Challenge!

L2M1D52
L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
Here we can discuss how everyone is doing on the current challenges and whether there are any questions.

************************************** CURRENT CHALLENGE ****************************************************

Dec. 20 - Dec. 27

First order of business, if you participated in last week's challenge don't forget to log in your data. I hope it went well. I know it was rough for me to stay away from sweets. How about you guys?

The second order of business is this week's challenge, which will only last a week. It will be a fitness and food related challenge again.

Food challenge = The challenge for this week is to get at least 3 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Here is a link on some information on serving sizes, etc. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-full-story/
For some of us this week will be filled with holiday treats and lots of food. Be sure to get in good veggies and fruits.

Fitness challenge = The fitness challenge will be to stretch for at least 10 minutes before and after a workout. We know sometimes we can skip right through it just to get to the hardcore workout. Yet, we know it's important. Here's a link to some general stretches and of course feel free to research others. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/SM00043&slide=3

Your progress can be tracked on the roster. If you are in the challenge add your name to the bottom tab with the dates Dec. 20- Dec. 27. The winners of last week's challenge will be posted by tomorrow. Two winners will be chosen for this week as well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlcJqG9B3Q27dFRGRTRYMHNoQ3U2R2FRbnpoeDItcHc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Replies

• MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 801 Member
    What is the current challenge?
  • L2M1D52
    What is the current challenge?

Each week individuals are to shoot for 150 mins of exercise (you decide whether you count it as exercise) and also to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day throughout the week.
  • Ittee
    Ittee Posts: 285
    I am currently struggling in our challenge. I moved across country last month, and the lack of structure, transitional adjustments, and influence of new friends and being with my husband again. I have the Marine Corps ball this weekend, and this week while trying to get ready for it I just can't seem to find the time. All these are excuses, and I'm not sure how to shrug them off. I'm normally so motivated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • L2M1D52
    I am currently struggling in our challenge. I moved across country last month, and the lack of structure, transitional adjustments, and influence of new friends and being with my husband again. I have the Marine Corps ball this weekend, and this week while trying to get ready for it I just can't seem to find the time. All these are excuses, and I'm not sure how to shrug them off. I'm normally so motivated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, perhaps while you're spending time with the hubs you guys can do a walk or workout together. I'm not sure how your schedule looks but take about 15 or 20 mins doing a quick workout in the morning or before bed if you can....
    Or, just keep reminding yourself to set out 30 mins for something. Think about how many half hours are in the day and tell yourself... I can take one 30 min session and do a workout!
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    I am glad to join this group, and i love the challenge! In terms of drinking water, I have been doing amazing this week, with drinking atleast 8, some days I have even went over. In terms of exercise, this has been challenging so far, but If I look at yesterday, the beginning of my week, I already worked out 100 minutes in just one evening. Last night I worked out playing my Wii, played Dance Dance Revolution, and boy was that ever a work out! so I'm well on my way! Hope everyone else is doing well!! Happy week!
  • Ittee

Well, perhaps while you're spending time with the hubs you guys can do a walk or workout together. I'm not sure how your schedule looks but take about 15 or 20 mins doing a quick workout in the morning or before bed if you can....
    Or, just keep reminding yourself to set out 30 mins for something. Think about how many half hours are in the day and tell yourself... I can take one 30 min session and do a workout!

Thanks laloquita. I will attempt this in the morning (my children have 30 mins in between when I drop them off at their different schools). This may a golden opportunity. I'll just put on a sports bra when I roll out of bed.
  • L2M1D52

Thanks laloquita. I will attempt this in the morning (my children have 30 mins in between when I drop them off at their different schools). This may a golden opportunity. I'll just put on a sports bra when I roll out of bed.

No problem! Let us know if it works ;)
  • Ittee
    Today I did it. I had to stop my exercise video in the middle to take the second child to school, but then I got home and finished it. Whew, thanks again for the advice.
  • L2M1D52
    Today I did it. I had to stop my exercise video in the middle to take the second child to school, but then I got home and finished it. Whew, thanks again for the advice.

Fantastic!!! Anytime!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    I find everything about weight loss and fitness to be a challenge, LOL :laugh: I love to eat (love to eat things that are bad for me that is) and I really don't like working out...and typically if I have a bad day food wise, I don't exercise...so yeah that is hard for me. :frown: :embarassed:

As for the water thing, I WAS really great about drinking AT LEAST 8 cups of water, but often 10-12 cups a day... but now I am back in the rut where I don't drink it anymore....ugh...:ohwell:
  • starcrystal3
    starcrystal3 Posts: 91 Member
    If there is any way I can help, let me know! I spent my first month on MFP focusing on finding balance with my food. My mindset was not to cut out the things I love, but to find ways to make my overall day within my limits. Often that means I plan my meals or enter my food in before I eat to see where that puts me. I've also spent time finding ways to eat foods I enjoy - whether that be to incorporate them into a healthier recipe or balancing the bad foods with really good meals the rest of the day, etc. It's not fool-proof, but I have been averaging about 1lb a week weight loss. It wasn't until I felt comfortable with my food intake that I added little bits of exercise - walking my dogs, riding my bike, even walks with the family - again things I enjoyed. Feel free to check out my diaries or swap recipes/tips/ideas/etc.

