Welcome RN's! Introduce yourselves!

Options
Hello Fellow RN's!

I'm Ice, I've been an RN for nearly 30 years. I'm currently doing the 17 Day Diet, but I support anyone who is working towards living a cleaner, healthier lifestyle!

I love being an RN - I've worked in a variety of settings. My career has been whatever I have needed it to be to fit my family's needs - night shift, weekends-only, Mon-Fri, 16 hour doubles - whatever I needed!

Welcome and let's get fit together!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice

Replies

• humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Becca and I've been an RN for 8 years. I'm currently working in dialysis.

I follow a high fat/moderate protein/low carb diet. Looking forward to this group!
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am Michelle form NJ. I just got restarted with MFP after having fallen off the wagon for 5 months. Feel good to be back! I am currently a pediatric vent nurse working in homecare. I moved to a new area and am looking for something more fulltime. I previously did double weekends (16 hr shifts) and am open to that again... its brutal while you are there, but is truly the best set up for a single mom! Wishing the rest of you nurses out there the best of luck on this journey! -Michelle
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!:-) I have been an RN for 6 1/2 yrs now. Started out with med surg nursing then left that to be a supervisor for psych in patient unit. Got tired of the stress w/ that and went back to the hospital on 2nd shift to work in the emergency dept. Only worked in ER for 5 mos (not my cup of tea and hated 2nd shift;-) then ended up 3rd shift in labor delivery postpartum and looovvve it-well love it except the night shift hrs. My eating is so screwed up along w sleep but somehow have managed to deal w that for a yr and a half now. I started this website after I had my. 3rd baby this past winter and looovve it. Currently doing p90x with my husband. Good luck everyone!
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Patty. I'm actually a fairly new nurse, only 6 months now :) I work in a Pediatric ICU and I love it so far. I'm having a heck of a time balancing the crazy work schedule with trying to work out/eat healthy. I work 12 hr days/nights and rotate every 2 weeks. It's great to find a group of nurses out here in MFP world who can relate! Looking forward to the group :)
  • karlakk
    karlakk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm Karla, i've been an RN for 19 years, currently an OR supervisor for an eye surgery center. I've done many different types of nursing. I also work rehab on the weekends prn. I'm doing Advocare & curves, zumba. & of course MFP. I'm getting remarried July 2012, so of course that's my incentive is to shed the lbs I gained after my divorce. Hope this is a great group:)
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nursing schedules can be a nightmare. It is good that you can work around your family's schedule but it is so hard on the body to work night shift. I worked nights for years and one of the main reasons I got into dialysis was for the hours. Now I work 4 days a week, 6a - 4p. Love it.
  • Tzipporah90
    Options
    Hi all,
    My name is Tzipporah and I am a nursing student, not yet a nurse.
    Just want all you nurses to realize how incredible you are! Each day you go out to help others and that says alot about you!
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I am a Registered Nurse from Ontario Canada. I've been nursing for 1 year and a half. Presently, I am nursing in Oncology, and although it is very demanding, I do love it! Nursing has been great, but with all the long hours and with having a second job in a Dr's office, I find that I am lacking the time to exercise and cook healthy foods! Hope that we can all support eachother on our weight loss journeys and the struggles we commonly have while working as nurses! Glad I could be part of this group!
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Scot, I've been an RN for 7 years now. I started out in an Emergency Department, but since I was an EMT and Paramedic I decided to go back in the field. They have a program here in PA, where RN's can become certified as PreHospital RN's and that is what I do. I ride in a chase unit and go to the scenes with BLS ambulances and take care of the pt on the way to the hospital. When I started here at MFP I was weighing in around 240, that was back in July/August and now I'm down to 208 on my way to 198 or 195. The weight loss has helped out alot I know longer get tired carrying gear up 4 or 5 flights of stairs, or running to get equipment.
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! I'm Brook and I've been an RN for about 4 years now. I've worked on a medical floor since I became a nurse. I started out on night shift but that just wasn't for me. After 8 months I went to day shift and have been doing 7a to 7p 3 days a week ever since. When I was on nights I found it easier to loose weight because all the restaurants were closed and the cafeteria only had minimal selections. I ended up bringing my lunch every night and was able to loose 30 lbs without even trying in the 8 months that I worked nights. However, when I went to day shift I noticed there is food EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Home care and hospice companies are ALWAYS bringing in candy and doughnuts and I gained so much weight!!! My hospital is right next to a Krispy Kreme so that sucks!!!!!!!!!! That damn hot doughnut sign is on every morning!!!!!!!!
  • rnenola
    Options
    Hi I have been a RN for over 20 years and have had every kind of job from Tele - consult - DON and I am now working computerizing doctors order sets. I love nursing, no other job gives you the fexability that nursing does. Unfortunity we also love to eat standing up and can finish a meal in under 30 sec. lol. :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • lschramm
    lschramm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Liz. I'm an RPN from Ontario, Canada. I've been a nurse for a little over three years and I float all over the hospital. I was never the "skinny" kid in highschool, but not fat by any means. Then, going to nursing school, then starting my first full time job.... they pounds just packed on. I'm very happy to say I've lost nearly 45lbs with mfp, and I recommend it to all my co-workers!
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Caroline. I've been an RN for just a little over a year and I love it! I work with leukemia patients inpatient. Always looking to make new friends, so feel free to add me!
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Christine. I have been a Registered Nurse for 17 years. I am also a Registered Midwife and Public Health Nurse. Best Wishes to you all on your journey to good health. I know for me I need to do this for myself and my health, but also to not feel like a hypocrite when I have to be giving health advice when obviously I am not the picture of health.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Emma ... Been nursing just over 8 years .. I work in ophthalmology and I absolutely love it !! I'm maintaining with MFP now but always happy to support anyone else who's not quite there yet .. :) nice to have a group of fellow nurses on here
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Marie. Technically, I am an LPN working on my Bridge to RN program, but I hope I am welcome.

