Vegitarian/Vegan Recipes

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
Post your vegetarian or vegan recipes here.

Replies

• anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Lighter Eggplant Parmesan:

I seriously love all of Gina's recipes, but my favourite of all her vegetarian dishes (among those I've tried), is her eggplant parmesan. Seriously delicious!

Follow the link.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/lighter-eggplant-parmesan-5-pts.html

And the smell while this is cooking is out of this world!
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Indian lentil dahl is AWESOME... full of good proteins, vitamins.... It's a vegan dish my bf and I both thoroughly enjoy.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Any minestrone soup...all are different...the last one I made had green beans, canalleni beans, kale, garlic (of course), broth, orzo and a tad of tomato paste of course seasonings s&p and oregano. I didn't add potatoes but the recipe called for them.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Making this tonight for my Meatless Monday. Incredible!!! Anyone who is a fan of Macaroni and Cheese and just wants comfort food, will love this.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/skinny-baked-broccoli-macaroni-and.html#comment-form

You have got to try this. Tastes great pre-baked and smells incredible as it's baking. The final product is phenomenal. So worth the time it takes to put this together.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.

I found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and cranberries!? But I was curious so I had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!My daughter makes this with cranberries i found them yo sweet and used prunes instead

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole
    Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries // 100g prunes (my mum recommends this its definitely delicious)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 vegetable stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

Ratatouille
    Serves: 4

1 aubergine
    2 courgettes
    1 yellow pepper
    1 red pepper
    400g tomatos, canned
    3 cloves garlic
    4 g basil, fresh
    2 g parsley, fried
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tbsp olive oil

Chop the veg into fairly chunky pieces and roast with the garlic cloves and oil in oven for 30/40 mins, but keep an eye on them, the cooking time varies depending on how big the pieces are.
    Blend the tomatoes, herbs, vinegar, a few of the roasted vegetables and all the roasted garlic with a hand blender, then put onto a low heat.
    Add the roasted veg and leave to simmer for a while.

116 calories per serving, 5.1g F, 0.6g SF, 19.3g C, 8.0g S, 7.1 Fb, 4.1g P
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Broccoli Tofu Casserole

This is great for non-vegetarians. My kid will even eat it. :)

2 cups brown rice cooked
    16 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
    1 package lite firm tofu
    1 can 10 3/4 oz low fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
    4 oz Velveeta Cheese made with 2% milk, cubed
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic
    4 tsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thaw broccoli.
    Cube tofu and chop onion and garlic.
    Saute tofu, onion, garlic in oil.
    Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
    Bake 40 minutes.
    Makes 8 servings.

Calories: 162, Fat: 6, Cholesterol: 7, Sodium 384, Total Carbs: 20, Fiber: 3.3, Protein: 10
  • SgrMag574
    SgrMag574 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderfully easy and delicious Farro Waldorf Salad recipe (minues the fatty mayo!)
    http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/farro-waldorf-salad-pure-comfort-food.html
  • cbrewer904
    Options
    BUMP
  • nasja1984
    nasja1984 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great! I will try this. I was just thinking..."What can I do with my Tofu and two broccoli crowns sitting in the fridge"! Perfect timing!!