Training for the Overland Track

Options
Ange_
Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
Im signed up to do the overland track this April. Has anyone here done it before. Appart from generally just trying to loose some weight and build some endurance and strength does anyone have any training/ preparation tips?

Replies

• Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips, but I've just googled it and WOW! I'm putting that on my "To Do" list! That's two tassie things on there - heh!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i too had to google it. looks good.

you could do the training for true mudder (google it you will find it).
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Seriously jealous that looks wonderful!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hey dirtbook! Ive done it, twice! Admitidly, when I was a bit younger and fitter, but it wasnt that bad. The place is so beautiful you dont tend to notice you've been walking for days on end. As long as you are well prepared your fitness wont matter - just take as much as you need, not too much extra and be prepared for the cold. Im a Tassie girl and can honestly tell you Ive seen it snow on the mountains on Christmas Day, and April is also quite a cooler month anyway. Invest in some quality gear which will also help reduce the weight you will need to carry. Enjoy!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hey dirtbook! Ive done it, twice! Admitidly, when I was a bit younger and fitter, but it wasnt that bad. The place is so beautiful you dont tend to notice you've been walking for days on end. As long as you are well prepared your fitness wont matter - just take as much as you need, not too much extra and be prepared for the cold. Im a Tassie girl and can honestly tell you Ive seen it snow on the mountains on Christmas Day, and April is also quite a cooler month anyway. Invest in some quality gear which will also help reduce the weight you will need to carry. Enjoy!

I agree. Anyone with a reasonable level of fitness will be fine, but whatever you can do to minimise weight will really pay off. You dont need changes of clothes, just the layers for warmth, maybe a luxury pair of dry socks.

If you want to bag some peaks, do the side trips, you will need to prepare, I think. Strong legs, good wind and fun companions. In my experience a group chanting Barn Bluff, Barn Bluff was a great motivation. What a bunch of dags.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have just read that back and I feel the need to clarify. By fitness I mean heart lung capacity, and by minimising weight I mean what is in your backpack.