being an imposter (which is a big warning sign of risk of violence, btw) and that she knew I was an imposter because her daughter isn't so fat (sigh). So I got in the Police Sergeant's face, and the city council, and said, "I got on the plane, what the **** are you gonna do now?" I also called the Chief. She got pulled in for a 72 hour hold and was combative and assaultive and it got to be 2 weeks, but then they were going to let her go. I got her committed, which is kind of a miracle. And was another plane flight out.

Committment/Conservatorship got her to live in halfway houses and care facilities. At one point she walked away from an unlocked facility and lived in the backyard of her old condo until she was nearly starved to death and called my dad (her ex). That was the first I or the Conservator heard she wasn't at the facility. So they moved her to a new facility. Their Nurse Practitioner was saying, "huh, she has this cough and shortness of breath, we don't know why" I said, "she has cancer that most likely spread to her lungs. She's unable to attend to her own health, so that's why she's conserved. That's what it is." They had no idea. But they did another image and found lots of tumors and gave her weeks to months to live. Nearly 2 years ago.

Then, about a month ago she died. But she didn't die alone in her house with no welfare checks until she smelled. She didn't die alone in her house scared with a psychotic mind spinning stories to understand her physical symptoms. She didn't die alone, starving because she couldn't care for herself or get to the grocery store by foot. She lived in a nursing home, and they took her off her psych meds for a while, and then she said it was just a cold and if she didn't eat for a week or two it would clear up like she'd done before. Then she said some other crazy stuff and they put her back on her meds. The week she died, I talked to her and had the most normal conversation I've ever had with her. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for that. She lived in a place that would horrify you if it was your family, but sadly, it was the best alternative we could get for her.

So. That was a lot. I'm sorry about that. I just said it because if anyone could understand that my mom died of mental illness, this group could.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My mom was bi-polar. I never knew that there was anything wrong with it. As a kid, I thought it was normal that my mom would go live in the hospital for a couple months once in a while. One thing sticks out from my childhood, though. There was one day we were at the local pool just playing around. She told me, "You know, this is the first time in a long time that I have actually laughed." Even as a 7-year-old kid, I understood the weight of that statement.

I suffer from anxiety. I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but I know. I'm getting tested next week through my school's counseling center so I can start getting help. I think it's GAD because my mind is always fluttering from one worry to the next without stopping. Some are reasonable, some are not. I'm really hoping to find some answers soon.
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    Hello I'm Martina. I'm 34-almost-35 and I live in a small town of NC, but I'm originally from Atlanta. I am diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, dysthymia, and social anxiety disorder, but I may have some diagnoses either change or get added to shortly, as I first received these diagnoses back in 2004 and my new psych is looking into my case. :)

My Mom and sister had depression and my Dad had PTSD and spent the majority of my childhood going in and out of the mental hospital. I'm happy to find you all. :)
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety problems. I worry constantly about everything all the time. I'm also very OCD.
    My Mom has mental illnesses such as bipolar and actually going to hospitals for a while when I was young.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have major depression. My wife also has major depression/borderline personality disorder and ADD. We both have parents that have at least gone through depressive phases, and her dad currently has Alzheimer's. Various other health issues are in our families, so health concerns are always on the radar.

I'm doing pretty well right now - off meds, thanks to the boost weight loss and exercise has given me. I'm looking forward to the help I can offer others in this group, and what this group can do for each other.
  • MJudd157
    Options
    Hi, I have a few mental health issues, severe anxiety, depression, OCD, & Tourettes.
    I'm 21 years old so I'm still learning about how to control & deal with this stuff, I've been on meds for 5-6 years now, recently started Lyrica a few days ago, I've gained over 50+ lbs in the last few years, because of my meds, I'd just like to say thanks for making this group & together we can overcome this! :)

MJ
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Welcome each of you.

Feel free to start topics to ask questions, discuss things, or just even generally vent to let out some worries.

From my experience, talking helped me. So I always encourage people to talk about their problems. As the old saying goes "a problem shared is a problem halved"
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm maab. i've suffered from chronic depression and suicidal tendancies since i was a pre-teen, i'm a recovering addict, and i struggle every day with social anxiety disorder.

i had a metric crapton of therapy through high school and learned a lot of tools that got me sober and get me out of bed on the bad days. most of my group therapy now happens in NA and AA meetings - i had off and on healthcare for a lot of years and meetings are free, with free coffee, score. there are still dark times, and it's a struggle.

the hardest part right now is the gym. first day there, i had a crippling anxiety attack. i've worked out some tricks for it now; and it's now part of the routine, so it's getting better. there are fewer days when i can't face it. sometimes it's tough getting out of the car and into the gym.

the hardest lesson in all of my therapy was that i have to keep going forward, even when i'm crawling. so that's what i do.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Yvonne, but everyone calls me Von. I suffer from depression. I take meds for it because I've tried everything else and I cant cope without them. They take the edge off.

It seems to run in the family. My grandmother, mother, all my aunts have it too. My mother said I was what she would call a " sad child" Not sure what that means exactly but I do know I always felt different, even when I was little. Never happy and carefree like the other kids. Always looking for something outside myself to make me happy.

I'm not sure if a sucky childhood contributed or not. But it surely didnt help any. Then a marriage at 18, and baby at 21 just added more stress.

