Introductions

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Rhonnda and my psych refuses to use labels. ~chuckles~ I understand the reason behind this practice but it can be a bit frustrating.

I have lived with severe mood swings and depression from my earliest memories around age four or five. I'm now almost 49.

I self medicated with alcohol through most of my teens and twenties and finally went under a psych's care when I in my late 20s. I've lost track of the different medications and in what combinations I've taken. I'm one of the unlucky ones for whom a med will work for a short period of time and then stop. My latest combination, however, has been working for well over a year now which is about four times as long as anything else, so I have hopes.

In my early thirties I suffered from oxygen deprivation which messed up my short term memory, and may well have been the trigger for a series of phobias as well as the worsening of my anxiety and depression.

I've had one major and two minor breakdowns. Lived with daily panic attacks. Still have no real concept of what 'happiness' is. And most recently I've started having brief visual hallucinations.

It seems that my symptoms will continue to worsen as the years go by.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Rhonnda and my psych refuses to use labels. ~chuckles~ I understand the reason behind this practice but it can be a bit frustrating.

I find this refreshing. Hi, my name is Sarah and I would prefer not to list everything I have been "diagnosed" with. I understand how labels can help, and in some cases (for some people) are necessary for them to recognize and begin the treatment process. I have been given so many different diagnosis, I gave up on trying to label and understand them. They are all intertwined, and while some fit more than others, not one diagnosis fits completely. .

I am shy and have problems expressing myself properly at times, so I tend not to. I have always had problems socially, this partially to the fact that I am a horrible listener. I daydream, zone out, and often take what they say wrong. Not wrong in a bad way, but I what I think is similar is usually not to them. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's what happens. I think this is where my focus is going to be these next couple of years. The last couple I have spent on trying to focus on tasks and anxiety.

I look forward to what this group may offer.
  • gerink
    gerink Posts: 50
    Options
    Glad to see someone started a group for these issues. Have had depression since college (too long ago to count the years). Been on and off meds. Had a 20 yr abusive marriage that I got out of and into a 10 yr relationship with a man who told me I was the "love of his life" and we were engaged. Thought things were finally working out. Depression set in as I dealt with my daughter and her issues as she grew up. Fiancee suddenly dumped me with "not getting enough companionship" due to the depression I was in (wouldn't even try to work it out - betrayed me and my issues to his new girlfriend when we were still together (now his wife). Needless to say that put me in a tailspin. Put on the weight. Trying to get back my life and out of the depression and lose the weight. Trying to find happy.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    This is awesome someone started a mental health group, very cool! :)

My name is Monica, I was recently diagnosed with chronic PTSD. My family life was very chaotic and violent as a child. My father was a Vietnam vet and suffered from PTSD as well as depression, was an alcoholic. He had issues with women and was very cruel to my mother (and his other 5 wives). Physically he didn't hurt us kids, but could be very emotionally/mentall cruel. My mom and dad divorced when I was a teen, couple years after the divorce my mom had her boyfriend move in. Of course being the rebellious teen, i moved in with my dad because at least I knew what to expect from my dad (my mom's bf and I did not get along AT ALL).

My dad passed away after I graduated from HS. I was homeless for about a year after that, met my ex-husband, got pregnant and was with him for about 8 years. Of course, my ex was very similar to my dad, he could be physically violent, mentally cruel and was not a good provider.

I finally left in 2002 with my kids and moved in with my mom. I lived with her for 2 years until I could get on my feet and could provide for myself and my kids.

I've been on and off meds for about 3 years to help with anxiety, insomnia, panic attacks & OCD issues. This past April I found a great therapist who diagnosed me with chronic PTSD and is helping me work on all of my issues and help me move out of "survival" mode. Having this diagnosis has helped me realize why I am the way I am - as an example, why I'm hyper-sensitive to conflict, particularly when children are involved. It also made me understand how deeply violence in the home can affect children and how deep those emotional scars can be. I love to have a peaceful home life and make sure my children have a unchaotic home life (everything I didn't have as a child).

My current "homework" from my therapist is to work out 4-5 days a week (versus 5-6 days a week). I tend to do things "balls out" or nothing. I love the "high" I get out of working out, and it helps work out some of the demons that haunt me. So I'm trying not to over-do it with my workouts, and really focus on my nutrition - well the best I can especially during the holidays. LOL

The other part of my homework is I'm supposed to buy myself something. It has to be something for only me, it can't be something that I need - it has to be a WANT. I thought that would be really easy, but it has been a pain in my *kitten*! Something so simple and of course I over-think it or just flat avoid it (avoidance is my favorite, btw - lol).

