Instruments...

Options

Replies

• lorals05
    Options
    I taught myself how to play piano 15 years ago from an encyclopedia. I'm not very good but also not bad for self taught;-) I taught myself how to play alto saxophone when I was 12 because I wanted to join the school band and I ended up sitting first chair by the time I was a sophomore. I taught myself how to play clarinet when my brother started playing it for band. I don't play much anymore but I only did it for funsies in the first place. I've always wanted to learn guitar but thats something I haven't attempted... yet....
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Drums, used to sing.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Vocals & Bass primarily (only just started just over 1 year doing both really, though I always 'sang' with my favs

Extremely novice at drums and guitar, hey I'm learning!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm a bagpiper and I absolutely love piping and Celtic music. I enjoy the various gigs that come up. Last summer I competed at the World Pipe Band Championships in Scotland where our band made the prize list. I've performed on stage with the Chieftains and also did once opening for Rod Stewart. It's a fun ride and I'm looking forward to seeing where else it takes me!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Piano and Keyboards professionally for musical theater, US, Canada and China. I'll be going on my 9th tour in January
  • david581c
    Options
    about a year ago I taught myself acoustic guitar, it started w/ literally a neck and beat up body.

I've built this guitar to be a slightly less cheap guitar, it's a hodgepodge of stuff I've found.

the tuning nuts are spare parts I found, the neck is glued with some epoxy I found, and the saddle is some metal tube I found, along with some improvised support. so far so good, I can't name a more than 6 chords but I can make her sing.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Realised I already posted in this thread:) (deleted post)
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Melodeon (diatonic accordeon) and whistles. Mostly in pubs so not very helpful for the diet but I manage.
  • david581c
    Options
    wouldn't that be funny if we all recorded something and made a song based on what we knew?

like a rhythm track on guitar followed by a stairway to heaven like pipe play?

and so on.
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my spare time playing music.
    I play bass in a live band called the "Thunder Puppets"
    I play piano drums guitar and flute mostly in my home studio.
    I like to write Neoclassical music on my computer as a hobby with dreams of an orchestra playing them someday.

Biggest influences:
    Stanley Clarke, Squarepusher, Maurice Ravel, Kurt Cobain.

here are some sounds

Live
    http://snd.sc/qqVmFs

Electronic
    http://snd.sc/v4xRvO
    http://snd.sc/vbfpFG

Neoclassical
    http://snd.sc/sE7SRm
  • DisturbedRaccoon
    Options
    Guitar for 6 years and bass guitar for 2 years. I mostly just play bass now. I have been in a number of bands, but they haven't been sucessful. Looking to form a new one soon. :) My influences are Mudvayne, Papa Roach, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Green Day, Black Tide, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Hail the Villain, As I Lay Dying, Suicide Silence, Black Veil Brides, etc. I like Heavy Metal and Rock.
  • druidqueen
    Options
    Trombone for 12 years. Self taught tuba, euphonium. A little trumpet, French horn, bassoon and alto sax. Piano because I was forced to do 3 semesters of it as a music major. I'm working on my bachelor's in instrumental music education, member of Sigma Alpha Iota women's music fraternity since spring 2009. I play jazz and classical, prefer wind ensembles over orchestras, mainly because of orchestra conductors...:)
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I have a degree in music. I wanted to be the lead singer of a rock band but the small town where I am from didn't provide much opportunity for that. I play piano, sing, saxophone and I am teaching myself guitar. I love industrial metal and would love to sing in a metal band.
  • Ktbug613
    Ktbug613 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Flute/piccolo 11 years, bassoon 8 years. I consider myself a bassoonist even though I didn't start until highschool
  • gracibelle
    Options
    Violin for 12 years, piano for 5, viola for 1, cello for 1, mandolin for 4, ukulele for 1, didgeridoo for 1, guitar for 5, and I've been singing as long as I can remember. However, I'm self taught for everything except violin and some voice.

I teach violin, viola, guitar, keyboard, and voice :)

I am currently working on quite a few projects, including a few songs for guitar/vocals, a solo piece for piano, and my boyfriend and I have started writing a symphony for string orchestra!
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    drums, piano, and clarinet. I've been in various bands as a drummer/backup vox. nothing big.
  • jlfox165
    Options
    do you play any? for how long? skill level? recreational or professional? genre(s)? influences?
    skin flute.
    as long as it takes
    probably wouldn't charge for an audience
    recreational for sure.
    i don't discriminate although right now i prefer Hawaiian.
    influences - my loins.

haha! That's funny!!
  • jlfox165
    Options
    I have played guitar for 35 yrs. Played in several local bands in Ohio, Germany, and now here in Texas. Have a 12-string ovation which is awesome and 3 electrics (epiphones). My genre is rock/southern rock/folk rock/blues and my influences are several over the years. I also write music and have done so for about 25 years. Currently playing in a band.
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    Options
    I play the piano. Since i was about 10. I stopped for a year or so. So for about 7 years. I had to learn as a kid. Hated it and as i got older i began to love it.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I was around 7 or 8 we were at a department store and they had a little Casio keyboard set up for display. I started playing on it and after a few minutes I was one-fingering the theme song to Punky Brewster (you know...."maybe the world is blind...or just a little unkind"). Anyway, my parents figured they better get me something to play on, so they to me one for Christmas. I took a few lessons, but I have a REALLY hard time reading music for some reason.
    At 16 I started playing acoustic guitar. That's when I started singing as well. I never took lessons, just played by ear and learned chords from reading books. I performed at a few nursing homes and some talent competitions.
    Then about 3 years ago I started playing piano again, and now it is my passion. Still can't read music, although now I print out songs with guitar chords off the net and convert that to piano.
    Anyway, I love that I found this group...no one else around me plays any instruments or sings, so it is nice to find people with the same passion for music as myself!
    Here I am singing and playing. http://youtu.be/GOd2rsnbuIg