Day one challenge!

Options
shovav91
shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
Good morning CAD'ers! I hope you've had a wonderful day thus far. Today's challenge is to make you a little more aware of what goes into your body. It may not be easy, but I hope you all give it a try!

Today's challenge:
No artificial sweeteners. This may be difficult because so many people rely on them, but I want you to at least try. Read labels, and stick to water if you usually drink diet soda or other diet drinks.

Why?
I've been using them a lot for the past few days, and I have noticed that I've become bloated and head-achy. I'm not sure if the sweeteners are to blame, so let's find out! Although it hasn't been proven 100% one way or another if they are truly detrimental to your health and diet, it's difficult to imagine that putting massive amounts of chemicals in your body is completely safe. Regardless, I want you to realize how much you're really using them. Check yogurts, cereals, drinks,granola bars etc... chemicals you wouldn't expect are often put into foods.

Best of luck! Let's do this :D

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    Are you counting truvia in with those artificial sweetners? Ive read its a lot better. But thats the only sweetener I use.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Good Night! (21:24 here :p)

I don't normally have artificial sweeteners, but I will keep a look out.

Do you consider stevia to be an artificial sweetener?
  • shovav91
    Options
    Stevia and Truvia are more naturally derived than other sweeteners, but are still considered artificial sweeteners. I'll leave that to your discretion :D
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Water water water for me today then instead of my normal diet coke:drinker:
  • shovav91
    Options

Excellent! What other swaps are you guys making?
    I added a little hot cocoa powder to my coffee instead of Splenda, it's tasty! :D
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    No soft drink for me at all tommorow which is a big deal for me! I used be drink 6-7 cans and now down to 1 a day, tommorow I'm going to make a big effort and have water all day! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I think this one will be an easy one for me. I normally do what I can to stay away from artificial sweeteners. I think the only thing I have to check today is my yogurt. I don't feel good when I eat them.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How do I know what is an artificial sweetener? Besides soft drink of course ;-)
  • bens_mommy
    Options

Excellent! What other swaps are you guys making?
    I added a little hot cocoa powder to my coffee instead of Splenda, it's tasty! :D

I love doing this, especially when I have a few extra calories to eat. =P Sooo tasty! Throw some pumpkin spice in there and it's HEAVEN.
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    No soft drink for me at all tommorow which is a big deal for me! I used be drink 6-7 cans and now down to 1 a day, tommorow I'm going to make a big effort and have water all day! :)

Oh gosh, good luck! :D I used to be a Dr. Pepper-aholic, but slowly switched to tea. Now when I drink soda I start feeling all gross. I couldn't be without tea!
  • shovav91
    Options

What a fantastic change you're making- your body will thank you! If you extend that by a few days, you will probably even start to feel the difference it's making. When I cut out diet soda, after a couple weeks I had more energy and was sleeping better. The headaches I was having even went away! I hope you have similar results :D
  • shovav91
    Options
    I think this one will be an easy one for me. I normally do what I can to stay away from artificial sweeteners. I think the only thing I have to check today is my yogurt. I don't feel good when I eat them.

That's fantastic that you generally stay away from them! I'm sure it will serve you well in the long term :D
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    this one is super difficult for me! I think I will try and reduce the amount of artificial sweeteners I use. Unfortunately for me its in a ton of the thing i eat everyday: sugar free gum/mints, sugar free hot chocolate mix, eddy's ice cream sweetened with splenda, my coffee, diet soda, i add it to oatmeal with cinnamon ect. ect.

I agree that it probably not god for you. I especially notice when I tried to quit drinking diet soda I felt sick and got severe cravings for a long period of time ugh.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    This is a great challenge!
  • shovav91
    Options
    this one is super difficult for me! I think I will try and reduce the amount of artificial sweeteners I use. Unfortunately for me its in a ton of the thing i eat everyday: sugar free gum/mints, sugar free hot chocolate mix, eddy's ice cream sweetened with splenda, my coffee, diet soda, i add it to oatmeal with cinnamon ect. ect.

I agree that it probably not god for you. I especially notice when I tried to quit drinking diet soda I felt sick and got severe cravings for a long period of time ugh.
    You're not the first person I've heard who gets withdrawal-like symptoms when they stop consuming artificial sweeteners... Kind of concerning =/
    I like that you're at least trying to reduce the amount you consume!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Day one is pretty easy for me...I don't usually use artificial sweeteners. I will be more diligent in reading labels to make sure nothing is snuck in there...
  • j4zzy
    j4zzy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Yay for water!
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I wish I had read this before I ate my Yoplait which I discovered has high fructose corn syrup (yikes!) and my cuppa coffee that I have Splenda.

Reading that Yoplait label was an eye-opener.

I'll do better the rest of the day.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I'll be sticking to water for the day! Keep the juice for another time, lol.

And I will check my food for any added sugars or other sweeteners, and try to keep that in check, as well!
  • shovav91
    Options
    I wish I had read this before I ate my Yoplait which I discovered has high fructose corn syrup (yikes!) and my cuppa coffee that I have Splenda.

Reading that Yoplait label was an eye-opener.

I'll do better the rest of the day.

That's what this challenge is all about- making you more aware of what you're eating! I'm glad you made that discovery :D