Looking forward to the additional support! :)
  • vittix
    vittix Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi folks I'm Vicki 37 and mother to a 14yr , I've always had the "blues" that would come off and on. Always been odd. In my 20's i was told i was bi-polar and i have anxiety. I'm a feeling eater. I started med's played the what med works for you game. I was 364 lbs by the time i was 25. I will never not take my meds. I wouldn't do that to my son. My mom was a cutter, has DID and i believe Bi-polar. She would drink, cut end up in the hospital and when she would come home i didn't know who would be coming home. It wasn't till i was older that i set boundaries with her. She says its me pushing her away. Thats me taking control. Again i won't do that to my son. My son has asperger's syndrome. He too eats his feelings has mood swings, ADHA OCD. It can be allot, i want him to know I'm gonna be there for him. We have also talked about Bi-Polar ( his Dad has it as well) I'm taking control of my health, or at least my diet. i need him to see he can make a change and not set out on that same path i did. :)
  • JayTeah
    JayTeah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Justine, 27 and live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I suffer from OCD, Anxiety, PTSD and recently started seeking help this last month.

About 4 years ago, my Grandmother, who I was extremely close to, passed away. Exactly one year later, I buried my fiance who I had been with for 5 years. His family went crazy, attacked me at the funeral, conned me into signing for the plot as well as the ceremony (upwards up $33k) and puppy snatched my 3 year old Yorkie. The harassment, stalking and abuse was too much to handle - I just didn't seek help immediately. I thought I could self diagnose and ate edibles for three months while sitting on the couch while my Dad recovered from prostate cancer.

I constantly bite my nails to the point of bleeding, scratch my legs, and pick at my fingers. Majority of people that surround me would be surprised to hear that I suffer from Anxiety. Reason being, I host dinner parties for about 14 people with my current boyfriend at our home, as well as craft parties with upwards of 20 girls and go out regularly to concerts/shows/galleries. I am extremely outgoing and well spoken for the most part - - but the moment my anxiety hits me, I lose it. My stomach decides to empty itself wherever I am at the time (this happens 75% of the time I go out) and I end up attempting to hide this.

I'm at the point that I am sick of going backwards and only want to move forward in all aspects of my life. I want to be a happy and healthy woman who eventually will marry and have children. I am sick of feeling like I don't have control over my thoughts and feelings.

I am meeting with a new therapist on Monday and hopefully she will have some more insight versus the last Doctor. I'm happy to find a group that grasps what it is to have built a wall and are now ready to break it down, piece by piece, pound by pound.

I'm ready! :flowerforyou:
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Kristi, I'm 37 and I'm not sure if I belong in this group or not. I've never been diagnosed with any mental health issues but I do feel that I have some lingering emotional and psychological baggage that I need to deal with. I've dabbled in therapy but stopped going because of the associated costs.

I basically joined this group to ask the question "Are you guys okay with me being here, or do you feel there would be another group more suited to my situation?"

If you feel that I don't quite fit the demographic or feel that I would not have the same understanding, let me know and I will remove myself.

Thanks
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Kristi, I'm 37 and I'm not sure if I belong in this group or not. I've never been diagnosed with any mental health issues but I do feel that I have some lingering emotional and psychological baggage that I need to deal with. I've dabbled in therapy but stopped going because of the associated costs.

I basically joined this group to ask the question "Are you guys okay with me being here, or do you feel there would be another group more suited to my situation?"

If you feel that I don't quite fit the demographic or feel that I would not have the same understanding, let me know and I will remove myself.

Thanks

@Kristi: This group is public so everybody is welcome to join it. Feel free to read the different topics and look around. You never know, you may discover something that helps you.

Thomasm198
    Group Administrator
  • laughingwasabi
    Options
    Hi.

My name is Clara, I'm 22 years old and like a lot of people mental illness runs in my family!

My father is Bipolar, my mother (who passed away last February due to a medical mistake related to her mental illness) suffered from depression, and probably borderline personality disorder, my sister is a chronic alcoholic, and I couldn't talk about my brother because (except at my mother's deathbed) I haven't seen/spoken to him in 15 years. So my childhood was full of hospital visit (for both parents and us kids), lots of cops, and insanity.

As for myself, I tend to not use labels, simple because so many have been thrown at me. Anxiety NOS, mood disorder NOS, bipolar, depression, OCD, ADD, PTSD, BPD, social phobia, dissociative disorder NOS... the list goes on and on.

Until about 2 years ago, I lived on my own and dealt with my myriad of symptoms (overwhelming anxiety, dramatic mood swings, periods of dissociation, paranoia/delusions and anxiety) through self injury. But now, I'm in a stable relationship with a great man and it kills him to see me do that to myself, so I turned to eating instead. Now, my symptoms are out of control and I've gained 50lbs, making my social phobia even worse!

I'm just hoping to find enough strength and support to work though this without the help of medication (I've gone toxic on lithium due to a drs. stupidity, so I've been fighting their use ever since) or a counselor (because I'm a poor college student and can't afford anything).

Thanks for starting this group!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - I'm Barbara, a month away from turning 26, and I'm from the Midwest. I deal with anxiety, depression, and OCD. Depression runs in my family, and my fiancee also has suffered from depression in the past and has social anxiety.

