Where are you in the program? What else do you do?

Options
124»

Replies

• oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just knew my first ever forum post was going to be about NROLFW!!! What a truely amazing and interesting book....and after reading the previous NROLFW 3 ongoing threads, I wanted to a part of this group. Everyone is at such different points, but seems so supportive!!!

Today is the day..........week 1, day 1, workout A!!

I started my weight loss journey June '10 with a hubby who was not supportive in any way. I had bought a treadmill midwise during my pregnancy with my second son, but it took until 3 months PP with all of the issues to get active with it!!! The running bug bit me square in the behind and I love having the stress relief I get out of a simple 30 min. HITT session or easy steady pace.

Any strength training concept that I thought would be good has never kept me hooked, until I read this book. You will see me through the 7 stages, I will gain strength/power, this is going to be the key of changing my body composition. My weight range has been as high as 209 lbs/June 2010 and as low as 152 lbs /Aug 2011. My mental battle will be not letting the scale control me during the initial phases of the program, so I am choosing my only tightish pair of pants to be the judge of inches lost/body recomp. Thanks for letting me be a part of this group!!!!!!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Finished Stage 1 workout A #2....
    Had to do the whole thing at home...but I think for a home workout...I burned 102 calories in about 19 minutes....30% in fat burning zone! That I like!! Still seems like these first workouts...not much in there..but I feel my muscles responding....
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    welcome to the new ladies !

Stage 1 week two workout B yesterday. I upped my lat. pulldowns to 75 # and totally feel it across my back...in a good way :bigsmile: My deadlifts are still at 75 #.

I also lost 1 1/2 lbs. this week !! Super excited to say the least.

I did a core and more class before my set and realized that I should do it after my set. We use dumbells and do a lot of different things that over lap ( such as 7 min. abs at the end of class ) , so by the time I got to my lunges in my workout I was a bit tired.
    It's hard to get to the gym at 8 am on a Saturday when you don't really need to get up. But I'll do it.... yes I will.
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!!!

I enjoyed my first day....and am ready for more tomorrow. I am looking forward to when I feel more confident in my technique and form, so glad to be doing this at home right now!! The options for public gyms are but a lonely 1 (Curves does not count IMO :grumble: ) and between the boys and my husband, I would max out at 2 workouts there a week with our work schedules, even if he was on board.

Have a great week my NROLFW peeps!!!!!! :smile:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just now getting around to reading the thread. I'm almost through Phase One, one more week and I'm on to Phase Two. I train at home... Lifting M-W-F and sometimes get in some running and circuit DVDs on T-Th-Sat. Sundays off. I LOVE lifting, I agree with what other ladies have said, it's a great challenge, and it seems more empowering than just doing steady state cardio. I'm a steady 130lbs, give or take a few, not too concerned with that. I want to lose BF% and see more definition in my abs and glutes.

Right now I'm at 100lbs for deads, squatting 90 and lunge/step-ups at 30 or 35. I do variations of pushup ("T") with dumbbells. I like to know that I can work hard, feel good, and NOT get bulky! This workout has me looking sleeker than before, it's really nice. Can't wait to see what another few months will bring. I'll probably turn around and start it over again, or be on to something new.

Nice to have the support on here. Let's do this!

**edit** and, I eat like a horse. :-D
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Just now getting around to reading the thread. I'm almost through Phase One, one more week and I'm on to Phase Two.
    Right now I'm at 100lbs for deads, squatting 90 and lunge/step-ups at 30 or 35.
    I'm at the same point in the program as you (only lifting 2x a week). When you say "lunge/step-ups at 30 or 35" do you mean two 30-35lb dumbbells? I've always wondered how people log things when it's two dumbbells. (I currently have it logged as "20lbs" but it's really two 20lb dumbbells.)

My deads were 90lbs last week, and squats were 95lbs.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    Just now getting around to reading the thread. I'm almost through Phase One, one more week and I'm on to Phase Two.
    Right now I'm at 100lbs for deads, squatting 90 and lunge/step-ups at 30 or 35.
    I'm at the same point in the program as you (only lifting 2x a week). When you say "lunge/step-ups at 30 or 35" do you mean two 30-35lb dumbbells? I've always wondered how people log things when it's two dumbbells. (I currently have it logged as "20lbs" but it's really two 20lb dumbbells.)

