Let's Introduce Ourselves...

Options

Replies

• peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Looks like my regular ride has got Cushings! Would explain the appetite and loss of condition. Results on thursday!!
  • masinya
    masinya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am Caroline.
    I live just outside Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
    I have been riding since I was 13
    Focusing on dressage for the last 6 years. But have evented and jumped.
    My horse is HyJinx, he is a 5 year old Oldenburg gelding.
    Picture in profile is my previous horse, Takai, that I had to put down last year.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Peachywoo, our old care-lease Quarter horse had Cushings (pituitary tumor). (She was 24) We learned a TON about equine cushings, insulin resistance, and proper diet for horses after caring for her.

Check out Yahoo Groups--Equine Cushings http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ for support and lots of cutting edge info.
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Peachywoo, our old care-lease Quarter horse had Cushings (pituitary tumor). (She was 24) We learned a TON about equine cushings, insulin resistance, and proper diet for horses after caring for her.

Check out Yahoo Groups--Equine Cushings http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/ for support and lots of cutting edge info.

Thats great!!! Thank you!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,202 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm Liselyn
    I live in Quebec, about 150 km east of Montreal, in the beautiful Eastern Townships. Looks like Vermont, but even snowier...

I have ridden or been around horses from childhood, with a couple of very long breaks for education and then for small children. Then luckily my daughter fell in love with horses too! She's 19 now, and we have a great time riding together.

I have had several horses over the years -- right now I have a delicious 3 year-old Appaloosa gelding (Dream Dee Jack, better know as Jack Jack) and a 10 year-old Quarter Horse (Moon Shadow -- a bay roan). My all time fave was an Appendix I had for many years, we did a bit of everything from cross country to dressage.

These days, mostly pleasure riding, some jumping for fun and keeping ready for anything on trails, even a bit of Western riding which is much more wonderful than I thought it would be. Bareback when it gets really cold!

So here I am on the late side of my 50s, still riding as much as possible, but hoping to get some 20 pounds off the horses' backs! I travel often for work, and try to ride wherever I go. Had an awesome ride across the Thar desert in India a couple of years ago on Marwari horses (talk about GO GO GO!) and hope to keep on for many years to come.

Tally ho!
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    What's your name: Anna
    Where do you live: Narrogin Western Australia (the middle of freaking nowhere)
    How long have you been riding: since I was about 3...
    What horses do you have: 4! My kids have a Welsh B pony (Mojo) and a Connemara (Angel), then I have a Standardbred (Prycie) - he's the one in my avatar - and an Arab X (Joe)
    What discipline do you do: Endurance
    I joined MFP to get 10kg off my youngster's back - as a 2 year old he looke dlike he wasn't going to be that big and I was worried baout being too hevay for him. Now he's 15.3 and 990lbs, but I'm still 20lbs lighter so thanks Joe!
    I'm 44 tomorrow and hoept o keep riding for the next 20 years! (As long asI can keep up with my kids!)
  • miliser
    miliser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hey,
    Name: Melissa
    Live: Mackay, Australia
    Riding Since: 6ish...
    What horses: Australian Stock horse X Arab gelding Flash. TB Gelding Bobby. TB Gelding Scudder. QH X Arab mare eve
    Discipline: Is Staying on one? Or Sucker to big brown eyes? Trying to get into campdrafting or western sports.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Name
    Kaye

Where do you live?
    Snohomish, WA

How long have you been riding?
    40+ years

What's your discipline?
    Currently dressage. In my teens, I competed as a H/J and did some TDE

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)?
    Rhia - a 17 yo Hanoverian broodmare that I'm restarting. We also have 2 OTTBs - one that is on lease to a trainer and one that is being ridden by my daughter.

I ride 2-3 days a week. We have 2 indoor arenas, so it's easy to stay active unless there is snow and ice on the ground. I hope to compete at Intro/Training level next spring. One of my primary motivators is the fact that I need to squeeze into a pair of white breeches... I'd like them to be a size 4-6 instead of a 12-14.
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Epona_mus I hear you!
    I am going to look at a nearly new pair of Kentucky Reitmoden breeches next week... OutrAustralian sizing runs a bit differently but I need to be able to squeeze into an Aussie size 10... If I can, they are a bargain.
    Light jodhs are so unforgiving... And you should try lightweight endurance tights! :)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I gave up wearing European breeches... they are not flattering! The only think I wear now for schooling or showing is FITS breeches - they have a tummy panel and are stretchy. That said, white breeches don't make anyone's butt look SMALLER. Especially if you wear full-seats. Ugh!
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What's your name? Abigail

Where do you live? Florida

How long have you been riding? Since 2 1/2, with a gap between 17-29

What's your discipline? Compete in jumpers mostly, but also dressage...and always strive for great equitation!

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)? Levitation (or Levi for short) who is an OTTB. Also riding another TB, thinking or trading for as he has more jump and wants to win (like me).
  • Jessamyfrm
    Options
    Hiyaa, my name is Jess and I'm a 17 year old female living in the Essex, UK area.

I have literally been riding before I could walk and it has always been my dream to own my own horse/pony. Nearly 18 years on and my dream has come true thanks to my hard working mum.

I ride for fun and have taught myself to ride. I don't take it completely seriously, its like therapy for me. Whenever I'm down or stressed I pop up to the stables hop on my horse and go for a long ride. Horses are the best friends you could ever have, least they don't answer back or tell you to shut up when you're moaning ;) On the odd occasion I do compete in local fun show jumping competitions.

