Meeting Like Minded Singles

Options

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I know that in the Houston area there is a web site (and I can not for the life of me remember the name right now) that is for singles but it isn't a dating site. It is all about hooking up with people to do fun activities. Hiking, Music events, Sporting events, etc. I haven't been on it but I am sure that there is probably something like that in a lot of cities.

events and adventures?
  • zozilla09
    zozilla09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I live in a university town so it seems like the only place to meet people is either at a bar or WalMart. I never go to bars and WalMart...well...I did meet my last boyfriend in the produce section....sounds like it should've been the start to something meaningful (if nothing other than another sappy chick flick). It ended with him being too afraid of being a responsible adult. PS - we had planned to meet the next night for dinner and a movie but bumped into each other at WalMart....it wasn't like a chance meeting of a stranger. I know....I know.....the movie in everyone's mind just ended right? ha!
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I meet people everywhere! I can't go to the grocery store without meeting someone new. I try to have a fun attitude wherever I go and strike up converstion with just about anybody.

This is so me right now, everywhere I go I meet new people. Smiling is infectious and it attracts people.

I'm friendly and cheerful...I genuinely like people, for the most part, and I let it show. So, right or wrong, I'm going to go out on a limb and say my body type and lack of confidence might be an issue...I'm improving both, whether it gets me a date or not, but I'm curious for the results.
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know that in the Houston area there is a web site (and I can not for the life of me remember the name right now) that is for singles but it isn't a dating site. It is all about hooking up with people to do fun activities. Hiking, Music events, Sporting events, etc. I haven't been on it but I am sure that there is probably something like that in a lot of cities.

events and adventures?

that's the one!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    There is a website called grubwithus where you go to dinner with a group of people. It is not specifically for singles but I was thinking about giving it a try
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i'd like to meet someone...

...who can spell, use proper grammar, and who has a decent vocabulary. although capitalization and punctuation obviously isn't a major focus.
    ...who does not want children.
    ...who has or likes large dogs.
    ...who is affectionate without being smothering.
    ...who drinks but does not smoke.
    ...who texts daily or maybe every other day, but not unnecessarily often.
    ...who is arrogant and maybe a little selfish.
    ...who is hilarious, sarcastic, and intelligent all at once.
    ...who appreciates art.
    ...who limits phone conversations to times when texting simply will not do.
    ...who is financially, emotionally, mentally and physically independent.
    ...who does not need me, but wants me.
    ...who appreciates me and finds me adorable, not bothersome.
    ...who has an insatiable libido.
    ...who is ambitious.
    ...who does not underestimate me.

Oh I have not given up that he is out there.. somewhere. right?
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options

events and adventures?

that's the one!

Be careful with Events and Adventures. There was an article in one of the papers around here that they had a class action lawsuit brought against them. They are charging to JOIN the company and then, you have to pay for the events on top of that. And the cost to join is something ridiculous, like $1,000/year. Really??

I joined some meet-up groups via www.Meetup.com .. it's a great site and many locations have groups already started. I'm an Event Organizer for the Valley Forge Sports and Rec group. You definitely meet a wide variety of people in that way. I met my best friend through an event sponosered by a meet-up (he's my non-boyfriend boyfriend at the moment. It is hard to meet people, I will have to agree. Plenty of Fish seems to just be a plain old hook-up site, while Match isn't much better.

Anyone try eHarmony? I've heard mixed reviews and my experience was awful, but that was in 2004.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My challenge right now is that I don't want to. But I might want to in the future. When I'm happy with myself again. Until then, I'm not going to let anyone else be happy with me, either! It made me reluctant to join this group, but why not? I expect to be around this site for a year or two, maybe by then I'll have changed my mind.

Which brings me to the problem of meeting someone online, never a good thing in my experience, and distance is usually an issue. Trying to meet someone in the rightwing southern US is no picnic, either. I'm a femi-liberal, I'm sure Rush Limbaugh and his many adherents around here would not approve!

Which brings me to the issue of whether or not I want to even stay in this area for much longer. Which I don't. My primary reason for losing weight is to prepare myself for a future skedaddle. I hate this place, have ever since I moved here. Which makes dating an issue, too.

So yeah, everything about where I live is a nightmare. Sure, I could lose the weight and go pick some 20-something up, they're always prowling for a fling, but it wouldn't last, and it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. But oh well, the option is there, I suppose. Being single is pretty good most of the time, but one thing certainly is lacking.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Interesting... The title of this discussion is; "Meeting Like Minded Singles". Seems like everybody on this site is like minded to some degree. And the members of this group are supposedly single. So allow me to introduce myself and you'll meet a like minded single right here on "My fitness Pal". LOL.

I'm Phil.
  • Celiamariec
    Options
    Interesting... The title of this discussion is; "Meeting Like Minded Singles". Seems like everybody on this site is like minded to some degree. And the members of this group are supposedly single. So allow me to introduce myself and you'll meet a like minded single right here on "My fitness Pal". LOL.

I'm Phil.

Ha ha, You took the words right outta my mou.... err, fingers. :bigsmile: I'm Celia.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I'm Phil.

