Instruments...

Options

Replies

• fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Horn and piano, mainly classically trained. I was semi-pro for a while. Now I play for fun, and I hope to learn some jazz soon!
  • Tbirdgal_Stef
    Tbirdgal_Stef Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    26 Years on Flute, amazing how you can leave it for a long time and pick it back up again like it was yesterday, I will never get rid of that flute ;) higher Alto but not Soprano. Really want to learn guitar... Hmmm new goal :) LOVE TO SING!!
  • mandana_18
    mandana_18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Trombone, for 15years, Fiddle for 1 year, and I have been singing in church since I was like 6 and I was in Chorus when I was in college. I play trombone in two groups and fiddle in one group.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I play piano. Have been taking lessons for 5 years right along my son who started when he was 4. He is almost 10 now and very talented. I play harder repertoire because I have a musical background ( band in school for 5 years) but he has more skill and talent and memorizes pieces in a flash. He's already won Student of the Year in his studio and was the featured artist this last Christmas at the local Festival Of Trees. We both sit down together 6 days a week and he plays for me for a total of 75 minutes each day. It's a team effort. Not quite as bad as Tiger Mom but he wouldn't practice otherwise. His musical study is part of his curriculum as he's homeschooled. We love it!!
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I sing, soprano. Hopefully one day I'll reach some level of semi-fame or something :) .
  • sylverkat
    sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I play with my local communityconcert band as well as working with it and our swing ochrestra. I have been playing Trombone for a year now. Flute for 12 years.
  • musicalivy
    Options
    I am a private voice and acting coach, and also teach K-8 music at a local private elementary school.

I myself am a soprano and front a melodic metal band, "Indivisible". We are recording in 2 weeks and I'm so excited for our debut! I also played flute 5 years solid, then walked away from it over 15 years ago to sing; just picked it back up again recently and forget why I ever put it down (Oh right, I didn't want to be in marching band! :laugh: ). I love it. I also play recorder, Irish Tin Whistle, and dabble at piano and guitar. Though I will sing and play flute live, I doubt I'll ever play piano or guitar live at performance level. I prefer the singing and acting!
  • Jelio13
    Jelio13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I played Mandolin on stage over 20 yrs. Mostly Rhythm but can pick a few, don't do much country though.
    Can sing melody and 2nd harmony, enjoy it, gonna sing this weekend! Here in North Texas
  • Lizzymaep
    Lizzymaep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been playing the flute, piccolo and guitar for about 11 years now. I used to play in a symphony but now I only have time to play for enjoyment. <3
  • EgMay
    EgMay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello! Been playing clarinet for about 10 years now (and a little sax for 6-7 years), and am currently a music student in college :)
  • Althaltallik
    Options
    I've played flute for 6 years now, seven this fall.
    Ocarina since December.
    About to pick up a sax... (anyone looking to sell theirs? ^^;)
  • Cats315
    Cats315 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been playing the piano for 9 years and the flute for 8 years
  • inked219
    inked219 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    - I've been a bassist for 12 years. I wouldn't consider myself a "professional." But I have played in bands, recorded, and done session work for independent labels and bands. Still do some session work with a small studio.
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I play classical guitar. Intermediate at present. Played and studied many years ago, but had a break of about 12yrs. Started playing again early this year and like most thing wondering how I moved away from playing. Also trying to teach myself how to play Jazz, maybe join a local group for fun sometime.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm a classical musician. Started on piano and voice as a child. I stopped actively playing piano in college, though I'm still around intermediate/advanced level. I am still singing semi-professionally, opera and symphonic chorus. I'm a mezzo. Definitely advanced level skills there. Played flute briefly in high school. I can still play, though I'm pretty beginner still. I picked up violin about 6 years ago now, and am at an intermediate level. I play with a community orchestra and sit second chair in the second violin section. Always looking for music-oriented friends, feel free to add me! :)
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I play clarinet. Been playing since 4th grade, so 8 years. I've traveled all around the state playing in groups that are audition and some not. I've been classically trained all my life in piano and voice, but i'm not nearly as good at those haha. I plan to minor in music performance in college(: I just love making music! :3
  • carlajpatterson
    Options
    Voice - my most reliable and beautiful instrument. I'm classically trained (first as a coloratura soprano and then my voice started moving towards lyric - now I can sing mezzo and soprano) but, before that, I sang jazz (a lot of scatting and improvising) - my Dad was a tenor sax man and I grew up on Gerry Mulligan, Sarah Vaughan, Ella, Satchmo, and Miles. I write my own more than I cover the music of others, though I've given in on that front a bit now that I've been at iCompositions for so long. If a friend asks for a cover, I'll do it. It's also fun to re-envision other people's songs from time to time. Sang folk in the 60's and love the grunge groups of the 90's. My stuff is kind of a hybrid of influences, from Chinese opera (used to live in Hong Kong and studied Chinese for years) to Irish ballads, from Laurie Anderson to Cassandra Wilson, from The Bobs to Pentatonix (seeing them in September in SF! Woohoo!). I do a lot of a cappella stuff.

Piano/Keyboards - though I've studied piano in the past, and read music and all of that, I don't really play piano in the normal sense. I improvise a lot using keyboards to play all kinds of instruments, including pianos. I compose instrumental and neoclassical music as well as jazz and other genres. For the instrumental stuff, I use keyboards to improvise the various melodies and rythms which make up the pieces.

French Horn - played that from about age 10 throughout high school. Went to some state finals but we never won. Still, I miss playing in an orchestra! It's one of the most amazingly satisfying experiences there is.

ErHu (Chinese 2-stringed violin) - studied the ErHu while I lived in Hong Kong and for a couple of years after that. Very rusty by now I would imagine.

Congas and traps - was very deeply into percussion when I was a teenager and kept it up, off and on, whenever I had access to drums. One of these days I'll make my own conga and KEEP it. (Helped an old boyfriend make one but HE kept it. ;) )

Recorders - grew up with these - my Dad got us into them and my step-sister (who was older) was really good. I can carry a tune on a soprano or a soprano. My favorite, though, is my alto. Love the sound.

Synths - I like to create instrument sounds and also envelopes for my vocals.
  • LyndaKuckenbrod
    Options
    Hi
    I just joined MFP.. What a cool place. I am a clinical harpist. Played blues guitar most of my life before the harp and started out on classical violin.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    406058_395288263867908_2080545829_n.jpg
    I am very goofy on stage. Very comfortable.

Bassist for a local band. "Panamorous". We are alt-rock. Have found our sound, just not what kind of music we play best with. So far...indie rock...which..we aren't indie rock at all. anyway. Bassist for 14 years. I play a very unique style of bass.

I can also play guitar, piano, and most stringed instruments. I can sing, but mostly back up vocals. I'm surprisingly REALLY REALLY good at growling and screaming. Unfortunately I have no interest in joining that style of music. Have been in metal bands my whole life, until I started Panamorous. :)
  • Adforperu
    Adforperu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I sing, play guitar, synth, uke, mandolin. I also do some electronica stuff too