Gels and chews

Options
My long runs are getting into the 13 mile range, and while I wear a running belt in which i carry some powerade/water I'm looking to start experimenting with the electrolyte chews and/or gels. any suggestions on brands? flavors? when during the run to eat them? how often? and should I change my diet that day around that extra carbohydrate intake?

Ive heard that you need them about every 10 miles. is that about right?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Step one, they are lots of products out there, they differ in flavor & texture. It is a matter of trail and error to determine what you like. You always want to take them with water, not sports drinks.

With the standard 90/100 calorie gels, I usually take my first one between miles 8 -10. Then I I'll take another every 4 or 5 milers after than. Some people do it by time instead of miles.

Some people like tootsie rolls, jelly beans, gummy bears, etc. Just try some different things and see what you like.

These days, I prefer Clif Bloks (margarita flavor). I like how the pack fits in pocket, I like that I can take them a couple at a time (you cant put a half opened gel back in your pocket).
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the Honey Stingers. The texture of some of the gels is just to thick for me and I like the flavor of honey. The chews stick to my teeth and then I'm distracted from running. I feel like I need waaay more water to get the stuff off of my teeth. It's all just too much for me to think about.

I usually do the first stinger around mile 7 or 8 then every 5 or 6 miles after. That's what I did this last race I think.

It is all trial and error. It's good to start working it out now.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    (you cant put a half opened gel back in your pocket).

Yep.. learned that the hard way. Thought I could be slick and kinda roll it up and tuck it in... not so slick.. more like sticky.

My last 1/2 I took 1/2 a gel starting at mile 6 and then every 3-4 miles after that. I had to hold the gel in my hand the whole time and that kinda blew but it worked. I also switched between water and electrolytes at every other aid station.

I like the bloks but sometimes I'm not a big fan of having to chew while running... I have a hard enough time drinking while running but it may be just because I'm really not that coordinated. :bigsmile:
  • arc918
    Options
    Even within the same products, I find the various flavors can be different. The cherry bloks are stickier than the margarita flavor.

I can eat jelly beans all day, but I find the Sports Beans to be too sweet and sticky for me while running.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I use Gu for my long runs. Easy to use, tastes good. Works for me.
  • SammySam5205
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Ill probably start experimenting this weekend on my long run, Im up to 13 miles and I feel like I need something other than sports drink to keep me from dying at the end.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use Gu for my long runs. Easy to use, tastes good. Works for me.
    I like Gu too. I use the roctane formula for the extra caffeine since I run early in the AM and need a little wake-up call.

Some flavors are much better then others though. I'm partial to the pineapple and the orange creme. NOT a fan of the expresso or anything of a chocolate nature.
  • arc918
    Options
    I haven't used it in years (as I needed more sodium & potassium), but for taste alone nothing beats Carbboom Apple Cinnamon gel (IMHO). It taste like the stuff left on your plate after eating a slice of Marie Calendar's apple pie. It tastes good enough to drizzle over vanilla ice cream.
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think the Chocolate GU is the best in the winter (not so good in the summer). I stick to Vanilla Bean in the hot summer months. However, I try not to use any type of GU in training runs and save it for races since I know it doesn't upset my stomach. It is the extra boost I need during a race.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a gel that I like...but I haven't really tried too many either, it's a texture thing for me. I really liked the Clif Shot bloks but have recently found that they're not agreeing with me either. I'm now looking into different more natural things to eat while running, I've tried a pancake made with buckwheat, cornmeal and white chia, honey and a few other things...tastes pretty good, but not as convenient to carry with me. On long runs I usually take 1/2 a banana with me. My running buddies like to tease me about the "buffet" I carry with me :happy: Another friend swears by marshmallows, depends on the person I guess.

Does anyone else have other more natural type foods they eat on long runs? My stomach is just not liking the other things right now. Although I have tried the honey stinger things and those were good :) didn't try them while running though. My husband is Dutch and his family has the same sort of things called stroopwafels...might have to try those while running too.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I like them every 7-8 miles, but have heard from nutritionists that every 45 minutes is good...so it averages about the same. I try to factor them into my intake. I have also recently discovered that the Powerbar ones are not horrible. I usually use GU brand, but these were on sale and I was suprised they worked
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm new to the long runs and was wondering about this also. What is the difference in using the gels or bloks over just jelly beans or gummy bears?
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the long runs and was wondering about this also. What is the difference in using the gels or bloks over just jelly beans or gummy bears?

This link is great, has tons of info all in one place about the different gels etc. I personally use raisins in saran wrap on my long runs, works great for me and it's super cheap, can suck on them slowly or chew them up all at once. Raisins are naturally high in potassium and magnesium. I wouldn't do candy because it actually doesn't contain any natural sources of electrolytes or minerals.

http://www.athleteinme.com/ArticleView.aspx?id=302
  • arc918
    Options

This link is great, has tons of info all in one place about the different gels etc. I personally use raisins in saran wrap on my long runs, works great for me and it's super cheap, can suck on them slowly or chew them up all at once. Raisins are naturally high in potassium and magnesium. I wouldn't do candy because it actually doesn't contain any natural sources of electrolytes or minerals.

http://www.athleteinme.com/ArticleView.aspx?id=302

I like the idea of raisins, but dried fruit will send my right to the restroom which is last thing I want when I'm running.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Gu just announced Peanut Butter Gu! I plan on mixing this with the Berry Gu and making PB&J Gu for my HIM!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    gummy bears for me.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I alternate Honey Stinger gel and some kind of Gu... made the mistake of taking only one flavour of Gu on my last half marathon and got tired of the same taste/texture. I've also tried Clif Shot gel and actually prefer the texture of it to the Gu (it's a bit runnier), but I've already bought a Gu variety pack, so will go through that first.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have other more natural type foods they eat on long runs?

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheese crackers (specifically goldfish or I stay away from them), pretzels. Sometimes a trail mix but ones with only nuts and dried fruit. Trader Joe's has these packets of puréed fruit (apple and apple/banana) that I like a lot but they are a bit bulky to cart around. PB&Js are a staple. They've gotten me through some really brutal trail marathons when nothing was remotely appealing on the aid station tables. It took me a while to figure out what solid food worked for me. It's an experiment of one.
  • cynfullcyn
    cynfullcyn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    has anyone noticed a change in performance in the Gel packs that have caffeine?

would you say they are better or not?

do they dehydrate you more?
  • arc918
    Options
    has anyone noticed a change in performance in the Gel packs that have caffeine?

would you say they are better or not?

do they dehydrate you more?

My $.02 - I don't think I can't tell the difference, but I sometimes try to save them for late in the race. I guess it also depends on whether you are a coffee junkie or not.

Bottom line keep trying them out on your long runs to get it all dialed in before race day.