Hi Phil - I'm Robin
  • grobbygru
    Options

I'm Phil.

Hi Phil - I'm Robin

blah - double post :huh:
  • grobbygru
    Options
    I don't know if it's just being Australian or not (I did go to Hawaii once and found the same thing) - but I just find males now days really, really disrespectful. I don't know where they get off with their disgusting behaviours - but I just don't even bother anymore because they are really, really offputting. I prefer just to hang with mates and more and more just by myself, because I don't think this situation is going to get any better...........
  • VTXJOCKEY
    Options
    Hi Celia and Robin! Nice to meet you both. Robin, I'm sorry to hear you're experiences with dis-respectful men. Don't give up hope. When you least expect it......

Robin, perhaps you can clarify some experiences I had in Australia. About 20 yrs ago, I lived in Guam and traveled to Australia a couple times for work. Once was to Darwin and the second trip was to Brisbane. Seems to me that whenever I visited a club the men sat on one side of the room and the women on the other. ??? I remember on a few occcasions I would speak to and buy a lady a drink and/or light her cig. The reaction I got was one of disbelief on the ladies behalf. Almost as if that sort of thing didn't happen and she was surprised to see me do it. It gave me the impression that the men really didn't care. That baffled me a bit. I mean, all those pretty ladies and nobody was hitting on them. ?? What's your take on that?
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I'm Phil.

Hi like-minded single Phil!
  • VTXJOCKEY
    Options
    Hi Scapez!!!
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I tried the online dating site... it seemed promising until I actually met someone in real life. Online connections are deceiving. You can have the greatest conversations, text for hours and when you meet there's no chemistry, either on one or both sides. Most of the people on those sites say they want to meet someone with similar values, interests etc, and build on a friendship, but I think that what they really want is instant chemistry. Thesse days I don't know how else to do it though. Bars suck. I work from home too so the interaction is really minimized right there.

As for divorced people getting together with other divorced people, I get the feeling that it's more difficult for a divorced to meet and start a relationship with someone who is not in the same boat. Who wants all that baggage from someone else? Am I wrong?
  • grobbygru
    Options
    Hi Celia and Robin! Nice to meet you both. Robin, I'm sorry to hear you're experiences with dis-respectful men. Don't give up hope. When you least expect it......

Robin, perhaps you can clarify some experiences I had in Australia. About 20 yrs ago, I lived in Guam and traveled to Australia a couple times for work. Once was to Darwin and the second trip was to Brisbane. Seems to me that whenever I visited a club the men sat on one side of the room and the women on the other. ??? I remember on a few occcasions I would speak to and buy a lady a drink and/or light her cig. The reaction I got was one of disbelief on the ladies behalf. Almost as if that sort of thing didn't happen and she was surprised to see me do it. It gave me the impression that the men really didn't care. That baffled me a bit. I mean, all those pretty ladies and nobody was hitting on them. ?? What's your take on that?

It is actually always a running joke here how the men stand around the BBQ and the women are off on the other side of the garden!!! (the men always just talk about work too!!!)
    Now, I don't know if it is a lack of ego with them, an overinflated ego or some sort of shyness (I highly doubt that one). I am guessing it would of been more notable in Darwin also (I spend alot of time in Darwin as well as here on the West Coast).
    Women are mostly surprised if any chivalry is shown at all - although with the younger species of female now - the less standards the males have, the females are just falling into line with the lack of respect shown and cop this crap.
    I am assuming (I might be wrong) that you were/are in the forces with the work travel you did. I have just got out of the same industry and I can tell you that the majority of these are even worse than the everyday bloke also. There will be a big shake up in the next year of so for these guys - we are getting A LOT of US servicemen (and probably women) setting up at our bases - particularly Darwin and Perth - I know the US servicemen created a lot of 'jealousies' in the 1940s LOL.
    I am not sure what is wrong with them - it is almost like they would be considered 'lesser men' if they were to show respect, put in time with their children, understand their wives and girlfriends and accept and embrace the finer things in life. I am not saying they are all like this - but it would be the majority - and the minority have been snapped up.
    Anyways - I have given up lol. Until I meet one that is NOT like that. I would rather be single than put up with their bad behaviour. :noway:
  • VTXJOCKEY
    Options
    @vox23 - I hear what you're saying about the baggage from someone else. I saw this women and boy did dhe have baggage from her ex. The guy's a real jerk and is always using the kids as a way to make her life miserable. And I thought, is this something I want to put up with? I mean it sounds selfish but how can there be happiness if there's always misery? But when you get to my age, almost all the single women have been divorced. The trick is to find the one with the least baggage.

@robin - This is interesting. I'm not saying there is a lot of chivalry in the US. I bet women wish there was more but there seems to be a bit more here than there. Must be a cultural thing. ??? Yes, I was in the US Air Force for 21 years. I did get to travel a lot and miss the travel very much. You say you have given up. I don't believe you. :-) But I do believe that you should be happy and not have to put up with a bunch of BS. I should believe it myself when I say, when you least expect it..... You just never know. :glasses:
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I live in Houston too. Is it meetup.com? If not when you find it, please let me know.