Run/Walk calorie burn

Options
sonyachan
sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
Hi everyone! I'm in my second week of C25K and was blown away by a 3.5 # weight loss this week! :) What I am trying to figure out is how to accurately log my calories burned on MFP. I have been putting in the total minutes of jogging and the total minutes of walking. However, I know that doing high intensity intervals burns more calories than just running or just walking. I was wondering if anyone else has found a way to more accurately calculate the calories burned? Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely thrilled with 3.5 pounds down, but I don't think it's healthy and I want to eat well if I'm burning that many calories! Thanks and happy running! :)

Replies

• ABetterBalance
    Options
    Congrats on your loss this past week!

I use dailymile.com to track my mileage, and I put my total time and distance in there. It gives me my average pace and I use that number to log the entire workout. For example: I walk a 15 minutes mile and run an 8-9 minute mile. It averages out to about a 12 minute mile overall, so I log 25 minutes jogging, 5mph pace. Hope that helps!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I logged my minutes walked and minutes run when I first did C25K. Now I'm a lot lazier about it, so I just go by average pace overall.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I separate out the minutes as well.
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been confused about how to log this too. I've just logged it as running and then entered the number of calories registered on the treadmill.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Looks like I should just keep on the way I'm doing it. I added some extra calories to my daily goal too, to make sure I'm eating enough. :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I wear an HRM - a normal burn for me for one of the early weeks so far is about 200-250 calories.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    I also use a HRM.... and am mostly burning around 400-450 for around 45 minutes (I keep going to 5k on the treadmill)