Introductions

Options

Replies

• KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys! I'm Kyli and running is my new addiction! I just ran my first 5k last Saturday, a trail run that was a lot harder than I anticipated. I had just finished c25k (skipped a couple days towards the end, actually, so I could run a full 3 miles at least twice before the race) and finished in 28:19. I think adrenaline had a lot to do with it, because I wasn't running that well in training. I had so much fun and my next 5k is next Saturday. I can't wait! I run every other day and this past week I ran 4 miles each day. This week I'm going to try 5 miles and see how that goes. I'd like to work on increasing my distance and eventually run a 10k and then a mini! I always assumed that I hated running, but I freaking love it! I wish I had discovered this a long time ago! Running makes me HAPPY and I love taking off without a route planned out and just go wherever. It's so freeing and an awesome feeling! :happy:
  • docsharon
    docsharon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sharon. Just ran in the NY Mini 10K today, an all woman race around and in Central Park. I'm relatively new to running, having started last year doing 5K's and building up to the More 1/2 Marathon in April. I'm 60 years old and have always been pretty much of a slup when it came to exercise, but I really enjoy running and how many calories it burns in a relatively short time! I really like going out with a running group, but I do Galloway's Run/Walk/Run method and usually get left in the dust. I've enjoyed reading everyone's introductions.
  • scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, im paula from bonnie scotland, i've been running for 2 years minus a few months of injury time. I have completed a couple of 10km races and now want to train for a half marathon. :laugh:
  • leeapeea
    leeapeea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Leah from New Hampshire. I started running about three years ago and to date my longest distance is just under 30 miles. Most of my runs are between half and marathon length. I've got an "ultra hike" of 29 miles in the fall and a trail marathon in November, as well as several trail races this summer between 5K and 15K. I do ok at about a 12 minute mile for anything over a half marathon, but I'd like to get faster at shorter runs (my current 5K pace is maybe 9:50 minute mile), and get more comfortable with a marathon distance.

I came in to running via an Ultra marathon group, so ultimate goal is to run my first 50K on Memorial Day weekend in 2013.
  • daytonadolphin9
    Options
    Hi I am Rob. I started running on Jan 28, 2012 after some 20 years of not running. My son who is a wrestler for his high school was sick of running by himself. He asked me on night to go with him. I told him I would go with him but no promises, as I am old and fat. We ended up running 2 1/2 miles with out stopping that night. since then I have ran 3 5K's and a 4 miler. I have made it my goal to run and finish a 1/2 marathon this year, a full next year and to run the Disney Goofy in 2014. For those of you that dont know what the Goofy is it is a 1/2 on Saturday and a full on Sunday. I have seen my weight go down and I am the lightest I have been since middle school. And I have untold amounts of energy. Never thought I could do this but I have it set in my mind that I will never be over weight again. I will do this for me and my family.
  • TennisQtpye
    TennisQtpye Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm brandi and I am preparing to run my first 5K the color run! Hopefully moving my way to a half marathon.
  • shan_welch
    shan_welch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Im Shannon from New Zealand! I ran my first half marathon in nov 2011 and have just bought my ticket for the Auckland full marathon in oct! training starts in a couple of weeks! exciting but scary! any marathon runners with tips?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I've been back and forth to fp for a while and it found it works when I'm working. My problem is loss of focus so I've decided to integrate fitness into my life to hold everything together. The only sport I can do is running - I'm not going to break any records (and hopefully not an ankle or leg lol) but its something I've always enjoyed. I'm lucky to live next to a a beautiful area in the UK called cannock chase so most of my running is going to be track, cross country. I managed to stagger round a half a couple of years ago but an injury and then a good dose of swine flu got in the way and I stopped. I had a mad spell earlier this year and booked up for another half in October. This is out of my reach now but I'm starting to move again and plan to build up slowly and see how I go. If I can't make october I'll just wait until I am. It does seem the future for me. I need to loose a load of weight (50+) so I'm sure loosing a lot will also help me run better and faster so the two are vital and symbiotic as far as I can see. Looking forward to listening and chipping in here when I can :-)
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm new to running. I'm on week 8 day2 of c25k. It's now my addiction. I have a 5k on July 15. My time is embarrassing but I can run the whole thing.
    Any advice I'd love. Thanks
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi, my my name's Bobbie and i have done races ranging from two miles to half marathon. The only distances eluding me are the 10K and the full marathon. I am signed up for a progressive marathon on July 29. this is where you run 23.1 of the marathon distance and on race day you finish the last 3.1, aka, 5K. This is in conjunction with the San Francisco Marathon. This is the only marathon race I know of that does this. I will get a finisher's medal for the progressive marathon so I will finally be able to say I have done a marathon.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...so I will finally be able to say I have done a marathon.

