Gryffindor Common Room

Options

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Oh, holy crap. Thanksgiving was not so kind to me, but I'm not going to let it get me down!

CW: 260 (ouch)
    OWLs: 50
    NEWTs: 0
    HPs: 50
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hello Gryffs! For this week's challenge I looked up some stuff on protein. I see a lot of posts here about 1g protein per pound of weight, others have said 1g per pound of lean muscle mass (like I have the opportunity to figure that out!). That just seems like A LOT of protein. And I've also read that a lot of Americans eat way more protein than is necessary and the "average" woman only needs about 45g of protein. So I found this site that I like:

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Much-Protein-Should-I-Eat-165578

When I did the calculations, it came out like MFP's according to my daily activity level. And when we add in exercise, our macros increase accordingly. So I think I'm sticking with MFP's calculations. But I also found another site that said there was a study that showed that participants lost weight best on a diet that had 30% of daily calories from protein - but the suggestion is that it's because it keeps people more satiated - well so does adequate fiber! (MFPs is 15% - sorry, but I am not interested in deliberately doubling my protein intake!). The study was mentioned on webmd's website.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/protein

What are you all doing?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Today's weigh in 121.5lb (as a start point because I've been off for a while)
    It's half a pound more than I have been, flippin' TOM grrrr!

OWL - 35 push ups
    NEWT - It wasn't thanksgiving here in England, but we had a big family birthday meal - I worked out in the gym beforehand, AND I didn't go over on my calories in the end, so win / win and 5 Newts to me. :bigsmile:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options

What are you all doing?

That site is interesting. I've just used MFP's goals for myself since the beginning, but according to that site I should be at closer to 90g of protein per day. I found another article about protein that agreed with the amount of protein versus body weight as your article claimed, and it said that over 30% protein is considered high-protein and could be dangerous without the proper balance (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900). I found a WebMD slide show about protein, and it also said between 10-15% protein is normal (http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-high-protein-diet).

Both of the sites with formulas say I should have a little over 90g of protein per day, but that's closer to 20% of my intake. MFP has it set at 15%, but that's only a little over 70g for me. I think I need to work on eating my veggies more consistently, because I've been terrible about it for awhile now, so I'm going to keep my protein where MFP puts it and challenge myself to eat my veggies instead of increasing my protein.

Perhaps it's adjusted for weight loss, like the calorie deficit? I think the 15% feels more reasonable for me :)

Veganbaum, I think you did exactly what you should have. You informed yourself and made a decision based on what you found. It's all about becoming informed and experimenting with what works for our bodies, anyways, right? :) You're off to a great start for the week!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Ok, I really like the chocolate frog and the TOADs ideas for our new socializing points category, but I have another idea to throw out there before we take a rough vote.

I was perusing a Harry Potter dictionary for ideas, and came across SPEW. Now, we know Hermione created SPEW to help House Elves, and my intention for this new category is to reward you for coming to the Common Room often for support and motivation and advice (not just to give you something else to do) from your fellow Housemates. I thought it was pretty perfect :)

I'm still open to ideas, including FROGs (shortened from Chocolate Frogs) and TOADs (because it sounds cool), but right now my vote is for SPEW.

What do you guys think?
  • tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Gryffindor :D

Last Monday: 153.4 lbs
    Today: 152.8 lbs
    Newts: 0 points
    Owls: 0 Points
    House Points: Monday, Nov 21st to Sunday, Nov 27th totalled 92 Minutes = 92 Points
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Afternoon first real check in!

Last Monday: 199lb
    CW: 197LB
    Newts: 5 (If it counts, not thanksgiving here for me but I made an effort to add a workout before my early morning shift, something i have never done before)
    Owls: 125 push ups for 125 owls
    House Points: from last check in to now 295 minutes = 295 points

I really have felt motivated this last week thanks to this group so thanks!!
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Monday check in time:

CW: 162 (down 2 pounds!)
    OWLS: 120
    NEWTS: 5 (even though I spent Thanksgiving alone I decided to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner compelte with huge turkey, but decided to see if I could reduce the calories on the sides. I suceeded in making a bunch of low calorie, yet totally yummy side dishes and saved myslef a load of calories. And I did an extra kick boxing workout that morning just in case I wanted seconds...which suprisingly I didn't.)
    HP: 440
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    For the new catagory I was going to suggest HIPPOGRIFFS, because they're just cool. But, I'm digging SPEW as well.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I'm still open to ideas, including FROGs (shortened from Chocolate Frogs) and TOADs (because it sounds cool), but right now my vote is for SPEW.

What do you guys think?
    I have enough temptation coming at me from all directions, without seeing chocolate frogs on here - my vote is for a nice unappetising SPEW. :D
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    st (8-1) w 33 h 35 b 37
    10/1 goal: w 28/30 h 30/32 b 34/36
    10/31 goal: same as 10/1 but with my booty being what it is now
    11/30: staying the same as i am now, burning between 7500 and 8500 calories every week

8-8 to 8-22 same as start
    8-29 w 32 h 35 b 361/2
    9-4 w 311/2 h 341/2 b 36
    9-12 w 31 h 34 b 36
    9-19 w 30 h 32 b 34
    9-26 w 30 h 32 b 331/2
    10-2 w 29 3/4 h 32 b 33
    10-9 w 29 1/4 h 32 b 32
    10-17 w 28 1/4 h 31 b 32
    10-23 w 28 h 31 b 31 1/2
    10-30 w 28 h 31 b 31 1/2
    11-7 nothing different (i blame TOM)
    11-14 w 28 h 30.5 b 31
    11-21 no change
    11-28 again no change

goal between 7500 and 8500

owls newts and hps: none, didnt have internet so i didnt log anything
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I could go with SPEW.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I still like Chocolate Frogs just because, like Mindy said, they remind me of the kids socializing and stuff like that. But I could go with SPEW. Guess it's kind of like - how many hats did you make this week to help how many house elves?
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    I still like Chocolate Frogs just because, like Mindy said, they remind me of the kids socializing and stuff like that. But I could go with SPEW. Guess it's kind of like - how many hats did you make this week to help how many house elves?

That's more what I'm going for. I'm not really meaning to turn you all into social butterflies.

We've had a lot of people drop over these few months because they felt overwhelmed with their lack of progress or felt like they were holding us back as a House, and I don't want anyone to feel like that from a lack of motivation and encouragement. I'm not saying you guys aren't motivating, but maybe we could help each other out more. Does that make sense?

I don't want to say the Chocolate Frog idea is bad, it just doesn't exactly describe what I'm aiming for.
  • veganbaum
    Options

That's more what I'm going for. I'm not really meaning to turn you all into social butterflies.

We've had a lot of people drop over these few months because they felt overwhelmed with their lack of progress or felt like they were holding us back as a House, and I don't want anyone to feel like that from a lack of motivation and encouragement. I'm not saying you guys aren't motivating, but maybe we could help each other out more. Does that make sense?

I don't want to say the Chocolate Frog idea is bad, it just doesn't exactly describe what I'm aiming for.

I get it. Gryffs pretty much just check in and that's it. (But I still like Chocolate Frogs, dammit! lol). The reasons you mentioned are part of the reason I haven't really participated the past month, added to my crazy school schedule. I think the inter House challenge adds some pressure, because if you don't have a lot of House points that brings our average down, which I know I didn't want to do, whereas our own intra-House challenge is kind of just against ourselves and our own goals. I don't know what future plans are, but I wonder if it would be better to have inter-house challenges every other month rather than every month or something. I think encouraging more interaction is good, that way we become more familiar with each other and our goals and can encourage when people need it rather than just checking in as individuals and leaving.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I find it humorous that we're discussing which Harry Potter reference best fits this new goal. Other people would probably be like - what the hell are you talking about?!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    I find it humorous that we're discussing which Harry Potter reference best fits this new goal. Other people would probably be like - what the hell are you talking about?!

That's so true!

I really don't want people to be discouraged from participating regardless of how well they did a certain week. I would be more than fine, and I encourage you, to set yourself some goals and work on competing with yourself if that's what motivates you best. There are some that want/need that push to beat the other Houses, but I don't ever sit around judging those that have less House Points or gained one week.

If you improved from one week to the next, I could care less what the score reflects, because eventually we'll have improved so much the score will show it! Baby steps.

I just want this to be a place where we can all find something that motivates us to get to our goals, you know? And be geeky. :)
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I just want this to be a place where we can all find something that motivates us to get to our goals, you know? And be geeky. :)
    You make me feel right at home. :smile:

I did feel I'd rather let the side down, which is my reason for stopping posting for a while, thanks for not being cross with me for abandoning the group just because I put a couple of pounds on (which I've since lost 1.5lb of btw). Won't be losing much more weight now, but do want to shift that very last two and a half pounds and reach my target, so I'll keep that as my goal even if it means I'll be holding the rest of the group back.

With a calorie defecit of only about 200 calories a day without exercise, it's not going to be easy to lose on the run up to Christmas, as one meal out is enough to wipe out a week's hard work, but I'm going to try hard to exercise extra if I overeat. There are several works Christmas lunchtime meals that are three courses, I've made the healthiest possible choices (still not what I'd call healthy by any means) and intend to eat only half a portion of the starters and desserts, and try and leave a good chunk of the main course.

Wish me luck!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I just changed my goal to .5 lb/wk. I have about 20-25 lbs left to lose, unfortunately I gained a couple the past few weeks. Hoping that will come off. I decided to see if the smaller deficit would help with the loss, since a lot of people seem to need to go to a smaller deficit even at 20 pounds rather than something like 10. It upped my calories by about 200 which is kind of crazy, but I hope it works. I may try my calorie goal as set at between my 1lb goal and this .5 lb goal and see what happens.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I may try my calorie goal as set at between my 1lb goal and this .5 lb goal and see what happens.
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you. :smile: