for the competitors to be, ones who are and trainers

Options

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I've been debating a comp, but too much time not taking care of myself has left some small pockets of cellulite at the base of my butt/upper thighs and alas my low bf% has left me boobless . . . *sniff*

I used chicken cutlets in the pockets of my bikini top. Also, I still have thunder thighs and a cottage cheese butt, but the spraytan helped, and I had fun with it anyway. :bigsmile:
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 and I'm thinking of competing in 2012 or if nothing else, looking like I compete. Ha! I'm also planning to get my NASM cert as well as a cert in sports nutrition.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hi, I'm a Fitness coach and choreographer here. While I do it as a business, I don't mind pointing out the good things about it. :) Glad to see a group here on MFP of beautiful people.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    hi, I'm a Fitness coach and choreographer here. While I do it as a business, I don't mind pointing out the good things about it. :) Glad to see a group here on MFP of beautiful people.

thank you!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was happy to find a group like this. I have just decided to compete either in figure or bikini, not sure yet, in 2012 and am absolutely terrified. For as long as I can remember, I have worn shorts with my swimsuit, even when I was a stick in high school. Only my fiance and some random strangers on a resort down south have seen me without shorts, no one else I know has. To me, having the confidence to get on stage to compete is going to be a huge accomplishment alone. My biggest challenge aside from getting on stage is going to be the diet.
    I have hired a trainer who has me started on a diet and workout routine. She is a friend and has also competed/won, and trained the overall winner last year.
    Today was day one.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    I was happy to find a group like this. I have just decided to compete either in figure or bikini, not sure yet, in 2012 and am absolutely terrified. For as long as I can remember, I have worn shorts with my swimsuit, even when I was a stick in high school. Only my fiance and some random strangers on a resort down south have seen me without shorts, no one else I know has. To me, having the confidence to get on stage to compete is going to be a huge accomplishment alone. My biggest challenge aside from getting on stage is going to be the diet.
    I have hired a trainer who has me started on a diet and workout routine. She is a friend and has also competed/won, and trained the overall winner last year.
    Today was day one.

Congrats on your decision and enjoy! We are all here to assist when/if you have any questions.
  • kkwellness
    kkwellness Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Im competing again Feb 18th after just competing Oct 8- I won the show- excited gain!
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    I too am interested in doing competitions for either bikini or figure. Not sure yet which one. It will most likely be for bikini. Do you guys feel that one competition is more prestigious than the other? I've looked up a few competitions online but still unsure which ones to begin training for.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I too am interested in doing competitions for either bikini or figure. Not sure yet which one. It will most likely be for bikini. Do you guys feel that one competition is more prestigious than the other? I've looked up a few competitions online but still unsure which ones to begin training for.
    I wouldn't say prestigious because they both take dedication and discipline to do. Bikini is still pretty new and I'm still not sure on the criteria, but fitness is a good comp to shoot for. I know in fitness you have to be more leaner than in bikini and that looking a little more muscular is common.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this group. I too am planning on training for either bikini or figure. I'll make a final decision once I get further into training and see how my body responds. I naturally carry a lot of muscle, but I'm not sure I can get lean enough for figure. Tentatively plan to compete in October, but again, depending on training and how my body responds, I may try something earlier.

I was training back in 2003, but then a major injury requiring bone graft surgery (not training related) sidelined me for months. Then with baby, work, life, I kept healthy and active, but wasn't training for competition. I decided now was the time to give it a try again, even at age 34. :)

I have a question for those that have competed in the past or are familiar with the competitions. I have a pretty serious surgical scar on my abdomen, that runs hip bone to hip bone. Is that something that could be potentially counted against me score-wise? It's high enough that it's not going to covered by a competition suit, and it's really the only thing that's making me lack a little confidence.
  • bry_all01
    Options

I did bikini, the next step was figure. I wouldn't say it is more prestigious, but it is more intense. The body fat is much less for figure and definition more visible. There are also poses in figure while not in bikini.

There are different competitions that could be more prestigious than others. I did a natural local one, which is less competitors than say NCP or IFBB.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Just discovered this group. I too am planning on training for either bikini or figure. I'll make a final decision once I get further into training and see how my body responds. I naturally carry a lot of muscle, but I'm not sure I can get lean enough for figure. Tentatively plan to compete in October, but again, depending on training and how my body responds, I may try something earlier.

I was training back in 2003, but then a major injury requiring bone graft surgery (not training related) sidelined me for months. Then with baby, work, life, I kept healthy and active, but wasn't training for competition. I decided now was the time to give it a try again, even at age 34. :)

I have a question for those that have competed in the past or are familiar with the competitions. I have a pretty serious surgical scar on my abdomen, that runs hip bone to hip bone. Is that something that could be potentially counted against me score-wise? It's high enough that it's not going to covered by a competition suit, and it's really the only thing that's making me lack a little confidence.

don't forget, you will (most likely) be spraytanned, so that will help cover the scar. Otherwise, rock it out. Good luck!
  • Mocha02
    Options

I say dont let a litte scar (yes little) hold you back!!! Thats what those tanning stuff is for!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!
  • Mocha02
    Options

I did bikini, the next step was figure. I wouldn't say it is more prestigious, but it is more intense. The body fat is much less for figure and definition more visible. There are also poses in figure while not in bikini.

There are different competitions that could be more prestigious than others. I did a natural local one, which is less competitors than say NCP or IFBB.

Yea I am more and more intrigued with the bikini competitions. That may lead me to do figure in the future. We shall see how my body reacts with training. Thanks!
  • barefoot75
    barefoot75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So glad to find this group. As a college student 26 years ago I wanted to compete. I was told by several trainers that I was too tall. Being a woman and 6'3" tall I would not be successful as smaller women would be able to build more mass and look more asthetically correct. This made sense to me at the time. Or so I thought.

Fast forward 26 years…I am now 44, slightly overweight and see that there are not only tall classes but age brackets too! I will compete in 2012! I can’t wait because a few people have said to me, “you can’t” and well now I gotta prove em wrong!

Lorna
  • barefoot75
    barefoot75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    also I am going to start with Bikini and possibly someday progress to Figure. Thanks again for this group!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    So glad to find this group. As a college student 26 years ago I wanted to compete. I was told by several trainers that I was too tall. Being a woman and 6'3" tall I would not be successful as smaller women would be able to build more mass and look more asthetically correct. This made sense to me at the time. Or so I thought.

Fast forward 26 years…I am now 44, slightly overweight and see that there are not only tall classes but age brackets too! I will compete in 2012! I can’t wait because a few people have said to me, “you can’t” and well now I gotta prove em wrong!

Lorna

Awesome!. I am so glad you are going for it. I am looking forward to hearing how you progress.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I just noticed above post was day 1(I think it was something like 21 weeks out) , I am here at almost 14 weeks out now. Yikes.
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

don't forget, you will (most likely) be spraytanned, so that will help cover the scar. Otherwise, rock it out. Good luck!

True, I forgot about the magic of spray tans and how much they actually hide. Thanks!

I've been talking to some of my bodybuilder friends and they gave me some recommendations for local competitions to start out with. I'm going to try and go and watch a few first though before I compete.
  • bry_all01
    Options

Lorna

I'm super excited for your decision!!