Gryffindor Common Room

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Blah. Studying for finals. I think my head is going to explode. All I want is for my running stuff to come in so I can start C25K! But even when it comes in (this week), I will probably hold off until I am finished with finals. Then, it's time to set a schedule that will work with my classes next semester.

I hear ya! Finals suck! I kinda started trying to get into shape in the middle or the semester, so I never really had a set schedule to work around them, I'm really looking forward to getting into a routine. AND my boyfriend has agreed to start working out with me next year, I'm a little grumpy about the fact that he insists on waiting until 2012, little stinker, but whatever, I think it'll be good motivation!

Since I'm probably gonna be blowing off most exercise in favor of sleep, and snacks are a study essential, I was wondering if anybody had some fun snack ideas instead of the typical fruits/veggies/nuts/etc. Don't get me wrong, I love all that, but I wanna feel like I'm getting a treat for putting so much effort into studying!

I prefer to <try> to avoid snacking while I'm studying, because the calories can rack up so easily. I just try to stay on schedule with good meals. I did make a little mix of dried cherries, dark chocolates, and nuts, though. I have a bit of that each day. My roommate and I go to our favorite restaurant when finals are over, so that's our treat for getting through it! Especially since as students we don't go out to eat often because of finances.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I have some news to share... Today I reached TARGET WEIGHT.

Been in a daze all day, can't quite believe it... :glasses:

I've gone from 145lb to 119lb, which doesn't sound much but I'm only 4' 11, so that's going from a start point which is a couple of pounds away from being clinically obese, to being well within the normal weight for my height.

Thanks to ALL my fellow Gryffindors who helped motivate me, you're the very best. :flowerforyou:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

I've gone from 145lb to 119lb, which doesn't sound much but I'm only 4' 11, so that's going from a start point which is a couple of pounds away from being clinically obese, to being well within the normal weight for my height.

Thanks to ALL my fellow Gryffindors who helped motivate me, you're the very best. :flowerforyou:

I'm so stinking proud of you, Hayley! It must be an amazing feeling, and I can't wait to be there with you! Great work, girl!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I'm so stinking proud of you, Hayley! It must be an amazing feeling, and I can't wait to be there with you! Great work, girl!
    Thank you SO much, it means a lot to me. :blushing:

I'm still rather stunned, I lost 2lb in a short period and it's rather unexpected, only a few days ago I was angsting over whether I should make Christmas Day or New Year's Day my target date...

But if I can do it, anyone can!

GO GRYFFINDOR!!!!

(and especially GO our amazing Head of House)
  • j_hark1022
    j_hark1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I prefer to <try> to avoid snacking while I'm studying, because the calories can rack up so easily. I just try to stay on schedule with good meals. I did make a little mix of dried cherries, dark chocolates, and nuts, though. I have a bit of that each day. My roommate and I go to our favorite restaurant when finals are over, so that's our treat for getting through it! Especially since as students we don't go out to eat often because of finances.

Yeah, I know it's not really a good idea, I just have really bad study habits. I have ADD and my new doctor has refused to prescribe the medication that my pediatrician used to give me, so if I get up, I will literally find some way to put studying off for HOURS instead of a quick 30 minute break! It's a curse. I've found that, at least for finals time, it's just easier to have a few snacks around. This is the first time I'm trying to really watch everything I eat, though, so I'm trying to be more conscious of what I eat and when versus just nonstop munching.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Congratulations!!! That is wonderful news! Thanks for inspiring those of us that are still on the journey.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

That's awesome! You must feel amazing!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options

Aw, shucks! Thanks :)
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,725 Member
    Options

OWLS: 1 LEG SQUATS... 1 RIGHT 1 LEFT = 1 REP. 1 POINT FOR EACH REP YOU DO WITH NO LIMIT
    here is a link to tell you how to do them: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/exercises/ab-exercises/?page=1

NEWTS: keep your sugar intake in check. try not to go over your MFP sugar goal. for each day you stay under or meet it perfectly you get 5 newt points (35 total for the week)

have fun and good luck everyone I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Here you go starjam25, good luck!!

Thanks so much! Leg Squats here I come :-)
  • starjam25
    Options

Aw, shucks! Thanks :)

Your Awesome! Thanks to you for all you do for us!! :heart:
  • jls1661
    jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have now posted this in my other group and on my wall, but I'm so excited I'm posting it again!!! Had a totally awesome NSV today. I had a bunch of old clothes packed away, most because they were too small. I decided to pull them out since my clothes are falling off of me. While doing so I found an old red dress that used to be my favorite dress, but I haven't been able to fit into it in over 10 years. To the point that if I would have tried I would have ripped it to shreds. Decided to give it a shot and it fit prefectly! I couldn't believe it, and it doesn't look out of date it looks great. This is even better than buying a new dress!!! Just had to share!!
  • starjam25
    Options
    Ok, so I have now posted this in my other group and on my wall, but I'm so excited I'm posting it again!!! Had a totally awesome NSV today. I had a bunch of old clothes packed away, most because they were too small. I decided to pull them out since my clothes are falling off of me. While doing so I found an old red dress that used to be my favorite dress, but I haven't been able to fit into it in over 10 years. To the point that if I would have tried I would have ripped it to shreds. Decided to give it a shot and it fit prefectly! I couldn't believe it, and it doesn't look out of date it looks great. This is even better than buying a new dress!!! Just had to share!!

That is absolutely wonderful!! I think it's stories like this that make this "battle" worth while! Congratulations!! :flowerforyou:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    So not looking forward to NEWTS this week! I eat a lot of friut and veggies and that always blows my sugar over the goal, which in my opinion is really lame. That being said, I'll do my best.

Me too. I don't think I'll be getting many points on this challenge for the week. That being said...I plan to rack 'em up here and doing lunges!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

This is awesome! I can't wait to join you in Target Weight Land. It must be a lovely feeling. Keep rockin' it!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement, I'm still in a bit of a daze!

Haven't posted any photos of myself on here yet, but if I can get someone to take a half decent one of me, I might do a before / after thread.
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am having a really bad day food-wise, I am soo mad at myself! Everytime I start to do really well at keeping up with my eating habits, I go and screw up! I exercise 6 days a week, so I think that is what is saving me from gaining all my weight back.. I have a problem with "binge" eating. I feel like my stomach is a bottomless pit! I could eat and eat and eat. Then when I finally stop, I can tell I ate WAY too much and feel uncomfortably full. I don't know why I keep doing this?! I am breastfeeding and I know that can make me hungrier, but this is ridiculous! And I don't know if I am using that as an excuse. Sometimes I feel like my mind just wants me to be fat! It's frustrating. I guess I feel really bad about it today because I was supposed to go to my kickboxing class tonight and I ended up hurting my hand at work so I can't go, but I way overate at dinner so I feel nasty right now. I think I might try and do a workout video at home. Sorry for the long vent.
  • Honeybee511
    Options

Congrats! That is awesome!!!
  • Honeybee511
    Options

Congratulations! Great Job!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    I am having a really bad day food-wise, I am soo mad at myself! Everytime I start to do really well at keeping up with my eating habits, I go and screw up! I exercise 6 days a week, so I think that is what is saving me from gaining all my weight back.. I have a problem with "binge" eating. I feel like my stomach is a bottomless pit! I could eat and eat and eat. Then when I finally stop, I can tell I ate WAY too much and feel uncomfortably full. I don't know why I keep doing this?! I am breastfeeding and I know that can make me hungrier, but this is ridiculous! And I don't know if I am using that as an excuse. Sometimes I feel like my mind just wants me to be fat! It's frustrating. I guess I feel really bad about it today because I was supposed to go to my kickboxing class tonight and I ended up hurting my hand at work so I can't go, but I way overate at dinner so I feel nasty right now. I think I might try and do a workout video at home. Sorry for the long vent.

Please don't be sorry, that's what we're here for! I have this same problem. I know I could keep eating, but the good part is you're learning that you'll be miserable when you're too full. Try to hang onto that and stop yourself. Or force yourself to eat lots of good things before you eat a measured out amount of what you really want to eat. It will feel more satisfying because your stomach is already partly full of healthy stuff. It's definitely hard. At some point you just have to build up little good habits until they turn into a healthy life. I'm definitely there with you in the middle of that process, but with some planning, I can tell you it gets easier!
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

dont beat yourself up! we all have bad days either food or exercise (hell even bad hair days lol) it doesnt matter. its just one day even if its a bad day here or there its still just one day! just pick yourself up dust yourself off and start anew tomorrow. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

i am proud of you for all the good days you have!!!