I have two horses, I have a 14.3hh Haflinger Gelding. Haflingers have always been my dream horses since I owned a Palomino Barbie horse when I was a bubba. And I recently have brought a 13.3hh Newforest Gelding who is a right little dude. Love them both to pieces and wouldn't change them for the world

www.youtube.com/user/jessamyfrm

Would love to have some other horsey friends on MFP, please don't hesitate to add me :) x
  • teekathepony
    teekathepony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :)

What's your name? Wendy
    Where do you live? Nova Scotia, Canada
    How long have you been riding? Since I was 9 (nearly 17 years)
    What's your discipline? Mostly western pleasure, also reining.
    What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)? Teeka is my pony (hence the username!) She's a registered Pony of the Americas (Carteego Star is her reg. name. She's from Michigan, USA) I've had her since I was 10. She's 13.2hh and I'm only 5'1" so I never outgrew her much, though we don't show.
    I had another, a POA/QH mare who died at the age of 10. She was always a sick pony who had allergies, heaves and such. She was some beautiful though.
    Now keeping Teeka company is my friend's horse Dale (Ottago Cruisin) a 15.2hh sorrel Quarter Horse. She lent him to me three years ago when Jewel died and he feels like mine now. He's completely untrained and was supposed to be my project but I haven't had the time!

I'd love to see some horse people on my newsfeed so feel free to add me :)
  • SaraJ84
    SaraJ84 Posts: 10
    Options
    What's your name? Sara

Where do you live? Wiltshire, England

How long have you been riding? 25years

What's your discipline? M&M Showing (previously WHP & Showjumping until i broke my spine in 2002)

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)?
    Crackerjack - 14hh retired WHP
    Applewitch Mesmerise - 2yold New Forest gelding
    Avontyrrell Maybelle - 4yold 13.2hh Reg partbred New Forest mare
    Backley Touch of Gold - 4yold 13.2hh New Forest stallion
  • GallopingGrannie
    Options
    What's your name? Charlotte

Where do you live? Ellis County, Texas

How long have you been riding? Since I was 10 (Grand Pa's plow horse) As an adult owning horses, 17 years

What's your discipline? no discipline If I can squeeze myself and my horse through it we will go. I have ridden on a 8 lane road in Ft. Worth. Ridden down a closed lane of a freeway (I35 E) I have chased cattle and other critters from Oklahoma to South Texas. I challenge myself and my horse every time we go out...attempting to get him to jump a log is our newest challenge. I know he knows how to do it, he's just not sure of me. ;)

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)? He is a Tennessee Walker named Aragorn. I have had him a short time and he is working out great.
  • shafer234
    Options
    What's your name? Courtney

Where do you live? Indiana

How long have you been riding? since I was a child, so about 25 years now I'd say

What's your discipline? currently riding hunter/jumpers, but have done a little of everything over the years. Started bareback on my aunt's farm, then got into western (pleasure mostly), did english in high school 4-H, then onto equitation and a bit of reining in college, was the stock seat team coach at Purdue for a few years. Since then boarding barns offering a nice lesson program seem to work best with my schedule.

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)? Keeping busy riding everyone else's horses at my current barn, a mix of warmbloods, thoroughbreds, and a few quarter horses.
  • brow5204
    Options
    I'm Lacy. I live in Northern Idaho and I have been riding since I was an infant (that makes it 27 years). My mother raised Arabian horses so I have never known a heartbeat without them. I ride and train horses in Dressage, Jumping, eventing, endurance (though have not had much time for conditioning lately), and other english and western events. Show jumping is my favorite sport to compete in, though Reining and cutting are close on its heels.

I own a 16 year old Appaloosa named Dreamer, a 13 year old QH gelding named Rocky, a 10 year old QH mare named sissy, Sissy's 8 month old filly Pippy and a co-own an 8 year old Friesian sporthorse named Gandolph with my mom.
  • brow5204
    Options
    Sue:

So - here's a question - has anyone ever thought about the calories burnt doing hays and waters, or mucking out. I had planned to ride today but Bumble has thrown a shoe so I just went up to see him and helped out a bit by doing the hays and waters for the 6 horses there plus made up the nets for tonight. I would have mucked out as well but John wasn't back with the bedding. I was curious to try and work out how many calories I burnt - not many I'm sure but its outside my daily activity so guess it would count for something!

I used to use a different website and it had calorie counts for feeding horses, cleaning barns etc. I entered them in my Activities, so I think that you can access them now :)
  • disp53
    disp53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My name is Steph

I live in Iowa

I have been riding since I was 8, so 24 years.

I grew up competing in 3 day eventing and jumpers. I currently show hunters, western pleasure and ACTHA.

We own 3 horses:
    Sierra - 7yo bay tobiano pinto mare
    Honey - 5yo palomino QH mare
    Bree - 2yo smokey black tobiano pinto mare
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,202 Member
    Options
    Hey Lacy -- wonder if your Appy is related to mine? I have a Dreamer relative too -- Dream Dee Jack -- a 3 year-old absolute doll. Love him to bits, and will be getting him into reining at some point. Right now, he's doing a bit of both English and Western pleasure, starting on some dressage work just to help him develop strength and flexibility, and we'll see where we go. He learns everything so fast.

It's too COLD to ride these days, though. Always below 0 F, and annoyingly windy. Hoping for a break!