Progesterone cream

Options
Anyone else using this and finding it helpful? I won't do HRT so this is one route that I'm taking.

Replies

• kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Would using this cause periods to return. I do not want to do anything hormone wise that would cause them to come back! I'm glad they are gone!! LOL!
  • Wallaby2
    Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi. Progesterone cream won't bring a period back or cause ovulation, but it will bring your estrogen levels down when they are high. I think it's the high estrogen that causes hot flushes, so the progesterone cream helps. I have started using it but I'm not sure if it's helping.......time will tell.
  • Wallaby2
    Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    P.S. My period has been missing for 3 months and I'd love it back. I feel really heavy when I don't get it & weight loss seems more difficult to attain.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    P.S. My period has been missing for 3 months and I'd love it back. I feel really heavy when I don't get it & weight loss seems more difficult to attain.

It's a catch-22, isn't it? I feel the same way when I haven't had my period. Seems that this 2nd month of cream has reduced the length of hot flashes. It takes a few months to take effect, I'm pretty sure.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have my annual on the 30th and I'm anxious to know what my new doctor has to say about this!
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy Oct 2011, I still have one ovary though. It didn't take long for menapause to set in. Does anyone know what to use? I've heard so many different suggestions on to use or not to use different creams with estrogen or progesterone creams. Hot flashes more and it seems that I have been very fatigued lately. My Dr did put me on Estrodil, but I stopped only after a few days as I had really bad side affects. My Dr told me to give it a few days off then start it back up again and see what happens, but I didn't want to take any chances. I 'd love some suggestions! Thank you!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Hi. Progesterone cream won't bring a period back or cause ovulation, but it will bring your estrogen levels down when they are high. I think it's the high estrogen that causes hot flushes, so the progesterone cream helps. I have started using it but I'm not sure if it's helping.......time will tell.

Progesterone does not lower estrogen levels, it merely balances the estrogen and prevents estrogen dominance.

This OB/GYN's books were recommended to me by a menopausal friend who didn't want to take any chemical HRT but went the natural route instead.
    He has some very interesting information that you may find helpful.

https://www.uzzireissmd.com/book_naturalhormone.html
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm going through my very first episode of a substantial time w/o a period. I called my doctor and was told during peri-menopause it's not wise to go more than 3 months w/o menstruating and I could be given some progesterone to get things started after 2 months of not having a period.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm going through my very first episode of a substantial time w/o a period. I called my doctor and was told during peri-menopause it's not wise to go more than 3 months w/o menstruating and I could be given some progesterone to get things started after 2 months of not having a period.
    Hmm. Isn't that kind of the nature of peri-menopause? That the period comes and goes?
    I have gone several months at a time without. My doc seems to think it's the natural course of things.

I AM using bioidentical "natural" progesterone cream. That has not caused my periods to regularize, but has helped the other symptoms.

What sort of progesterone does he want to give you? I'm betting it's a synthetic form, a progestin. Which isn't really the same thing as the progesterone cream being discussed here.

For me, personally, the progestins make things worse.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Hmm. Isn't that kind of the nature of peri-menopause? That the period comes and goes?
    I have gone several months at a time without. My doc seems to think it's the natural course of things.

I AM using bioidentical "natural" progesterone cream. That has not caused my periods to regularize, but has helped the other symptoms.

What sort of progesterone does he want to give you? I'm betting it's a synthetic form, a progestin. Which isn't really the same thing as the progesterone cream being discussed here.

For me, personally, the progestins make things worse.

I agree with Sabine on both points.
    Our periods come and go until they stop all together, that is just the nature of peri-menopause.
    Synthetic hormones are unnatural chemicals and IMHO, not good for your body.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options

this sounds strange. What will happen if you go more than 3 months without a period? How do you know you're not in full blown, as opposed to peri- menopause?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

this sounds strange. What will happen if you go more than 3 months without a period? How do you know you're not in full blown, as opposed to peri- menopause?
    Right. My understanding is: If you go three or more months? You'll keep going through this process.
    If your period ceases for over a year, it generally means you've "gone through" menopause.
    I think of it this way: peri-menopause is process, menopause is the result of that process.
    It's weird because puberty is a process that results in adult hood.
    Peri-menopause just results in "after menopause".

MY comes and goes after 3 or 4 months for a while, then comes every 15-17 days for a while, then waits a few months...
    Each time I skip a couple of months I hope that was the last one.

When you DONT get one, you don't produce any progesterone, you only have (declining) estrogen. That's why I'm using the natural progesterone. To ease the symptoms of the un-opposed estrogen.
    During this process your estrogen will swing, but decline, your progesterone will pop in from time to time, and decline.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    So, are you like me and have little bags of "supplies" everywhere, my car, my locker at work, my gym bag, hubby's truck, the camper, the beach bag etc. etc. "just in case"... :grumble:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    So, are you like me and have little bags of "supplies" everywhere, my car, my locker at work, my gym bag, hubby's truck, the camper, the beach bag etc. etc. "just in case"... :grumble:
    Lord yes.