Meeting Like Minded Singles

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
Hi all - I promise to try to make this group as lively as I can. Bear with me. :P

Here's something I wouldn't mind discussing - as a single adult, what are your challenges as far as getting to know new people, both inside and outside of the fitness realm? For example, I would love to get to know other singles in my hometown (suburb of Pittsburgh, PA) but I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

It would be great to meet up with people for workouts, happy hour, dinner, plays, whatever!

Replies

• JThomas61
    Options
    I like to find common ground, unfortunately for me or fortunate depending on how you look at it. I work with and workout with women in thier 20s. Very few have their stuff together at 20 or have already had kids and a divorce or two.
    Someone who has experienced life would be great and a bonus if they don't talk about themselves 24/7.
  • scapez
    Options
    This is kind of what I was hoping for with this post - sharing different ways of meeting others that we typically don't interact with. You said you're not clicking with the people you know now- do you ever try ways of getting to know new people?
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's hard to meet single men. Most men in my age group are looking for very young girls who wouldn't give them a second look unless they had money. :) I would love to meet single men in my area to go hiking with. The weather is really nice right now for out door activities.
  • scapez
    Options
    That's the thing - how DO we meet others without coming across as pathetic lonely goobers? I would LOVE to have exercise and/or running buddies!!! I was wondering if anyone here had any success with meetup.com (or any other sites like that).
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm on a dating site right now. It's really hard to meet someone that I can connect with in my area. I live in Arizona and I'm in a rural area. The more promising guys are in the valley about 35- 50 minutes away or more. I receive emails telling me if only I lived closer. I don't think an hour drive is too bad. I really don't wish to move right now at this time. I am open to traveling or even meeting them half way. But I don't want to appear desperate. On line dating is very difficult. I would like to think that I'm worth the drive. :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I live out in the middle of nowhere too so meeting someone is a challenge.
    It seems that long marrieds break up but always end up with someone else that has just broken up.
    A camaraderie thing maybe.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I go out to events like cycling, running, hiking, hoping to meet like minded women. I think that I would like to form a friendship and get to know the person before ever turning it into an intimate relationship.
  • scapez
    Options
    I think that I would like to form a friendship and get to know the person before ever turning it into an intimate relationship.

I think this is the best way, hands down.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I meet people everywhere! I can't go to the grocery store without meeting someone new. I try to have a fun attitude wherever I go and strike up converstion with just about anybody.
  • Jeparkison
    Jeparkison Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I live out in the middle of nowhere too so meeting someone is a challenge.
    It seems that long marrieds break up but always end up with someone else that has just broken up.
    A camaraderie thing maybe.

I hear ya there!! Not alot of people in my town! And most of them know you and you know them so there is also history there to deal with either good or bad!!
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am finding it quite hard! I have primary custody of two kids, so that naturally minimizes my 'getting out there time'. I am a full time student at a small private college...no prospects there. My social circle is made up nearly entirely of couples. There are no single guys at church over the age of like 20. I get out for drinks or things with my girlfriends sometimes, but they're all happily settled so it's not a flirty or attention drawing sort of atmosphere. I try to look my best when I'm out and about anywhere, but it's not like guys seem to notice me at all...which is a shame, because I am one helluva nice person, I think. :) Oh well, maybe it's just not the right time anyway.
  • scapez
    Options
    So this weekend I briefly checked out fitness-singles.com and it almost looks like it might be promising. I haven't thoroughly looked to see if there is any kind of membership fees or whatever, but I may just give it a go at some point. It's gotta be better than POF, right?!?!? :laugh:
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    whats POF?
  • scapez
    Options
    whats POF?

plentyoffish.com - free dating site.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I just heard about a group in my area that plans outings for singles like hiking and museums. I think I might look into that, something other than the online dating stuff.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I meet people everywhere! I can't go to the grocery store without meeting someone new. I try to have a fun attitude wherever I go and strike up converstion with just about anybody.

This is so me right now, everywhere I go I meet new people. Smiling is infectious and it attracts people.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to fall back on friends trying to set me up!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i'd like to meet someone...

...who can spell, use proper grammar, and who has a decent vocabulary. although capitalization and punctuation obviously isn't a major focus.
    ...who does not have or want children in the immediate future.
    ...who has or likes large dogs.
    ...who is affectionate without being smothering.
    ...who drinks but does not smoke.
    ...who texts daily or maybe every other day, but not unnecessarily often.
    ...who is arrogant and maybe a little selfish.
    ...who is hilarious, sarcastic, and intelligent all at once.
    ...who appreciates art.
    ...who limits phone conversations to times when texting simply will not do.
    ...who is financially, emotionally, mentally and physically independent.
    ...who does not need me, but wants me.
    ...who appreciates me and finds me adorable, not bothersome.
    ...who has an insatiable libido.
    ...who is ambitious.
    ...who does not underestimate me.
    ...who probably doesn't exist.

....thus i have given up searching.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    i'd like to meet someone...

...who can spell, use proper grammar, and who has a decent vocabulary. although capitalization and punctuation obviously isn't a major focus.
    ...who does not have or want children in the immediate future.
    ...who has or likes large dogs.
    ...who is affectionate without being smothering.
    ...who drinks but does not smoke.
    ...who texts daily or maybe every other day, but not unnecessarily often.
    ...who is arrogant and maybe a little selfish.
    ...who is hilarious, sarcastic, and intelligent all at once.
    ...who appreciates art.
    ...who limits phone conversations to times when texting simply will not do.
    ...who is financially, emotionally, mentally and physically independent.
    ...who does not need me, but wants me.
    ...who appreciates me and finds me adorable, not bothersome.
    ...who has an insatiable libido.
    ...who is ambitious.
    ...who does not underestimate me.
    ...who probably doesn't exist.

....thus i have given up searching.
    [/quoteI

Is there an application process? LOL
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know that in the Houston area there is a web site (and I can not for the life of me remember the name right now) that is for singles but it isn't a dating site. It is all about hooking up with people to do fun activities. Hiking, Music events, Sporting events, etc. I haven't been on it but I am sure that there is probably something like that in a lot of cities.