Greetings from the Captain / Introduce Yourself

Options
13»

Replies

• Hopeful656
    Hopeful656 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, I am Vickie and although my degree is not within any science field, I am interested in the scientific aspects of the human body and its functions involving food and weight lose. Both my parents were/are Registered Nurses and my biological father works for a dialysis clinic--so although my own education doesn't revolve around biology, I certainly grew up with plenty of medical books and dictionaries and conversations to keep that interest alive.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm Roma & I love bio sciences! I'm a med-surg. Hospice & psych nurse & about to start my graduate degree to be a family psychiatric nurse practitioner. This time next month I hope to be knee deep in advanced pathophysiology. Enjoying the camaraderie of MFP & sharing knowledge.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Matt, from Louisiana. I got my B.S. in Finance in 2010. During the recession I lost interest in everything business, except economics. I returned to academia last year taking science courses. I love science, and I wish I had gotten into it sooner. I'm currently working towards a B.S. in Biology, and I want to go all the way. I'm planning to go to grad school. My interests are Neuroscience, Biotechnology, and Genetics.

This looks like a good group to join, considering the courses that I'm taking this semester:

Population Genetics, Evolution & Ecology w/lab
    Cell & Molecular Biology w/lab
    Trig Based Physics II w/lab
    Organic Chemistry I
    Calculus

I can't wait till school starts this month!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Dee.
    I work in Market Research Statistical Analysis, so I am not scared of math. And I have always had an interest in the various sciences.

My interest in health and nutrition has been pretty personal since I became ill the end of 2010 and ended up on disability. I was heavy for most of my life, then started losing weight for no reason and thought this is great until I was losing too much, that is when we discovered my diabetes. By an emergency room visit, with a blood glucose well over 700 and a hospital stay to start getting it in line. I am an insulin dependent diabetic with Neuropathy for over a year now. Even after my blood sugar was under control I continued to lose weight and was down to 85 lbs (scary for me) and needed to gain, which I have done and now I'm a bit over my target weight.

With all the misinformation around these forums I would like to read some posts with a better foundation than the latest preliminary study with outrageous claims. WoW what a learning curve this has been.

Thanks for this group
    Panda_1999
  • jessiekins123
    Options
    This group sounds great! I am a psychology professor at a community college and think this group is a wonderful idea. I, too, am interested in the science and research behind weight loss -- I think it's important that we understand our own bodies so we can make the right choices about what we do to them!

I'm looking forward to reading more about this and having some good conversations!