Tell Your Story!!

Options
amybell68
amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
Here is my story.....

I am 43 years old, I have been married for 22 years and have one beautiful 11 year old daughter, I am loosing weight for my health and to set a good example for my daughter!!

Starting Weight 10-31-2011 **212** (my highest weight ever!!)

Current Weight 11-9-11 **206**
Current Weight 12-4-11 *199**

Christmas Goal 12-25-11 **190**

Valentines Goal 2-14-12 **175**

Easter Goal 4-8-12 **160**

Independence Day 7-4-12 **125** ( My FAVORITE HOLIDAY always spent at the beach, this time I WILL be at my goal weight!!!)

Calories 1250

Exercise: Right now I am walking/Jogging I'm going to try and do 5 miles a day.

I'm not neccesarly new to MFP I started in January this year and did really well! I lost 10 pounds and was exercising at the gym every day I was on my way, then life changed and money was an issue and I had to quit the gym and it was all down hill after that!! Now 7 months later here I am again, really very determined to loose this weight and get healthy once and for all!!

The thing that put this into motion once again is my Doctor, she wanted to put me on cholestoral medicine!! and it scared the crap out of me, so instead of saying okay put me on the med's I said, let me think about it.....she looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to tell me all the dangers of not taking this medicine!!

I left the office and came home and really didn't give it much thought!! Until a couple of weeks later when my Doctor acctually called me!!!! This had never happened before, I really could not believe it, and she told me that I really needed to think about taking the med's I kind of was scared then, thinking maybe this high cholesteral thing was more serious than I thought. So I asked her is there ANY way I could lower it with out taking meds, and she gave me the "loose weight and exercise" answer....okay I told her I would do that, so she said to try it and made an appointment for me 2 months later.

I talked to a few people, one being my mom, who should have been a doctor in my opionion she know's everything!!! and she said eat oatmeal everyday and take fish oil pills and eat more fish and tuna...OMEGA 3's....so that's what I did every day!!!! I didn't exercise, but I did try to eat better!!

So the day of the appointment was getting close and I was sure I would have to go on the med's so I just resigned myself to the fact that cholesteral medicine was in my future!! I went to the appointment and told her I was ready give it to me!! I give!!!! She asked me a ton of questions and looked at my test results so she could compare them to the previous ones and she looked at me as said, "I'm not going to put you on med's" I was like WHAT?????? She told me that my numbers were down ALLOT!!! and that if I keep doing what I had been doing, in addition to a few other things that she saw no need to put me on them at this time!! I was THRILLED!!! and so proud of myself I could not believe it!!

So after that I came home and thought If I can do that on my own I know I can loose this weight too!! I have lost 5 pounds since that day and I have a long way to go, I want to loose another 80 pounds but I have determination!! And I have a follow up in January with my doctor, so I want to blow her away with all this weight that I (will) loose!!!

So that's my story, I also just really want to be healthy I am one of those slow gainers its taken me 22 years to put on this weight, I have gained about 3 to 4 pounds a year and I'm just sick of it!! I want to be healthy for my wonderful husband and beautiful daughter!!! And most of all for myself!!!

Replies

• lannlynn
    lannlynn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 42 years old, been married for 18 years to the most wonderful man in the world and i have have 2 boys (ages 13 and 8). These three keep me on the go most of the time. My husband is full time military.

My story is a little different than most people on MFP. I started losing weight over 5 years ago. I went from 212.5 (my highest ever) to about 185 in a year, doing my own thing. (I've exercised every week since starting.) Over the next 4 years I managed to get down and stay between 160-170. But that still did not put me into the healthy BMI range, I needed to get to 155. In July of this year, I discovered MFP. I am happy to say that I not only past my healty range, I've also passed my original goal of losing 70 pounds!! YEAH!

I've reset my goal to 135, that's 6 pounds from where I am now. But with the holidays coming up, I am a little worried. In past years I always blow it during this time of the year. I am promising myself that it will be different this year, especially since I have MFP.

My next goal will be to tone up! I do a lot of cardio. I just need to add some weight training to it.
  • mrsmorris13
    Options
    Hi! My name is Shannon. I am married to an amazing man that rocks my world! I am 41 and have 2 kiddo by birth(17,18) and 2 step kids(8,9).
    I have been on MFP for several months and dinked around with 5ish lbs. I started at 134, my CW is 127 and my goal weight is 122. I am not overly concerned with my weight, but I am obsessed with being in shape. I workout 4-6 days a week. I lift weights, do kettle bell classes and Zumba. I absolutely love Zumba! I am thinking about getting certified to teach in 2012.

It is true what they say, after 40 it's harder to stay in shape. IMO. But I am on a mission to get healthier and more active each year, from here on out! :) I have FINALLY accepted that I am not 20something and I am never going to to 20something again. So, I up'd my goal weight and started loving my 40 something body. I will be honest and let you all know that I bought some 20 something "twins" about 3 months ago. And, good, bad or indifferent, it has really made me feel great!

I love food, vodka and wine.....these are my downfalls. lol

I love my Hubby, Kids, Family, Friends and job! I am so grateful for my life! I am LOVING my 40s!!!!

Good Luck to all of you!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!
    So glad to find this group
    I am 42 years old, I have two boys but they are grown men now 21 and 23, married to a nice, kind, and loving man also. He was in Army and decided to go back to finish up and retire he is in NG now.

