The CHALLENGE - beta run - The rest of Nov till Dec

Options
jonzo21
jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
Get a notebook (nothing fancy) and title a page with the Month (November). Under the heading, put the day of the month, and write down a specific self control goal of yours for that specific day. For instance, my goal today is to make sure I don't snack on any of the foods at work when I go in tonight (I work in the food industry and we always snack on the potatos, the nachos, etc). So my goal tonight is not to do any of that. Now under your goal, make a check box for yes or no. At the end of the night (or start of the next day) check whether or not you met this goal. Now do this for every day of the week all month long (with different goals each day... you can overlap and have the same goals on certain days, but vary it up a bit. Really dig deep into where you need to improve your self control to figure out what goals you need to make)

This group is a little different because I can't give you your specific goals for the week because everyone will have different self control issues they need to conquer. Also plan out your self control goals. (ie: if you know you will be attending a party on saturday, make your goal that day to only have 1 drink or only eat half the amount of food you normally would for instance)

Also, make a reward system for yourself. me personally, I have decided that if I can go an entire month checking the "yes" box, I will buy myself something that I've wanted (I've had my eye on this inexpensive choker). Be tough with yourself. If I buy this choker for myself even if I checked 1 box as No, this will convince myself that I can slack off and still be rewarded for it. Not good!

At the end of the week (Sunday or Monday) I want you to email me your results (How many out of the 7 days you managed to put a check mark in your yes box!) And I will keep track and post the results. I may not have time to create a nifty table like some of the other groups, but I will post everyone's progress nonetheless.

If this sounds like you would be interested, then please feel free to join!

This will officially start the week of Nov 14. You can use this week as practice and start logging some goals or consider what kind of goals you want to have, but you should email me your first results Nov 20 or 21. Also when you email me your results, feel free to tell me your best accomplishment for that week in terms of your self control, and I will choose one at random that I think it motivating or a great accomplishment and post it in the spotlight for that week!

If you don't want your results posted but would still like to join in that is fine too. You can always use this thread to post your accomplishments or whatever else :)

Replies

• Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Love this idea!

great, feel free to join! I've been doing the logging for this week to see how well I do. Today is my 2nd day and so far I've accomplished both self control goals. Hopefully more people will try this out.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Well I am doing no coffee and no soda except on weekends. I caved today and made a cup of coffee and poured half of it out I had some soda out of a tea cup and 2 cookies after work.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be a part of this!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Well I am doing no coffee and no soda except on weekends. I caved today and made a cup of coffee and poured half of it out I had some soda out of a tea cup and 2 cookies after work.

you seem to be making a good start with cutting it out except weekends. I know how challenging this is, I've struggled with self control for as long as I could remember. One night my coworker brought in a cupcake for me (after I had already eaten all my calories). I put the cupcake away so it wouldn't haunt me... but when I picked it up when i was about to go home it just screamed at me... I ended up eating it :( I'm pretty sure that cupcake was at least 300 cals with all that frosting it had on it, bleh. Now I'm hoping this diary thing will keep me on track... so far its been good the past couple days!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    I would LOVE to be a part of this!

great! Just remember to message me your results on sundays/mondays and also your biggest achievement for that week
  • Gr33nstars
    Options
    Great idea. I'm in! Day one for me... not going to eat any biscuits or cakes at work today, of which there are plenty as we ran an event here yesterday ...
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Great idea. I'm in! Day one for me... not going to eat any biscuits or cakes at work today, of which there are plenty as we ran an event here yesterday ...

ooh good luck that sounds like it might be tough
  • jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i'm in! Today's goal is NO REESE CUPS and No cheese cake!
    The craving is there, but I ate an apple instead.
    So far, so good.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Today my goal is no fast food, as I am at school the temptation is all over campus. And then tonight I'm supposed to go out for my friends birthday so my goal there is to only have diet soda with vodka to keep the calories low. This will be rough since its 3$ long island night, I'll have to miss out on that :(

Keep up the great work, resist those reeses, biscuits, and cakes! :laugh:
  • ivykivy
    Options
    I had a soda but no coffee. I'm having green tea instead. No sweets.

Tomorrow my goal is no soda or coffee and no sweets to stay at my carb limit.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    good luck! green tea is a great alternative to coffee. Personally I like the flavor better also. It's also said to help keep you fuller longer.

Today my goal is to only drink tea and water, and not to snack on any foods at work. I will only eat my homemade sandwich on my break and that's it
  • jonzo21
    Options
    I really screwed up today.. I was doing so good, almost an entire week of succeeding with this challenge... but i was so hungry today I couldn't stop eating.. my goal was to only eat my sandwich tonight at work and not snack on anything, and I ended up eating a steak taco, half a steak quesadilla and some potatos. Went way over my calorie limit and blew record for the challenge this week! Oh well i still feel as if I'm making progress because I don't do this every night now, I guess once in awhile won't hurt, and eventually I'll be able to control it completely. Still disappointed in myself, ugh!
  • ivykivy
    Options
    Jonzo Dont kick yourself! Consider it a 6/7. You did good six days in a row.

I haven't had coffee much but I have drank soda. Had two yesterday. but I didn't eat any fast food. I didn't eat out at work. I came home and ate tuna.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    i guess it was a 5/7 considering I failed miserably yesterday as well! Oh well this week I'm shooting for at least a 6/7, and then next week a full 7/7.

Have you considered alternatives to soda like maybe those powder mixes you put into water. I really don't like water straight by itself but its fine if i has some flavor. I've switched to diet soda also... I really only like diet dr pepper, and pepsi max. they seem to be the only no calorie sodas that don't taste too different from the original. Also, walmart has awesome flavored waters that taste kinda like soda. The mandarin orange is my favorite because it tastes like orange soda! and no calories!
  • techteachergirl
    Options
    Today my goal was to stay out of my student candy box and no soda and....

YAY! Success! :D
  • techteachergirl
    Options
    i guess it was a 5/7 considering I failed miserably yesterday as well! Oh well this week I'm shooting for at least a 6/7, and then next week a full 7/7.

Have you considered alternatives to soda like maybe those powder mixes you put into water. I really don't like water straight by itself but its fine if i has some flavor. I've switched to diet soda also... I really only like diet dr pepper, and pepsi max. they seem to be the only no calorie sodas that don't taste too different from the original. Also, walmart has awesome flavored waters that taste kinda like soda. The mandarin orange is my favorite because it tastes like orange soda! and no calories!

Have you tried Coke Zero? To me it was pretty close to coke. the mix ins are a good idea too! I can't use them or drink diet soda because the sweeteners give me migraines, but I squeeze lemon, limes, or oranges in to my water to help.
  • jonzo21
    Options

Have you tried Coke Zero? To me it was pretty close to coke. the mix ins are a good idea too! I can't use them or drink diet soda because the sweeteners give me migraines, but I squeeze lemon, limes, or oranges in to my water to help.

I think I've tried coke zero before. If I remember, it was good the first couple times i drank it and after that it just started to taste too much like diet coke, which I hate. Squeezing fruit into water is a great alternative also, I do that at work with the lemons/limes we have sometimes
  • Gr33nstars
    Options
    Oh dear I'm not very good at this! I didn't really set goals for the rest of last week but have been doing quite well.
    But there's still two weeks of November left so I'm going to try... For the rest of this week I will exercise every day to help de-stress and I will avoid work goodies.
    Well done so far everyone!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    no worries, use the next few weeks to get used to logging your goals. Hopefully I'll be officially starting this challenge the start of December if we have enough involvement. I know I personally will be keeping at it, even though some days I've failed, I've been controlling more of my eating habits at work so its definitely working for me