I'm over 400 pounds and hate the fact that I am a walking contradiction to healthcare. I am currently unemployed and doing school full time. I graduated LPN school April 2010, worked a year on the floor then lost my job at the nursing home.

I started walking in late September and consistenly am making it out the door now at least 3 times a week. I have 2 paths - 1.2 miles and .58 miles depending on my pain levels. I have started logging my food and changing how I cook for myself and the rest of the family (4 kids, husband, alzheimer's mother all under one roof right now).

Any encouragement and ideas on sustainable changes to a busy family lifestyle would be great.

Thanks,
    Marie
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I've been a registered nurse for 23 years. I love the nursing profession and couldn't think of anything that I would rather do for a living. I worked for 13 years as a NICU/PICU nurse and the last 10 years I've been a nurse casemanager at a homecare agency working in pediatrics, medsurg and hospice. The last two years I've been a nurse case manager in hospice and love it.
  • bgerlach22
    Options
    Hello All, My name is Barbara and I am a night nurse on a rehab floor. I am extremely excited to get back on track w/eating healthy and working out. my goal is to lose about 40lbs for sure then continue losing gradually.
  • bgerlach22
    Options
    sounds like you have taken the first step in getting yourself and your family healthy. I would encourage you to just do one extra thing everytime you take your walk. buying 3lb weights and walk with them or even just doing arm exercises while you are walking. We all start somewhere.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am been an RN for 5 years (& took a 2 year break to work in London as a nanny-sooo fun!) in Australia. I work in an acute rehabilitation ward on a fantastic public research hospital. It is the best hospital I have ever worked in, and I use to do agency work and so have worked in heaps.
    I find it easy to lose weight working nights and evening shifts but it's when I work a morning shift and have 5 hours at home before bed that I find it hard not to graze the entire time!
    I have never had any problems fitting in exercise, and walk the 1 mile (1.5kg) walk to and from work everyday but at least 6 days a week do something extra, like body pump, spin, pilates, step or just 30min on the X-trainer or treadmill!
    Good luck to you all!