How best to avoid Starvation Mode

Options
I am struggling to lose my last 13LBS and feel like I've entered an almost permenant starvation mode -- yep the time when you stop losing weight and everything you eat doesn't seem to want to come out? I know there's a phenomena known as starvation mode, where when the body doesn't get enough calories, it begins to hold on voraciously to what you do take in and often stores it as fat. My curiosity is that if you're exercising vigorously -- e.g. I burned over 900 calories on my run today, this means I have created a total calorie limit for today of over 2500 total calories. Given that my daily is set just below 1700, this is a lot of food to be consuming and I often end many days, "Under My Calorie Goal". This all seems well and good except for the not so pleasant side effects of starvation mode... So I'm throwing it out there -- what to do -- eat all of your exercise calories? Eat more than your exercise calories? What are you all doing to move off of your plateaus?

Replies

• DJmom44
    Options
    I'd also like to know what other people do. On my long run days I have a hard time eating back all the calories. I started drinking milk with protein powder after I run and that has helped a little. I also eat nuts, Greek yogurt, and bigger portions of meat to help increase my calories.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great work on your success thus far, DJ Mom...

I sometimes wonder if I'm over-protein. MFP often tells me I am, and this could add to the binding issue, Starvation Mode brings along. I'm thinking of upping my fiber (e.g raisin bran) or other forms to see if that makes a difference. I'm also questioning how wise it is to eat all of my exercise calories, since my body is now not only holding on to them, but I'm up 3 pounds since my low of 181. My hope is to reach my goal then to use MFP to maintain the new me.

Keep up the great work, DJM!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Eat some calorie rich foods that are nutritious and help you on your runs.

Almonds, Peanuts, Walnuts, etc are rich in healthy fatty oils and protein, good for a snack after a run for instance.
    If you run endurance, you should eat carbs (I know carbs are bad for you when you're trying to lose weight blah, blah, blah)

2500 calories isn't that many as ultimately those will be your maintenance calories, there or there about, so get used to eating a little more each time.

As you approach your goal weight you should also reduce your loss/week target to 1lb or less per week, it is harder to lose weight when you have little to lose.

Good luck and keep at it!

PS: On my long runs for half marathon training I burn over 2000 calories giving me a total intake of close to 4000 for the the day, I just make it pizza day sometimes, yep not very healthy but loads of protein and carbs (and fat too I know) to replenish me.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    FB,
    I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Your comments are apt and encouraging. And you are the second credible person I've heard that's recommended backing off on the per week loss goal as I get close to my goal weight. For me this will be my proper BMI for the first time since late 80's. Welcome to the MDR group, too.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to lose my last 13LBS and feel like I've entered an almost permenant starvation mode -- yep the time when you stop losing weight and everything you eat doesn't seem to want to come out? I know there's a phenomena known as starvation mode, where when the body doesn't get enough calories, it begins to hold on voraciously to what you do take in and often stores it as fat. My curiosity is that if you're exercising vigorously -- e.g. I burned over 900 calories on my run today, this means I have created a total calorie limit for today of over 2500 total calories. Given that my daily is set just below 1700, this is a lot of food to be consuming and I often end many days, "Under My Calorie Goal". This all seems well and good except for the not so pleasant side effects of starvation mode... So I'm throwing it out there -- what to do -- eat all of your exercise calories? Eat more than your exercise calories? What are you all doing to move off of your plateaus?

Eat all your excercise cals or nearly all but not more than.

If you need good cals then eat almonds or seeds (pumpkin) they are high in good cals and essential fats protein etc.

Tim
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    There is a paradime shift around any exercise you do as you approach goal weight...

During weight loss my mindset was:
    -I exercise to loose weight faster
    -I exercise so I can eat more of the food I like
    -I exercise so I can make my body look good

On approach to maintenance:
    -I exercise because I enjoy being fit and I want to stay healthy
    -I exercise because its fun
    -I should eat and exercise in a balanced way - i.e. under eating will make be feel tired and over eating will make me gain weight

Then, if you are really getting into running:
    -I train to improve my race times
    -I train to increase my distance / to prepare for a particular event
    -I eat because it is a fuel for sport and I want to get the best performance out of my body.

I guess you are in the 'approach to maintenance' category I would advise you try and move directly into the last group - stop worrying about how much weight you loose each week and start setting yourself fitness targets instead. Accordingly you will need to eat all your exercise cals. I suggest you try the following:

Avocados
    Mixed nuts and dried fruit
    Recovery drinks (Protein & Carb mixes for post-workout)
    Meals with larger portions of carbs (My fav training meal is a tuna, butter bean and pasta bake - which is exactly what it says it is plus a can of tomato and a stock cube! Add low fat mozzarella if you want a few more cals)

For some reason carbs get a bad press with people on diets - there is nothing wrong with carbs - quite the opposite - so long as you keep within your calorie limit. Obviously you need to get a good mix with protein and fats too. Fats are easy - they are everywhere - but try and eat fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel - super good for you!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    PS - Stop thinking day to day - count calories over a week. All the runners I know are starving the day AFTER a long run... so listen to your body and just keep it in check with your calorie counting.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There is a paradime shift around any exercise you do as you approach goal weight...

During weight loss my mindset was:
    -I exercise to loose weight faster
    -I exercise so I can eat more of the food I like
    -I exercise so I can make my body look good

On approach to maintenance:
    -I exercise because I enjoy being fit and I want to stay healthy
    -I exercise because its fun
    -I should eat and exercise in a balanced way - i.e. under eating will make be feel tired and over eating will make me gain weight

Then, if you are really getting into running:
    -I train to improve my race times
    -I train to increase my distance / to prepare for a particular event
    -I eat because it is a fuel for sport and I want to get the best performance out of my body.

I guess you are in the 'approach to maintenance' category I would advise you try and move directly into the last group - stop worrying about how much weight you loose each week and start setting yourself fitness targets instead. Accordingly you will need to eat all your exercise cals. I suggest you try the following:

Avocados
    Mixed nuts and dried fruit
    Recovery drinks (Protein & Carb mixes for post-workout)
    Meals with larger portions of carbs (My fav training meal is a tuna, butter bean and pasta bake - which is exactly what it says it is plus a can of tomato and a stock cube! Add low fat mozzarella if you want a few more cals)

For some reason carbs get a bad press with people on diets - there is nothing wrong with carbs - quite the opposite - so long as you keep within your calorie limit. Obviously you need to get a good mix with protein and fats too. Fats are easy - they are everywhere - but try and eat fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel - super good for you!

This is really good advice try it
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information everyone