Take one thing at a time, make a change and remember this is for the long haul so it's ok to indulge on things we enjoy.... in moderation :)
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    I'm doing very well on my water this week. I concentrated on it hard because last week was so miserable.

I will definitely get in my 150 minutes or more.
    I find that it is really so helpful to do a short 20 minute DVD each day to help me get there. It makes a big difference and I dont feel like I've wasted my whole day/life at the gym :D

Hubby and I have also been trying to get out more and do some walking together which has been very nice. Bonding and burning calories at the same time is full of win ;)

I agree with starcrystal when she says to log ahead of time what you might be eating. This keeps you from random splurges because you already know how your day looks calorie wise. At the same time, it also lets you know how many calories you'll have "leftover" in case you do get the chance to sneak in a snack.

You girls have been the best motivation for me and a large portion of the reason I continue to do so well, I just know it :)
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Thankfully - building my house has contributed to some exercise minutes this week! I am hoping to lose a zillion kilos once we start painting! hehe.

We are so close to finishing ths month's challenge - are there any suggestions as to what to set for our next challenge?
  • i am new to the group....hello everyone!!

doing the 150mins per week exercise should be ok...but the 8 glasses of water per day is a struggle...I seem to stall at 6 most days but i will try harder!
  • I currently do a minimum of 300 mins a week of exercise but the challenge of 8 glasses of water a day??? Ohhh dear, that I will have to make an effort to do. I love water, but 8 seems to be hard to fit in. I guess if I'm full with water - I won't reach for food!!! Ok, I'm up for this :happy:

I love riding my bike but I've also started doing the Jillian Michael's '30 Day Shred' DVD after I saw some great results online of people who did it for 30 days. Amazing results. I have to admit, it gets me very very sweaty and I'm not used to dripping because on a bike, the wind blows it off! I've just completed Day 3 so maybe by Day 30, my body shape will change - which is what she says will happen!

12314955.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Ohhh....I'm off to the 'let off steam' thread. I just wrote a long post addressed personally to all above posters, pressed reply and I got logged out instead.

Can't do it again...

Anyway...ideas for next challenge are more than welcome. It's very hard to pitch challenges just right as we are all at different stages but, some of the chaps in the UK group have been doing an ab crunch and press up challenge. I think we should keep the water challenge as a permanent side thing. Since I've started this water challenge my eyes aren't puffy in the morning, my skin is clearer and I'm not going to dismiss the fact that my plateau ended as the water started.

If we are going to do this I think set amount would be no good as we're all different. What I propose is that we all get down and do push-ups and crunches until we can't anymore (be that 5 or 55) and then aim to do one or two more every day for a week or a fortnight...? What do you guys think?

This is just my own idea...in the absence of any other idea! So alternatives ones are positively invited. It's helpful to have a set challenge a bit before then next one ends so the lovely laloquita has time to formulate a spread sheet for us.

DON'T FORGET TO LOG YOUR WATER AND MINS TODAY!!!

Keep going girls!
    Liz :drinker:
  • Ittee

If we are going to do this I think set amount would be no good as we're all different. What I propose is that we all get down and do push-ups and crunches until we can't anymore (be that 5 or 55) and then aim to do one or two more every day for a week or a fortnight...? What do you guys think?

This is just my own idea...in the absence of any other idea! So alternatives ones are positively invited. It's helpful to have a set challenge a bit before then next one ends so the lovely laloquita has time to formulate a spread sheet for us.

DON'T FORGET TO LOG YOUR WATER AND MINS TODAY!!!

Keep going girls!
    Liz :drinker:

LIke this challenge!
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    I just joined this group, and I'm glad to be here. I usually exercise everyday and rest on Sun. I normally drink at least 8 glasses of water. I look forward to the interaction.
  • L2M1D52
    Um okay, I know I'm a co-leader of the group but I just want to say.... *takes deep breath*... this is hard for me to say. I CAN'T stand this November challenge! Thanks to what happen to me this month, I felt like a lazy @$$ for not getting my exercise mins since before I would get a good amount of mins in a week aaaaand some days I just can't drink more than 6 glasses. I feel like I will bust if I even take another sip sometimes. I must say... I can't wait til this challenge is over! That is all. Proceed.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Um okay, I know I'm a co-leader of the group but I just want to say.... *takes deep breath*... this is hard for me to say. I CAN'T stand this November challenge! Thanks to what happen to me this month, I felt like a lazy @$$ for not getting my exercise mins since before I would get a good amount of mins in a week aaaaand some days I just can't drink more than 6 glasses. I feel like I will bust if I even take another sip sometimes. I must say... I can't wait til this challenge is over! That is all. Proceed.

Hi babe. It's been a Looooong challenge that's for sure. Don't feel bad, until we do the challenges we don't know do we? For me, this challenge has been too long and not 'zippy' enough. I want to keep myself and others motivated and a month long challenge lends itsself to taking the foot off the gas a bit.

What do you think of my suggestion above? Any ideas yourself for the next one??