Good Books and Movies

Options
1235»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Funny. I'm probably channeling his mother in a lecturing mood. Different people call him Dan, Danny, or Daniel in the book, depending on the circumstances.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker. The book, not the movie based on the book which heterofied the plot.
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    The Miles by Robert lennon- His expereience in NYC on getting fit withe LGBT running group.. Interesting read.
  • scorchy808
    scorchy808 Posts: 26
    Options
    Here's some that span the years in no particular order:

When Night is Falling
    Lianna
    Chutney Popcorn
    Mulholland Dr
    Edge of Seventeen
    Female Trouble
    The Children's Hour
    The Runaways
    Faster *****cat, Kill! Kill!

Honorable mention: Showgirls
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Just started STONEWALL... and I'm thinking of putting it down.. the beginning with intros of characters and history seems , there're no other words, trite and stupid... SHOULD I KEEP PLOWING ON?

Also reading Harry Belafonte's autobiography.. LOVING IT... early life,, little island slant,,, segregation... , civil rights. really liking it.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I've never read "Stonewall," but if it starts off trite and stupid, it will probably continue trite and stupid. Maybe skip the background and go straight to the action.

Just curious which book you're talking about. I assume one of the Stonewall riot books, not a Stonewall Jackson one! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=stonewall
  • jerber160
    Options
    I've never read "Stonewall," but if it starts off trite and stupid, it will probably continue trite and stupid. Maybe skip the background and go straight to the action.

Just curious which book you're talking about. I assume one of the Stonewall riot books, not a Stonewall Jackson one! http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=stonewall

YEAH, THIS IS THE ONE.... IT HAS TO GET MORE INTERESTING...
  • jerber160
    Options
    WONDERING IF ANYONE HEARD THE PIECE ON NPR THIS MORNNG ABOUT ALEXANDER DUMAS? AND NAPOLEON? AND SON'S WRITING? I GOT TO WORK IN THE MIDDLE AND DIDN'T HEAR THE END BUT IT WAS PRETTY FASCINATING..
  • antonyheaven
    antonyheaven Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are so many wonderful books and films with gay themes. Here are the ones that come to me immediately ...

BOOKS

A Fairly Honourable Defeat, Iris Murdoch,
    A Home at the End of the World, Michael Cunningham
    Dance on My Grave, Aidan Chambers
    Kiss Of The Spider Woman, Manuel Puig (also an amazing film and stage play)
    Tales of the City, Armistead Maupin

FILMS

Angels in America (if we're allowed mini series)
    A Single Man
    Beautiful Thing
    Brokebank Mountain
    La Cage Aux Folles (preferably the 1979 version)
    Milk
    My Beautiful Launderette
    My Own Private Idaho
    Priscilla Queen of the Desert
    The Killing of Sister George
    Torch Song Trilogy
    To Wong Foo
  • jerber160
    Options
    thanks topper.. i thought it was too. I have to hear the entire piece. the napoleon tie in.. fascinating..especially for anyone who has been to the beach with the count of monte cristo
  • Diegoavi19
    Diegoavi19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like this one book by Brent Hartinger called Geography Club, which recently I learned is being made into a film and will be release this year. really curious to see how that's going to be like.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Loved Geography Club!
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What's it about?
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you are a fan of Portlandia and John Waters-esque films, I thought "Rid of Me" (Netflix streaming) was pretty good. The beginning is jarring, but it gets better.

And I have to mention for books Michelle Tea's Valencia or The Chelsea Whistle, which maybe I'm biased just being a San Franciscan and knowing some of the characters.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    And I have to mention for books Michelle Tea's Valencia or The Chelsea Whistle, which maybe I'm biased just being a San Franciscan and knowing some of the characters.
    aoh my god, thank you for bringing up Valencia! It was one of the first LGBT+ lit I ever read and I've been trying to remember the author's name for ages! ;3;
  • treetop57
    Options
    Geography Club is about a group of high school misfits (most of them gay or bisexual) who start a club. They call it the geography club on the assumption that no one would be interested in joining if they really thought it was about geography.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever read Will Self's Dorian? It's a modern (1980's) adaption of Dorian Grey where the characters are as gay as the subtext made them out to be. Another I read in middle school when I first started questioning was Empress of the World by Sara Ryan, which apparently became a series since I last read it??? Seven years demands a reread, love me some cheesy YA fiction.
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    Book: The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson
  • rabbitrage
    rabbitrage Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Books (so far): Stone Butch Blues - Leslie Feinburg, Valencia - Michelle Tea, anything by Poppy Z Brite, Naked Lunch - William S Burroughs, the Wet Moon series by Ross Campbell, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues - Tom Robbins and Lynne Flewelling's Nightrunner series (even though they've started to go a tad downhill, the first three are brilliant).

And I don't watch a lot of films but recently I saw Otto; or Up With Dead People, which was pretty cool.