I think if I knew it was more than being just a sad person I would have sought out help sooner. As it was it took me ages to ask for help. Even now..on meds..I have times where all I want to do is sleep all day and not face the world..and I do..because i just cant help it. Then there are days I can function. Its a daily struggle. A lot of times I've thought that it would be easier to just be dead. Once..I tried..meh..doesnt matter. I fight every day to be content..to find a little bit of joy. Its difficult. There are so many things I wish were different.

I dont want to end up like my step brother, who 3 years ago at 21, hung himself in my dad's garage and my dad found him.

Thank you Tom, for making this group. *hug*
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i'm laura. i've had OCD for as long as i can remember, and since i was 17, i've had panic attacks/agoraphobia. there ya go. i'm slightly off kilter!

i just have to say my OCD is driving me crazy today. i find it tremendously helpful to realize when i'm feeling crazy, to acknowledge that it's my OCD talking, and not me. feel free to friend me :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im Jeanette and im bi polar.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'm Elysa. I've been diagnosed with PTSD by every therapist I've seen. I have ADD, anxiety, and depression that I'm currently not medicated for.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have it all in my family!

Gran and mum suffered with both depression and OCD, mum- mostly OCD but was very bad.

Gran on Dad's side has very developed Alzheimer's/Dementia

Big Sis suffered Anxiety, PTSD, OCD, Insomnia
    Little Sis, Kleptomania, OCD
    Little bro - OCD
    Me-Insomnia, Stress, Anxiety (But then again I am an air traffic controller who lost their granddad in the middle of training - he was my sole inspiration to join the RAF which made things a bit hard! Plus with everyone else at home struggling, had noone to turn to!) I'm over them now and deal with them - they could haunt me if I don't manage things properly. Saw a senior military shrink and nurse for some CBT and advice etc. Very good. Mum says I'm highly strung, nature is very competitive but also quite soft and sensitive!

:)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, they put me on Zopicolne initially and then Temazepam for my sleep problems and medically downgraded me from air traffic control for 4 and a half months. But I'm fighting fit now, a lot was to do with my granddad- the amount of pressure I put on myself to "make him proud" and not having time to grieve (I had half a day off to go to his funeral... a 2 and a half hour drive each way) and I was told he was dying the day after a big night celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain... but drove home all the same and was holding his hand, reading him Rudyard Kipling poems as he died, which I was there at his side for. Work insisted I was back in work on the Monday (he dies Sunday afternoon) and I was just so wiped and maxed and arghhh! No wonder I got down and couldn't sleep!
  • chellesky
    Options
    Its wonderful to meet all of you, you are all awesome and brave for sharing your stories with us all.
    Im Chellesky (Michelle) I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was 26. It was such a shock!
    Im now 49 and it still plays havoc with my life and lifestyle. The last two years have been really tough and I feel now that I am getting through the dark tunnel once more and hoping so much that I can lose the weight Ive gained from having to take the meds.
  • rdpixie
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have suffered from a recurrent depressive disorder for almost 12 years now. The horrible thing this year has been turning to food. This is not a good thing as I work in the fitness industry and my hobby requires me to look in shape too and so overeating is very self destructive for me in many ways. I can't afford a therapist so its a bit tough at the moment but just have to take it day by day.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm JR!

I suffer from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I'm going to share something on here that I haven't shared with anyone else ever but my wife. I was hospitalized for depression and anxiety for a week 2 years ago. We found the root cause to be that I suffer from them mildly anyways but I was put on a really high dose of predisone. Which apparently Steroids make me go nutso. I was a mess, I still have problems, mainly when winter is first starting. Right now I'm having a lapse in that the depression, anxiety are really really bad. The OCD hasn't kicked in too bad lately at least. These issues I do think attributed to my enormous weight gain. I'm happy to say I'm powering through the depression and anxiety and still going to the gym. I just hope I can keep doing that. I don't take the meds because to be honest I just can't do it. I don't have the willpower to take a pill daily, I just get to the point where I'm like.. ehhhh.. I'll take it later and I never do.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    Hi everyone raven here. I'm 18 and at the moment i'm waiting to be diagnosed. At the moment i have a blanket diagnosis of psycosis due to me hallucinating. Some days are good and others are bad. I also suffer from anxiety and food has always been my go to.
    I was bullied a lot at school and started to hallucinate roughly when i was 13/14, being me i didnt realise that this wasnt normal until i was 16 and in college. Then i had a really bad psychotic break and have absolutely no idea what i did for a week almost got kicked of my course because i apparently wasnt going in. Had a really bad experience with seeing a pschiatrist the first tme round. She made me feel like i was wasting her time and was pretty scary. I'm back seeing a councillor who is nice and encourages me to talk even though i'm very shy and i struggle to get my words in the right order sometimes.
  • sia12345
    sia12345 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 31 and have suffered from numerous mental health issues since I was 19. First of serious anorexia for a number of years. Now it is chronic PTSD, borderline Personality disorder, dissociative disorder and so on. I have also been self injuring for a number of years and havent slept without meds since 2003. I have spent over two years in different hospitals, lived in other institutions. Since 2005 I have lived in my own appartment but I have staff that looks after me and give me support so that I can live as normally as I can.

Right now I am studying to become a clinical psychologist. I do have many year left to study but at leat I am going somewhere. I am also very active in politics and plan to work with health issues while a politician.

As you can probably see I am not from the US but Norway where we have free health care, also free uni education. I dont think I would be alive if not. Too expensive for my parents.