In the last few years, I've managed to get a hold of my depression. My biggest obstacles are the OCD and anxiety. I was always a "serious" kid and I'm also a "serious" adult. I've had brief spurts of living it up and having fun, but for the most part, my life is a constant to-do list and I get unnaturally stressed out if things are the way I think they should be. My anxiety skyrocketed this year, and my doctor put me on Celexa. My biggest goal is to be able to lose weight, have an active and happy lifestyle, and to hopefully overcome a lot of the pressures I put on myself and not be so tied down by my "disorders."
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I have Borderline (diagnosed) and my DBT therapist figured I was Avoidant as well. I struggle with the cyclical mental crashes, extreme mood swings, and self destructive behaviors associated with having Borderline.
    I know I had BPD since I was about 6 years old, but was finally diagnosed after a self harm event that put me in the hospital for 3 days in 2004.
    I have been through the first part of DBT, but there is no on going support program in my city.
    I would like to say I am currently stable, but I crashed hard Dec 2. I think as of today Dec 13, I have regained 'stable'.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Hello folks!

I just joined this group as I've been struggling a lot lately with some issues.

A bit about me...I'm OCD (diagnosed) and suffer from anxiety disorder. I also have bouts of depression which generally are caused by the stress of the two other issues.

I grew up in a home with a manic depressed brother and a psychotic mother...both are now medicated and "numb" to life, as I put it but I'm trying my best to make any kind of changes so that I don't have that same future and need minimal medications.

For the most part.....the OCD is what really runs my life. I have a hard time just getting out of my front door as I have to check everything in a certain way, a trillion times. It kind of makes my skin crawl when people say "I'm so OCD about that (like say logging calories or wanting to clean 2 times a week).". It's such a horrible thing to figure out and live with and it's taken me 5 years to feel somewhat normal again.

Anyhoot...that's just a bit about me.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Jessica and I have depression and social anxiety and OCD. I have struggled with depression since after my son was born 10 year ago. I have been hospitalized 4 times for attempted suicide attempts. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one in the weight loss group that has mental health issues.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm Chani. i'm 26 and live in Ohio. i'm a licensed independent social worker and i work primarily with kids (and their families). my current diagnosis is major depressive disorder although in the past i also carried diagnoses of generalized anxiety disorder and an adjustment disorder, as well as an eating disorder nos. i've been doing therapy off and on for about 5 years and meds off and on for about 4. i, unfortunately, cannot function without an antidepressant. the current one i'm on is Pristiq and it seems to be working well for me. i would also say i have a little bit of OCD tendencies as well as some bipolar traits but nothing diagnosed.

i was hospitalized once in March 2010 due to suicidal ideation and couldn't contract for safety, so i was involuntarily held for 72 hours. worst time of my life...i vow to never have that happen again.

exercising has helped me so much...such a great feel-good exercise for me. i love it. so glad to have found this group!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both diagnosed with Mood Disorder NOS. We have two daughters who also share this diagnosis. We weren't aware of our mental illness when we got married and had kids. Apparently, because both the father and mother suffer from MD NOS, our kids had a 75% chance of being the same. My youngest daughter (now 10) exhibited signs very early, our oldest daughter (now 12) was not so apparent at first. It has been a challenge for sure. We are all currently under psychiatric care and have found medications that help. Considering our situation, we live a pretty normal, happy life. I can't stress enough to all of you how important it is to find the right doctor and the right medication combination. It takes awhile to get it figured out, but it is so worth it!
  • KickingDarkness
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new both to this group and to the site. I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia. Got sick for the first time 4 years ago and was hospitalized at the time with drug induced psychosis. The medication that they put me on caused me to gain 75 pounds in one year. (I was always slim prior to that). I lost some of that weight a couple of years ago after they took me off that med, but haven't lost any since. I joined cause I want to be able to lose weight in spite of the meds.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new both to this group and to the site. I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia. Got sick for the first time 4 years ago and was hospitalized at the time with drug induced psychosis. The medication that they put me on caused me to gain 75 pounds in one year. (I was always slim prior to that). I lost some of that weight a couple of years ago after they took me off that med, but haven't lost any since. I joined cause I want to be able to lose weight in spite of the meds.

Welcome to the group. Please feel free to post a topic. :smile:

Thomasm198
    Group Administrator
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Becca and I'm 22. I'm from England, and I'm diagnosed with a panic disorder and depression which stems from it (and possible PTSD, long story!). I've always sort of used food to deal with that, and then once I started on medication my weight shot up, so here I am! I find my medication helps me so much that I don't want to come off it, so the only way to change is to deal with how I see food and to lose weight!

Hope you're all doing well!
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm new to the group I just found it while looking for friends with PTSD. I have CPTSD and really struggle with it on a daily basis. I'm not up to typing much at the moment but I just wanted to say hello. I'll probably add more when I'm feeling a bit better.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    I'm Be, 27, and been diagnosed with a lot of conflicting things (it seems): ADD, Bipolar, Dissociative Identity Disorder, bulimia, etc. There are 8 of me that I know of and someone is always very sad. I typically just tell people that I'm a little messed up/weird and go on with life. My mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all dealt with crippling mental illness. (My brother also deals with his mental illness but has, unfortunately, wound up in prison, on the streets, and addicted to things.) I am unmedicated but have somehow managed to make it thru addictions, a psychotic break, abuse, and other bizarre circumstance. My flippancy is kind of a coping mechanism after "giving up" self-injury. I have tried to commit suicide twice.

Hello everyone. :)