Bulking & No sleep

The_Saint
The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
So I have been having a lot of difficulty sleeping. Can't seem to sleep through the night. Stress from work, stress from life in general. I've taken melatonin to help, upto 15mg. Still no sleep.

Is there even a point in me trying to Bulk and lift heavy if I can't get sleep?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    what's the caffeine intake like? Do you take any pre workouts close to bed?

Have you tried zma?

Can you sleep at other times or just not at night?

How many hours are you getting? Some people can function on less sleep than others. May not be optimal but if it's routine then the body seems to adjust ie. some people who get 6hrs/night are fine but if someone who normally sleeps 8hrs/night then sleeps 6hrs they feel like ****.
  • The_Saint
    I wake up several times at night usually for about 20-30 mins so probably collectively I get 4 to 6 hours.

Taken ZMA on a bulk while I didn't havr trouble sleeping. Didn't think it was for sleep support. Thought it was more for enzyme support and testosterone suppprt.

Caffeine is 0g per day. As when I started the bulk i started caffeine dextox.

I can sleep slightly better on weekends. But weekends are rest days.

Can't say I feel like ****. But I also know I'm not 100% maybe 65%?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    What time are you lifting?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    sounds like it could be something exercise related if it is only on workout days. Have you had any blood tests recently? Might have to see a doc about it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I have this problem too but it is my children that keep me from sleeping.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Are you sleeping at Rachel's house OP?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    i suck at getting sleep, i get maybe 4-5 hrs on weekdays. But i've always been like this.

i've tried, excedrin pm. ambien, lunesta, AI 3Z, ZMA, GABA etc and none of it works. WEll ambien and lunesta work, but leave you with a hangover type feeling in the morning
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    What supps are you on? Any real gear?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I usually run on 3-5 hours of sleep a night (I can't stay asleep longer than 45 minutes at a time). My insomnia laughs at melatonin and Ambien CR and Lunesta do *zero* for me but leave me hungover the next day.

I function fine but weight loss is slow. Lack of sleep is notorious for contributing to weight gain, so unless you feel really impaired mentally I would give it a shot.
  • The_Saint
    I usually lift from 6-7pm.

Dinner at 8:00 and Bed at 11:00 up at 6:00.

Bedtime supplements - Fish oil 2.5g, zinc picolinate 50mg.
  • The_Saint
    sounds like it could be something exercise related if it is only on workout days. Have you had any blood tests recently? Might have to see a doc about it.

Last blood test back in August, another one due in Jan or Feb.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Maybe try Animal PM?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I'm a terribly light sleeper since I was about 17 or 18 (wake up multiple times a night/often go all night never really feeling like I actually slept). Just recently it seems to have gotten a bit better. I can actually wake up in the morning having only woken up once or twice during the night -- that's a new thing!

How is your "sleep hygiene"?

1) Do you sleep in a pitch black room? I don't. I got an eye mask which has helped a LOT but I want to get black out shades because the mask is annoying and also I have heard that light on the skin, not just the eyes, can affect hormones.

2) Do you step away from the computer/phone screen an hour before bed? This one is hard for me, but I also got this app called Flux, which changes the light of your monitor so its light does not resemble the sun's light after the sun goes down. http://stereopsis.com/flux/

3) I've started taking 200 mg of magnesium glycinate around lunch time. I tried taking it with dinner and I think it actually made me more restless--apparently this is not unheard of. Also, a good epsom salt soak (also magnesium) can help me sleep more deeply.

I am constantly looking for ways to improve the terrible sleep I've had since my teens. My mom is also a light sleeper and I think it has shown in how she has gained weight (in her mid-section) over the years.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Another lousy sleeper here. Seems to have no bearing on anything... and I sleep bad after a rest day, a heavy lift day, a triathlon, after good eating, after bad eating, etc.

I usually wake up every 90 minutes or so. Generally I can fall back asleep fairly quickly, but it's not uncommon for me to go to bed at 11, wake up about 1, fall back asleep, wake up around 2, then be up until 5.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Is it related to a cycle you might be on? If you're riding a bike, that's probably what it is.

If not, look into a sleep supp.
    I liked EST somadrol.