Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
What does your training plan look like?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    For my next marathon I plan to do a 16 week modified version of Hal Higdons intermediate plan.

I'll do 4 runs a week,(not in the order listed) a marathon pace run, a stamina building run (tempo) and a long slow distance run, with the 4th run being a wild card depending on how I feel.

I plan to get 3-20's in before the race and top out my weekly mileage around 45 miles.
  • arc918
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Higdon.

I also like Pfitzinger (aka Pfitz), but his plans are a little more advanced in that you really need to know yourself as a runner/racer. If you don't know your 5K pace, from your half marathon pace from your marathon pace, then the plan doesn't really work.

The McMillan calculator can be helpful in deciding whether or not your training paces and goals are both in line and realistic. You have to be careful about putting in a 5K and assuming that you can run the projected marathon time off of that. It only works if you are properly trained at the longer distance.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator
  • SammySam5205
    Options
    I've never even run a half before, so I'm just going off of the research I did before signing up:

3-4 runs a week:
    1 long run, 1 medium run, 1 fast run (I usually do quarter and/or half mile sprints and hill work on the fast days). I've just started fitting in the 4th run. I basically use it to up my mileage for the week and if I feel as though I missed something I re-visit it then.

Then on the other days I supplement my training with some cross training (swimming mainly), some light lifting, and yoga/stretching. I also give myself 1 day off per week.

...clearly I could use some more structure?
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I follow Furman FIRST http://www2.furman.edu/SITES/FIRST/Pages/FirstTrainingPrograms.aspx

its the 3 run plus 2 cross training days approach. i had good results last time i followed it and i have done better at sticking to the paces this time. i am only in week 4 of 16 but i am very happy with how it is going so far
  • arc918
    Options
    I follow Furman FIRST http://www2.furman.edu/SITES/FIRST/Pages/FirstTrainingPrograms.aspx

its the 3 run plus 2 cross training days approach. i had good results last time i followed it and i have done better at sticking to the paces this time. i am only in week 4 of 16 but i am very happy with how it is going so far

Glad to hear that plan worked for you. Less running than traditional plans, but all of it quality (so every run is a tough workout). Bottom line, we all need to find whatever plans works for us.

Judging by your logo, it looks like you have some wheels!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am actually working off of a few plans using runner's world smart coach. They are all pretty much the same just different time goals and a little faster pace. 3 days a week, easy, tempo, and a long run. i might throw in an extra day if the weather is suitable. I also adjusted the length of the longs runs with hopes of completing at least 26 miles beforehand with 30 being the goal. I am in wisconsin though so we will see what actually happens.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Judging by your logo, it looks like you have some wheels!

right now my logo reflects a goal not an accomplishment, that will change in 2012 :)

and yes, everyone is different, there is no one size fits all plan and very few absolute truthes
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    All good stuff here.
    I've recently switched up from Hal Higdon after my 1/2 Marathon and I'm integrating Barry P's 3-2-1 plan into my tri training.
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My approach for the last marathon was lots and lots of slow miles (about 60-70 seconds above marathon pace)! I was running between 52-57 miles a week and hope to increase the weekly mileage for my April marathon.
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I will be doing Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 training program, starting next week. Used his program for the half and really liked it.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    I'm currently running Hal Higdon's Marathon Novice 1, but sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on my hands. I'm down with the weekend long runs, but it seems my midweek mileage is-and stays-pretty low. I'm relatively new to this whole running scene, so I wouldn't know how to go about revising or if I even should.
  • arc918
    Options
    I'm currently running Hal Higdon's Marathon Novice 1, but sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on my hands. I'm down with the weekend long runs, but it seems my midweek mileage is-and stays-pretty low. I'm relatively new to this whole running scene, so I wouldn't know how to go about revising or if I even should.

You can stick another mile or two on your mid week run or add another easy day. IMHO - Novice 1 is a "bare minimum" plan. I don't like that it has a rest day before the long run - you need to learn how to run long on tired legs. I like the Intermediate 1 plan much better (YMMV).
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    I just took a look at the Intermediate 1 plan, and I think that is much better. I might head to that plan.

What does YMMV mean?
  • arc918
    Options
    I just took a look at the Intermediate 1 plan, and I think that is much better. I might head to that plan.

What does YMMV mean?

your mileage may vary

I'd try that plan - as I've said (over and over) these plans are guidelines, not gospel. The world doesn't end if your shin hurt and you run 5 miles instead of 7.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I just started the Higdon this week. Novice I-just finished c25k a few weeks ago so I have a ways to go. :)
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm basing my plan for my next marathon on the Level 1 plan from Hudson's Run Faster, modified as necessary.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    So I've been training for my marathon and have included eating training in that (gu on the run, etc.) and have a question:

Is hitting the wall inevitable?
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    From what I hear...yes.
  • arc918
    Options
    From what I hear...yes.

Disagree! In 24 marathons, I've smashed into the wall just a couple times (and that was from going out too fast). If you train well and run smart on race day, you don't have to hit the wall.

It is all about figuring out what pace you can sustain for the long haul and then not getting dragged out too fast.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    From what I hear...yes.

Disagree! In 24 marathons, I've smashed into the wall just a couple times (and that was from going out too fast). If you train well and run smart on race day, you don't have to hit the wall.

It is all about figuring out what pace you can sustain for the long haul and then not getting dragged out too fast.

I was waiting for you to answer. I figured if anyone had any real insight it would be you.