Speeds for Treadmill

Options
rodeomc
rodeomc Posts: 17 Member
What do you set the speeds on the treadmill for your runs and walks? I am thinking of starting this today but don't know where to set the speed.

Thanks!

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I do a warm-up about about 3.5 and then run at 4.5 - 4.7 and walk at 3.5 - 3.7. I depends on how I feel for the day!

I also have a slight incline, 1.5, so it won't be as shocking when I get to the pavement outside and start having to deal with real hills!
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.7 and run anywhere from 5.5 to 7 depending on how ambitious i am. :o)
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    It varies for everyone, so I would play around with your speeds and what you are comfortable with.

I usually walk at a 4.0 and my run will be anywhere from a 5.5-8.0 depending on the day (and how long it has been since I last ran!)
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I walk at 4.0 and run at 5.0. I'm sure it is different for everyone. Just find what feels right for you.
  • erialsea
    erialsea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started today. I walked at 3.9 and ran at 6. The incline is a great idea, I'll have to add that next time. Maybe my pace will go down?
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do a warm-up about about 3.5 and then run at 4.5 - 4.7 and walk at 3.5 - 3.7. I depends on how I feel for the day!

I also have a slight incline, 1.5, so it won't be as shocking when I get to the pavement outside and start having to deal with real hills!

I am about the same except my incline is on 1% but starting tomorrow its going up to 1.5%
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting to me! I have been doing all my running outside, but I get a treadmill on Sunday and it's quite interesting to see how everyone differs using the treadmill to accomplish c25k! You all are doing great! Maybe since I am almost done with c25k, I do it again on the treadmill with a decent incline :)
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sorry I guess I'm lazy lol when I am on the treadmill I don't use an incline and walk at 3.5 run at 4.5 all the way up to 6. Just depends on how I feel. I try to do most of my running outside and I really have no way to gauge my speed.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I just started today and I ended up walking at 3 and running at 4.5. I also had a 1% incline.

I am shorter, so I don't know if that affects my speed abilities. I definitely was not walking at 4.5!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I did my walks at 3.5 and runs at 5. No incline.

Some incline surely will help with going outside, but going outside is still going to work muscles in your legs that you are not using on a treadmill. That's where I am now...running outside, graduated the program on treadmill about 2 weeks ago.

eta: It's most important to run whatever is comfortable for you. Whatever pace you can manage for the time you need to do it, that's what you should do. You can work on speed later on as your fitness levels increase!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    eta: It's most important to run whatever is comfortable for you. Whatever pace you can manage for the time you need to do it, that's what you should do. You can work on speed later on as your fitness levels increase!

Just thought that was worth repeating!

My first time through C25K my goals was making it through. Then I focused in increasing my speeds. And now I am just using it as a way to keep some consistency during the holiday months. Your needs will vary as time goes on, find a way to complete this (treadmill, outside, fast, slow, etc...) that works to meet your current needs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I did 3.5 for walking and 5 for running the first time around. I kept inching up the speed to get to the point where I couldn't walk anymore, and that happened around 5 for me.

I fully agree with "find what's best for you."
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 and I walk at 3.2 and run at 5.6. I want to try to increase my speed but I'm not quite ready yet.
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I use these speeds as well. I probably could run faster, but since I need to work on my pace and endurance I use these speeds so I can finish the runs (still with a struggle). I am in week 8 and after graduation I will continue to run 3 days and increase my speed and incline to keep it a challenging.