I just looked at my log - i made a mistake - I'm at 120 for deads - 3 sets of 8 - and lift to failure at the last set. I don't think I'll be upping the weight anytime soon!

Yes, I use 30 or 35lb dumbbells for stepups and lunges. Just this morning I realized I could handle more than 30 lbs for step-ups (step is at the bottom of my kneecap, knee bent at 90*), but the reason I'm holding off is the FEAR of banging my shin on the highest step!! I use a step ladder and if I want to have proper form, pushing through my heel, I end up banging my shin on the step above.

DH needs to build me a crude box or something.. heck maybe I'll do it myself... in my "spare time" (haha)

Awesome job with squats! I think I'm going to up mine a tad and see where I end up!
  • ennaejay
    Options

I am not learned in this field, but I'm curious -- I wonder if you could handle more than you think on the deads. It seems to me, if you're squatting 95, you could handle at least that much weight with your deadlifts.

Any thoughts??? Does anyone else have varying levels of strength?

I guess squats are heavily quad work and deads are glutes and hammies?
  • agthorn
    Options

I am not learned in this field, but I'm curious -- I wonder if you could handle more than you think on the deads. It seems to me, if you're squatting 95, you could handle at least that much weight with your deadlifts.

I actually felt like I was at my limit with the deads last week (completed 3 sets of 8 but struggled with the last 2-3 reps), but that I could definitely go higher on the squats. I admit some of it is due to building grip strength though. There's definitely more back involved in the deads, too. My plan was to stick with 90lbs for the deads and go somewhere over 100 for the squats. Last week I had also done a yoga class before each lifting session (just completed a challenge at my yoga studio) and while it wasn't a vigorous class, I wasn't 100% fresh walking into the weight room.
  • ennaejay
    Options

I actually felt like I was at my limit with the deads last week (completed 3 sets of 8 but struggled with the last 2-3 reps), but that I could definitely go higher on the squats. I admit some of it is due to building grip strength though. There's definitely more back involved in the deads, too. My plan was to stick with 90lbs for the deads and go somewhere over 100 for the squats. Last week I had also done a yoga class before each lifting session (just completed a challenge at my yoga studio) and while it wasn't a vigorous class, I wasn't 100% fresh walking into the weight room.

huh, cool. I agree with more back involved - I really get worried I'll lose form and my lower back feels it the next day - I use a mirror and try to keep my back flat and abs tight - do you have any suggestions for me on proper form? I don't have Youtube but have been around some different bodybuilding sites to see videos on proper form, I *think* i've got it down...

It's always scary to add weights to those IMO.

Wow, you lift after doing yoga? Brave woman!!!! :) In all honestly I think that might be more relaxing to do yoga after lifting, like a nice streching session, no more bumping up the heart rate.
  • agthorn
    Options
    Wow, you lift after doing yoga? Brave woman!!!! :) In all honestly I think that might be more relaxing to do yoga after lifting, like a nice streching session, no more bumping up the heart rate.
    Just for two weeks (four sessions) - My studio was doing a 25-Day Challenge (practice 25 days out of 30) so there were two weeks that I had to go to a yoga class every day. I would have preferred to lift first and then do the yoga class, but the gentlest class was at 4:30 and there just wasn't enough time to lift before that (and the 7:30 class was a vigorous flow class that would have been way too much work after lifting). I'm looking forward to getting back to my regular 3-4x a week yoga and having focused lifting days :-)

As for form, I had a bodybuilding friend give me a tutorial session before I started the program. I tend to keep my feet a little wider for more stability. Definitely keep the abs pulled in tight, and he told me to pull the shoulders back and puff the chest out a bit at the top of the movement.
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Week 2 workout A last night. I still used 65 on my squats, but I felt my form was really good, and I seemed to get lower, so I am going to add weight next time I do this workout.

I upped my rows to 90 lbs....that was really good. Not crazy about those step ups, my knees just crunch by the time I get to them.

I was doing the pushups at 30 degrees, but my husband said to go up higher because my form wasn't great. Apparently my *kitten* is too high and my elbows aren't close enough to my body. I tend to point them out. :grumble: So that was a disappointment.

Feeling stronger...can't wait till Thursday!