what's the limit?

Options
Sometimes I wonder where we draw the line...too much exercise?

When has it become an unhealthy obsession (in all seriousness) and when is it just a healthy passion that you take seriously?

I've thought about this and wonder if I have crossed the line or not. I don't think I have but to an outsider it might appear that way. How do you know the difference?

Replies

• MrsJackieH
    MrsJackieH Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is a good question and im not sure. I try to work out everyday at least once and sometimes twice a day. I feel great but my husband gets on me alot about taking a break and giving my body some rest time. hes always worried im gonna pass out or something from pushing myself to hard, so ill b glad to see what some people say.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Very good question, we each should learn to distinguish when our body is at it's limit. Unfortunately for some, we don't know until it's too late. I've gone weeks in a row without a rest day, doing split routines for 5-6 days a week and felt fine. Then there are times when I'm not training as frequently but my body is just worn out. Stress level, rest quality and quantity, nutrition, etc. all play a major role in our body's ability to recover.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    On my kids free weekends.. i get up and go to the gym and spend about three hours there between cardio and lifting.
    And I LOVE it. I don't know what the limit is, some say I've reached it.

My(normally very supportive) significant other is constantly telling me "it's not normal, and everybody but you thinks it's assinine". But honestly I love it. I could stay longer than three hours, I just leave because I know people will start to worry.

But I never get tired of being there. On weeknights I wish I could spend longer there. It's an addiction, it's a love.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    Very interesting question. Allow me to thank you first for sharing this to us. I believe and agree with fpacudan point of view. Resistance training can be very addictive and its easy for us to fall into the trap of over training which we all know is counter productive to our ultimate goals - to get fit and stay that way forever! I like to quote that we need to train to stimulate and not annihilate. I honestly never tried training 7 days straight. I always take a day or two intervals or 5 days straight then 2 days straight recovery. I also take a week off before I switch to another workout routine. So I guess it's pretty simple, we just need to be discipline, have self control and most importantly, listen to our body and should give it ample time to recover through quality of rest and proper nutrition.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to keep my Heart Rate as high as possible without blacking out while doing cardio. I can get up as high as 184... Any higher and I will hit the ground, lights out.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    On my kids free weekends.. i get up and go to the gym and spend about three hours there between cardio and lifting.

My(normally very supportive) significant other is constantly telling me "it's not normal, and everybody but you thinks it's assinine". But honestly I love it. I could stay longer than three hours, I just leave because I know people will start to worry.

But I never get tired of being there. On weeknights I wish I could spend longer there. It's an addiction, it's a love.

This is what I'm afraid of. People I love (someday) thinking it's too much. If I'm neglecting them/hurting them in any capacity...wouldn't that be too much? Not on a physical level but it's impairing other areas of your life. Of your S.O. is usually supportive and says you've gone too far, don't you trust that he's concerned and not being an a-hole?
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    no limit until plateau or max hr..
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

This is what I'm afraid of. People I love (someday) thinking it's too much. If I'm neglecting them/hurting them in any capacity...wouldn't that be too much? Not on a physical level but it's impairing other areas of your life. Of your S.O. is usually supportive and says you've gone too far, don't you trust that he's concerned and not being an a-hole?
    It hasn't caused me to neglect anybody or anything in my life at this point. That's a big factor in why I don't find a gym with daycare. Having my kids every other week it would be awful to spend half my time with them in gym daycare.
    I totally trust he's being concerned. I haven't been feeling well, I've been quite run down. He blames it on the gym, but I simply don't think thats the issue. Bloodwork will determine that for me.
    It's hard for me to believe that there are people here who do marathons and all the impressive stuff that they do, and for some reason my body isn't capable of the same.

I hope that doesn't sound defensive. It's not meant to!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Wow babe, it's amazing how I have become your S.O.
    You can believe me when I say that I will support you as long as you aren't choosing to do anything that is detrimental to your health. I'm certain you will do the same for me and intervene in case I make a decision which may put me at risk. I love you baby!