Not exactly, but still a great accomplishment.

Welcome to the group.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hi, Julie here checking in from SoCal, and I'm working my way towards being a long distance runner. I'll be running my first 5k today (eep!) and I'm not exactly quick, but at least I know I can move that far without dying!

I have fibromyalgia, and it can be a real pain (har har!) when I overexert myself. I'm still learning how to pace myself with the workouts so that I don't end up bed-ridden for the week. I've been taking pilates classes, am strength training 2x a week, and am reading Hal Higdon's Marathon to help with my run training.

Right now I'm at the early stages of running my way to a half marathon. My sister and I signed up for the Tinker Bell Half in January, so I have about six months of training ahead of me. Feel kinda scared about the whole process, but at least I know I'll have a kick-*kitten* time at Disneyland at the end of it all!

I might even find out that I'm actually into this whole running thing. :smile:
  • Joysuzhou
    Joysuzhou Posts: 29
    Options
    I am joy. I have been running since 3 yrs ago. I have not officially done a half marathon yet, but I have run as far as 15 miles at 6.8 mph, I am striving to be stronger and faster and would love to run a marathon in next 2 years!
  • RedRelish
    RedRelish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Michelle. I'm from BC, Canada, just outside of Vancouver. I started running on a whim about 2 years ago and have been loving it ever since. I've done a couple 10k's and just completed my first half marathon in June. Recently signed up for another half in October and am psyched to start my training tomorrow!
  • mrsplatts
    mrsplatts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Marie from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm running my third half marathon in September. One day, I'd like to do a full, but with two little kids it's hard to get the time to train in.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tammy, and I'm a fairly new runner. I actually just started running in late March/early April. I ran my first 5k last month, and am currently on the first week of Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon plan. My plan is to run another 5k in August, a 10k in September, and a half marathon in October. Running has always been scary for me, because I grew up with asthma, but now that I have it under control, I am facing my fear head on, and I am finding that I LOVE IT! I will likely never be fast, so I plan to just spend my time enjoying the scenery and listening to some good running tunes along the way. :-)
  • KmSmiles49
    Options
    Hello! I'm Kristina and I'm from Cleveland. I have been running for about 10 years now. I started out just doing leisurely runs around the neighborhood, 2-3 miles at a time. About 5 years back I started doing races. Mainly 5K's and 10K's. I kind of fell off the wagon a bit and then got into running longer distances in 2011. I had talked so much about doing a full marathon, that I decided I needed to stop talking about it and actually decided to do one in October 2011. It went alright. I was planning a wedding (married Nov. 2011) and started my first semester at dental school, so my training really suffered (meaning, I barely did any training at all). Race day came and I decided oh well... Didn't train nearly enough but if I have to walk or crawl across the finish line, I was going to finish the marathon. I ran the whole way and finished in a little over 4 hours. Not too terrible. I was going to try and do another marathon this year, but again, my long distance training has been lacking (and I don't want to just finish this year, I want to run a much better time). I've decided to stick to a half for this year, 2012 (Akron Marathon in September), and then am going to try to finish under 4 hours for a marathon in 2013. My mile time is now down to just under 8 mins (Best i've ever run in a race was a 7:24) so I'm happy that my time is getting better :) I've been doing more 'fun' races this year (color run, Shot in the dark, and am doing the Warrior Dash in August).

I look forward to meeting new people on here and getting motivated to be a better runner!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! I'm Stacey. I ahve been running for over 10 years now. My favorite distance is 13.1 miles. I have always loved running, but even more so since I've lost 60 lbs. Hope to make some new friends on here!
  • runnersdiary
    Options
    Hello! My name is Mairead and I'm from San Antonio, Texas. I attend college in Austin. In high school, I was a very good XC and track runner. I was looking to run for a DIII school on scholarship. Then, I tore my achilles tendon the third race of the season. It has kept nagging me ever since then, but running is like riding a bike to me. I got back into it really quickly. I enjoy doing 5ks and running on hills. Someday I will do a half marathon, but school has kept me busy!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Hi all! I'm currently in the middle of completing C25K with only 4 weeks left in the program. I have two 5K's I've signed up for in September, and then I have a 10K on my radar that is in February of next year. I'm also looking at doing a triathlon in May of next year. I really love running and have pretty much fallen in love with it, and I hope it's something I can continue to do for a long time. Eventually I would like to do a half, full, and ultra marathon (all on the bucket list!) but for now, I'll work on my 5K distance and see where I go from there. (: