Gryffindor Common Room

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    CW: 181
    Owls: I admit, no exercise this week. Last week of classes, now into two weeks of finals.
    Newts: 30
    HPs: 0
    Spew: 5? Not really sure how to count these. I know encouraging stuff or sharing/just checking in. Not sure about just responding to stuff? So I think 5 is fair.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Helping Bron out this week with the weekly challenge

(Starting after check-in between 12/2 - 12/5
    and ending with check-in between 12/9 - 12/12) i hope i got the dates right (sorry if i didnt)

OWLS: 1 LEG SQUATS... 1 RIGHT 1 LEFT = 1 REP. 1 POINT FOR EACH REP YOU DO WITH NO LIMIT
    here is a link to tell you how to do them: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/exercises/ab-exercises/?page=1

NEWTS: keep your sugar intake in check. try not to go over your MFP sugar goal. for each day you stay under or meet it perfectly you get 5 newt points (35 total for the week)

have fun and good luck everyone I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

I wish we could add more columns than we currently have in our food diaries. I don't track sugar, I added in iron and calcium, but I can change it for this week. It would just be nice to have a couple more columns.
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    check-in
    Weight: 218.8
    HP: 30
    Newts: 0
    OWLS: 0
  • swiviol
    swiviol Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello. I would like to join Gryffindor! How do I get "sorted'? :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    OWLS: 1 LEG SQUATS... 1 RIGHT 1 LEFT = 1 REP. 1 POINT FOR EACH REP YOU DO WITH NO LIMIT
    According to Bronwenhilary's blog we're now trying out a different scoring mechanism, I think it's much fairer than a no limit challenge because it allows people of different levels of fitness to challenge themselves, so I hope it works out. :smile:
    Bronwenhilary
    **For OWLs: Set yourself a daily goal of how many of the exercise you're going to aim to do. You earn 5 OWLs for meeting/exceeding your goal, 3 OWLs if you make it halfway to your goal, and 1 OWL if you try to do some but don't make it at least halfway to your goal.

This is also posted by Bron on page two. So I think that's what we're going for now? Rather than just unlimited reps, setting our own goals to challenge ourselves while leveling the playing field a bit.
    That's what I thought, thanks for checking - I've been a bit scattered lately and could have quite easily got it wrong! :bigsmile:
  • TourThePast
    Options
    So not looking forward to NEWTS this week! I eat a lot of friut and veggies and that always blows my sugar over the goal, which in my opinion is really lame. That being said, I'll do my best.
    Yes it's a proportion of you calories so as my daily calorie allowance is low, as I eat fruit (or even root vegetables) it's almost impossible for me to stay under the sugar goals set on here.

I generally try not to go over, but if it's fruit that puts me over it's not something I view as a problem at all. I joined with the goal of getting fit and healthy as well as to lose weight, and very few people get fat by eating too much fruit. Far as I'm concerned I still don't eat enough fruit and veg, so I'm not going to restrict myself from eating fruit.

It is a useful challenge though, to try and keep it under the limit makes you aware of how much sugars there are in other foods too. Including vegetables. Don't talk to me about parsnips...
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Hello. I would like to join Gryffindor! How do I get "sorted'? :)
    I'm replying because our Head of House (Bronwenhilary) is a bit tied up with stuff right now. Sorting ended in April, but now the initial challenge is over, anyone is welcome to join if they feel that they are a true Gryffindor at heart.

Post your starting weight and start working on this week's challenges.

To find them you usually go to Bronwenhilary's blog at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary have a look at that and read the last few pages of this thread and it will give you a good idea what we're about, but just for this week's challenges scroll up from your post to where Kelsue35 has posted them for this week.

We usually post a goal weight too, but I'm not sure what the date is for that, maybe another member can help. I need to do another goal weight for myself as the last one's passed.

Oh, and welcome to Gryffindor! :bigsmile:
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Gaah... Sorry I forgot to include my 230 minutes of exercise for my house points for this week

HP 230
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    CW: 153.6 (as of yesterday....down .2lbs! At least its moving!!)
    OWLS/NEWTS:0
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    CW: 286.2 (Down 0.8 from last week)
    HP: 105
    NEWTS: 25
    OWLS: 0
    SPEW: 0
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hi Gryffs -- I've been pretty non-existent in the forums and the common room this week. Life has been crazy, to say the very least (my brother was visiting from out of state, my car had to have some major repairs, my basement flooded for about the 6th time, and it's finals week...) I promise to be more active starting tomorrow! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday so far!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    According to Bronwenhilary's blog we're now trying out a different scoring mechanism, I think it's much fairer than a no limit challenge because it allows people of different levels of fitness to challenge themselves, so I hope it works out. :smile:
    Bronwenhilary
    **For OWLs: Set yourself a daily goal of how many of the exercise you're going to aim to do. You earn 5 OWLs for meeting/exceeding your goal, 3 OWLs if you make it halfway to your goal, and 1 OWL if you try to do some but don't make it at least halfway to your goal.

This is also posted by Bron on page two. So I think that's what we're going for now? Rather than just unlimited reps, setting our own goals to challenge ourselves while leveling the playing field a bit.
    That's what I thought, thanks for checking - I've been a bit scattered lately and could have quite easily got it wrong! :bigsmile:

sorry guys had a rough week and forgot totally about the no more unlimited owls. so go with what bron said not my unlimited nonsense

sorry again!!!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    st (8-1) w 33 h 35 b 37
    10/1 goal: w 28/30 h 30/32 b 34/36
    10/31 goal: same as 10/1 but with my booty being what it is now
    11/30: staying the same as i am now, burning calories not losing lbs or inches

8-8 to 8-22 same as start
    8-29 w 32 h 35 b 361/2
    9-4 w 311/2 h 341/2 b 36
    9-12 w 31 h 34 b 36
    9-19 w 30 h 32 b 34
    9-26 w 30 h 32 b 331/2
    10-2 w 29 3/4 h 32 b 33
    10-9 w 29 1/4 h 32 b 32
    10-17 w 28 1/4 h 31 b 32
    10-23 w 28 h 31 b 31 1/2
    10-30 w 28 h 31 b 31 1/2
    11-7 nothing different (i blame TOM)
    11-14 w 28 h 30.5 b 31
    11-21 no change
    11-28 again no change
    12-5 no change once again... i think i have hit a plateau

cals burned goal between 6000 and 7500
    cals: 6523

owls: 35
    newts: 30
    hp: 910
    spew: 4
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Bronwenhilary

sorry guys had a rough week and forgot totally about the no more unlimited owls. so go with what bron said not my unlimited nonsense

sorry again!!!

No need for sorry! We were just trying to double check on the change. I'm sure it'll take a couple weeks for all of us to get used to that and SPEW. Thanks for doing the challenges for Bron!
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    No longer having a problem staying under my sugar level, even with all my fruit and veggies. Once I work out my sugar allowance increases putting me well under. Yay for cardio. Total roll reversal from last week where I would have reached my protein goal for the day, but as soon as I worked out I was way under. You win some you lose some I guess.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I meant for the SPEW to be every post you make BESIDES a check-in post (where you post your stats for the week), up to 5 a day. So if you post 12 times in one day, you only count five SPEW points. If the next day you post 3, you have 8 points so far for the week. Does that help clarify? You guys have the right idea, tho! I'm so proud!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Blah. Studying for finals. I think my head is going to explode. All I want is for my running stuff to come in so I can start C25K! But even when it comes in (this week), I will probably hold off until I am finished with finals. Then, it's time to set a schedule that will work with my classes next semester.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Blah. Studying for finals. I think my head is going to explode. All I want is for my running stuff to come in so I can start C25K!even when it comes in (this week), I will probably hold off until I am finished with finals.
    Starting the C25K might be a great way to destress while you're studying, give it some thought. :smile:
  • j_hark1022
    j_hark1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Blah. Studying for finals. I think my head is going to explode. All I want is for my running stuff to come in so I can start C25K! But even when it comes in (this week), I will probably hold off until I am finished with finals. Then, it's time to set a schedule that will work with my classes next semester.

I hear ya! Finals suck! I kinda started trying to get into shape in the middle or the semester, so I never really had a set schedule to work around them, I'm really looking forward to getting into a routine. AND my boyfriend has agreed to start working out with me next year, I'm a little grumpy about the fact that he insists on waiting until 2012, little stinker, but whatever, I think it'll be good motivation!

Since I'm probably gonna be blowing off most exercise in favor of sleep, and snacks are a study essential, I was wondering if anybody had some fun snack ideas instead of the typical fruits/veggies/nuts/etc. Don't get me wrong, I love all that, but I wanna feel like I'm getting a treat for putting so much effort into studying!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Blah. Studying for finals. I think my head is going to explode. All I want is for my running stuff to come in so I can start C25K!even when it comes in (this week), I will probably hold off until I am finished with finals.
    Starting the C25K might be a great way to destress while you're studying, give it some thought. :smile:

I know, I've been thinking about it. But I have a final tomorrow and two next week and my final paper due next week as well, so I'm putting in a ridiculous number of hours, that are needed. I walk my dog every day, so I do get out. But I'm in law school, and even "normal" studying time is a crusher, finals are about 100 times that - for some classes our entire grade is based off of that one test - so, there's not really a way to destress at law school finals time! At least I get out with my dog.