Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    craft338 - That is awesome. I am hoping to reach my goal this year.

Ah, did some house cleaning last night, followed by some yoga. Didn't each much the rest of the day. I was so full from lunch. I did have 2 granola bars and drank my water. As for today I was off to the doctor. Little man had a check-up to see if his double ear infections are gone. NOPE! Had to go to the pharmacy to get more stronger meds for another 10 days. After this round of meds one more round of stronger meds and off to surgery to get tubes in. He is in so much pain he will not let me touch his little ears. :-( Sad mommy over here.

Other then that all is good. I am back on track. Grabbed 2 eggo waffles for breakfast for the ride to the doctor then an apple between the doc and pharmacy. Got a latte at Costco only had half, then at work had a granola bar. Going to heat up some lunch in a few. Keeping my chin up, but I have a feeling I may have gained a few pounds (could be bloating. I am going to try to get to yoga and my treadmill tonight. Might be a bit difficult, but I will try my best.

Anyway, I am playing catch up at work, so gotta go. Have a wonderful day my fellow Ravenclaws!

mish ;-)
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Ravenclaw! Quick lunch-time check in to say hi! My classes this term are at the college, so this is a new experience for me. (Can walking to the classes count as a new exercise for me for our challenge this week? :laugh: ) All of my previous classes were online, but one class was not offered online so have to go in person. Am still on track with my pre-packaged snacks, but I was so hungry when I got home last night - and hubby had not thought to have dinner ready :( - that I grabbed a hot wing and some chips before dinner was ready. Will try to plan for the before-dinner time better. Back to work - have a wonderful day!!
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    Wednesday.

Called in for jury duty tomorrow, was told I don't have to report tomorrow or Friday - not sure whether I'm disappointed or relieved. Was looking forward to possibly a different plan for the day (where I get to be a grownup-without-kids all day?) - but it would have complicated other plans, so I guess it's ok I'm not called in...of course now I don't have ane xcuse to not go in to work tomorrow, oh well! :)

Not doing well in tracking this week, rarely by the computer. Haven't prepackaged any snacks, all I've been having are things that are already sort of packaged themselves - individual cheese sticks, apples. I do have a bag of pretzels I *could* pre-bag, but those are mostly for my kids' snacks, I don't usually snack on them...maybe I will once I've bagged them..

LA
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    Oh, meant to say - someone posted that she heard drinking coffee raised glucose levels - I've never heard that, only about how drinking coffee reduces risk of diabetes and other things. Please post your source.

Was reminded to comment on this by seeing another piece related today: http://news.yahoo.com/why-heavy-coffee-drinkers-may-lower-risk-diabetes-121715533.html
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Oh, meant to say - someone posted that she heard drinking coffee raised glucose levels - I've never heard that, only about how drinking coffee reduces risk of diabetes and other things. Please post your source.

Was reminded to comment on this by seeing another piece related today: http://news.yahoo.com/why-heavy-coffee-drinkers-may-lower-risk-diabetes-121715533.html

I'm the one who posted that. I had done a google search - "does coffee raise blood sugar levels". The results were from Mayo Clinic, diabetes blogs and boards, a CBS news report, and a bunch of others. One of them did say that coffee can help diabetes, but its not the caffeine - its some other compound in the coffee. Caffeine apparently is the culprit in the increased blood glucose levels.
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm Louise and I've just joined this group, not in a house yet. I would love to be in Ravenclaw if I can, I'm a beta tester on the new Pottermore site and I was sorted into Ravenclaw there. Just started here on MFP, I don't actually own a pair of scales yet so I have no way of weighing myself at the moment, but I think I'm about 90kg or about 200 pounds. Hopefully will find out exactly soon.

I love Harry Potter so I'm pretty happy there's a Harry Potter community here on this site.
  • mish3131
    Options
    Morning. Bad day yesterday stress wise. Considering I don't think I did too bad. Heading for a better day today. Hopefully it will be. I will check back later.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday all!

Am in a bad mood, just had an email to say I didn't get the job I wanted, Grrrrrr! Not a good week so far!

psb13- I hope your husband's ok! And craft 338, if you make it those last few pounds to 100 lost in a year it would be EPIC, we're all behind you!!!

WhatsEatingYou- I think being organised and taking apples, or chees strings etc count as pre-packaged snacks. I think the challenge is more to remind up to plan ahead, and not just think 'I'll grab something at school (or wherever)' and then ending up grabbing chips or chocolate or somthing like that. I've bought fruit to school every day this week, three peices each day, and I'm definitely thinking it counts as an OWL for those days! (It best do, becuase I am massively failing the exercise challenge!!)
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Posting this separately so it gets seen...

Weezieishness - welcome to Ravenclaw! You can def join us if you want to!

for info, the rules etc are here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/398364-inter-house-challenges-rules-info-s

To join us, you need to start entering your weight in this google doc:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnaZ2CBZ3MgTdGxWaWE5OVU0dkQzRE9hRko0S0huT3c&hl=en_GB#gid=0

You need to update your weight once a week, between Friday and Monday pm. The more weight you lose, the better we do in the interhouse cup!

I'll not bore you with all the stuff, but please feel free to message me or add me as a friend, and add Kellyisfat as well, we are both Heads of Ravenclaw.

Nearly Friday, woot!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    happy wednesday Ravenclaw!! didn't have time to check in this morning. husband came home from hospital today after hernia surgery yesterday. he is doing well (better than he seems to think :laugh: ). i am trying to remind myself that i HAVE to work out tonight as i am short on workouts this week d/t being at hospital with him. right now i am smelling a lovely aroma of lentil soup coming from my kitchen!! think i'll eat first then work out to earn a second helping!!

craft 338 -my fingers, toes, and eyeballs are crossed for good luck for reaching your goal!!
    lottee-sorry you didn't get the job. maybe it's because there's something better out there for you.
    weezieishness-welcome to Ravenclaw...hope you love it here as much as i do!!
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Hmmm - Penny, I hope it is really Thursday - otherwise I'm in for a big letdown tomorrow! :laugh: Glad your hubby is doing well. Men can be such babies though.

Welcome weezieishness! Ravenclaw is the absolute best house! You'll love it here.

Gotta run - have homework to do! Have a good night everyone!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm Louise and I've just joined this group, not in a house yet. I would love to be in Ravenclaw if I can, I'm a beta tester on the new Pottermore site and I was sorted into Ravenclaw there. Just started here on MFP, I don't actually own a pair of scales yet so I have no way of weighing myself at the moment, but I think I'm about 90kg or about 200 pounds. Hopefully will find out exactly soon.

I love Harry Potter so I'm pretty happy there's a Harry Potter community here on this site.

By the way, since you mentioned you don't have a scale yet, don't get nervous about not being able to be part of the group without that piece. A big part of the inter-house challenges involves the weigh-ins, but you can also just participate in just the House Points (exercise minutes) until you have an official weight or you can just hang out in the CR and chat and participate in challenges until then as well.

You can also check out this page for more general info, but you've already completed most of the steps, so it might not be as helpful for you ;) www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kellyisfat/view/hogwarts-january-inter-house-challenge-ravenclaw-house-193681

Definitely glad to have you with us!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    Hmmm - Penny, I hope it is really Thursday - otherwise I'm in for a big letdown tomorrow! :laugh: Glad your hubby is doing well. Men can be such babies though.

sorry about that!! it's been a strange week...it is really friday now :bigsmile: . quick checkin before work.
    definitely agree about the men being babies!! he can't believe he was discharge "so soon" (3 day inpatient stay for what is actually outpatient surgery).

did 30DS last night...i really hate jillian :tongue: !!! looks like i might be doing some shoveling for house points this weekend.
    that's ok...a snowy weekend is still a weekend!! hope it's great for everyone.
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Hi Ravenclaws...

For those of you weighing today, here are your challenges for next week, to start on the day you weigh in...

Exercise: The core is important. The stronger your core, the better you will perform all exercises, and the less likely you are to injure yourself. Aim to do ten minutes of core exercises every day. These can be built into your usual workout, or as an extra. You can get some ideas here:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047
    One OWL for every day you do ten minutes of core exercises.

Food: This is one I need help with, so I'm inflicting it on the rest of you!! The challenge is to stay within your fat macro for the week. If you always do this, pick a different macro which is normally problematic and aim to keep that under instead.
    One OWL for every day that you meet your chosen macro.

Happy Friday, Ravenclaws!!
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    I did take that bag of pretzels I'd gotten for the kids' snacks and portion it out - put the zip lock baggies back into the pretzel package tho, so they wouldnt' slip all over the counter! lol.

I have been fairly good with the eating (not ideal - need more veggies for instance, but around the lower calorie mark), SO hard to figure out how many calories I'm actually eating when we go out, though. We had pizza one night at a local pizza place, not a chain - do I use the 591 calori slice of Sbarro or the 245 calorie slice or some other pizza chain when I'm figuring out fat and calories?? I had two slices so I compromised and put on one of each, but - how do you tell? I have no idea how Frank's pizza compares to national brands...

So good on calories yesterday till dinner - husband cooked and served, and he uses lots of cooking oil (hard to even judge how much) and doles out a lot of pasta, etc. Can't say anything though, he'll take anything as a criticizm and refuse to cook for a month, and there are nights I'm just not home...so I just tried to put in the calories as accurately as I could. Good thing I was light till dinner at least.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I did take that bag of pretzels I'd gotten for the kids' snacks and portion it out - put the zip lock baggies back into the pretzel package tho, so they wouldnt' slip all over the counter! lol.

I have been fairly good with the eating (not ideal - need more veggies for instance, but around the lower calorie mark), SO hard to figure out how many calories I'm actually eating when we go out, though. We had pizza one night at a local pizza place, not a chain - do I use the 591 calori slice of Sbarro or the 245 calorie slice or some other pizza chain when I'm figuring out fat and calories?? I had two slices so I compromised and put on one of each, but - how do you tell? I have no idea how Frank's pizza compares to national brands...

So good on calories yesterday till dinner - husband cooked and served, and he uses lots of cooking oil (hard to even judge how much) and doles out a lot of pasta, etc. Can't say anything though, he'll take anything as a criticizm and refuse to cook for a month, and there are nights I'm just not home...so I just tried to put in the calories as accurately as I could. Good thing I was light till dinner at least.

@ WhatsEatingYou - You've made good efforts this week! If you don't finish everything on your plate, will your husband get upset? I have the same problem with mine, but he has finally figured out to let me serve myself. I've been at this for almost a year - so give it some time but be persistent. As for pizza, I try to judge which chain my pizza looks most like. I've eaten at just about every chain in the past, so I pick the best "match" and go with that.

I have be SO hungry this week! I don't know what in the world my metabolism is up to but I have managed to avoid the candy bowls for the most part this week. Having my pre-packaged snacks has really helped and I hope I will see some progress on the scale on Sunday.

Have a great Friday everyone!
  • alohashley
    alohashley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bad day yesterday! I am the worst dieter ever! Didn't record my food and ate terrible but today I will not stray!
  • mish3131
    Options
    Hi everyone. It's been a good/bad week lol! Tonight my MIL is making lasagna so I have budgeted for it. Today has been a good day for me. I am hoping I will keep it up for the next few days. I did check the scale this morning and was unpleasantly surprised. But, I am not discouraged.
  • WhatsEatingYou
    Options
    I finally looked up the coffee/glucose thing. Apparently, IF you have diabetes, it may raise your glucose levels.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20080128/caffeine-risks-may-rattle-diabetics
  • lottee1000
    Options
    Happy Saturday Ravenclaws!

I love being productive on Saturday mornings (when I haven't had a drink the night before...) This morning have been swimming, been to the bank, shopped, and cleaned the house. A bit worried about weigh-in on Monday though, we'll see...

Have also done some research about strengthening the core for this week's challenge. Swimming is great for the core, as is using the elliptical, WITHOUT arms. So if you use the elliptical in your workout, think about completing ten minutes on it with your hands clasped behind your back. THis means the pressure is on your core to balance while your legs are still moving top speed. try it!