My story is..I have always been chuncky and big boobed as a younger person i was raised in group homes foster homes and you name it there i was put on diet pills by one of my foster moms at the age of 12, the more i was told stop eating the more id eat. I ride my bike for exercise and take my allowance and go get a chicko stick or snickers before going home!! lol I have no clue why,

I got up to 173 pounds at 5 foot tall when i was 21 i had my kids and still fat. I smoked and one day i was afraid of dying out of the blue i was havinn panick attacks. I wanted to be around for my children i would look at ther little bodies and think wow God made this little body he made mine and i have abused it. I started reading alot of fitness advice I did ESPN fitness pros Something clicked it took two years but i lost 70. I kept it off for along time..I recently gained back in 6 years 50 pounds....

I cant stand it i cant beleive i let myself do it. I have worked full time, i joined the military at age of 38 to see if i could i did, but that put on 10 pounds!! Not muscle either. Any way My real mom an i still had a realtionship all through my life She was my life so after i had turned 18 i stayed around her as much as i could and now the past year i took care of her and i gained another 10 pounds it is liek every year i gained more. MOM was a smoker so was i, i quite three months ago... She died of COPD in my home with me with her, She had RA and diabetes. PAD, heart congestive failure, Degeneritive disk dieasese, osteoperosis, any thing you can think of she had... I lost her in Novenber of last year, I miss her so much she was my life... I am exericing not just for me but for her, I still cry everyday for her.

I have taken care of everyone all my life and now it is time to take care of me. Getting back to me..taking off this fat suit, being me again is what my goal is. I want to be healthy and live life with zest. I dont want to spend time in bed like she had to. I run and i cry thinking of how much i miss her, but as the wind blows when i run i can feel the sun shine on my face and if im crying i close my eyes i can feel the sun drying my face i imagine it is her whiping away my tears. I know she is with God she has to be she suffered so much pain all her life, well sorry opps enough of that..

I hope to get to know more people who are having a hard time losing and know what i feel like, this second time around is reallly harder then the first time i lost it!! must be the Age thing.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My story is not original. Same as everyone else. Got married had kids (2), put on weight after child #2, too busy to care for myself. 6 years ago I weighted about 180, got a divorced. Met a man - who should be called metabolism man - that man can eat and not gain a pound, oh and hes 50 - SO NOT FAIR. Put on 35 lbs since we started. Now married and our kids (4) are getting to the point where they are getting driving licenses, jobs, etc... So there is more time for me. Not to mention in May my orthopedic said I have BAD BAD arthritis in my knees with bone spurs and that operations are not the answer. So it took from May-September for me to decided to do anything. Happy to say that I have lost 20 lbs - I have another 60 to go!!!
  • smadrigal04
    Options
    Hello! I am 40 years old and have 3 children...2 boys ages 24 and 20 and a 16 year old daughter. I have been married for 7 1/2 years. My husband is in the Air Force and so is my oldest son. My youngest son attends college, and my daughter is a sophomore in HS.

I have been yo-yoing with my weight ever since I've had kids...I think my heaviest was 200 maybe a bit more. My goal is to be at 145. Right now, I'm at 170, so 25 lbs is my weight loss goal. My husband is leaving in about a month for his deployment, and I'm hoping to be at my goal weight when he comes back next summer!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Hi, 47 year old crazy semi-menopausal lady here.
    Injections, surgeries and lots of doctors has driven me to form the conclusion that they don't know $%^&*.
    Anyway, I look forward to meeting and reading and learning from all of you :flowerforyou:
    Always looking for support, I can be mouthy and opionated but am supportive and non judgemental(although some posters disagree)
    I am a vegetarian although I do cook meat for my husband who is ill. I don't preach the lifestyle but am happy to discuss it.
    Please feel free to friend me, just let me know where you saw me so I can TRY and keep it straight.
    I try to be comment as much as I can but my schedule is really hectic and sometimes I can't, but know I'm in it for the long haul and will be here.
    I have dropped 45 pounds so far, about half way there but still a work in progress.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I hope it's ok if I join this group because I'm 39 but as you know...time flies and soon I'll be 40. So I didn't want to joing a 30's group because I'm almost done with my 30's.
    I'm a mother of 2 and I've been up and down...currently up with my weight.
    Recently I have become a full time student and hope to pass and become a nurse.
    I have seriously fallen off the wagon as far as eating healthy and exercising. For the past 2 months I've been living on sugar. Not sure why, but I'm gathering my will power to get back in gear and lose this extra 30+ lbs I have managed to put back on.
    Anyhow...that's about it.
    Thanks
  • amybell68
    Options
    bitty1taz, I'm glad you joined!! Welcome!!! good luck with going back to school, I really admire you for that!! and good luck with your weight loss, glad to have you here!!!
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My name is Nia I am 46. I have two children and I am married. I was always a thin person and never thought about dieting or had to ever be on one. I have been struggling with my weight since I had my daughter 11 years ago. I had Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant. Then found out I had Gallstones and had my Gallbladder removed. I am currently 150 and 5'2". I would like to lose to feel better and be healthy. Since I started last week I have lost 2 lbs. I know its not much but I'm excited for this journey. I love being able to log my foods and have them calculated. I do work in an office so I don't move around as much as I would like. I did buy myself a pedometer to track my steps. I hope to meet some people and have the support I need to succeed.

Thanks for listening.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So happy to find this group/board! I'm 41, married 14 years and have two boyz (11 & 8). Joined MFP back in July and I'm so glad I did! I've also been on the yo-yo of weight loss/gain over the last 15 years and this past year had had enough! I got so disgusted with myself and decided to change. MFP (the online site and the phone app), all the friends I've made, reading the success stories and the giving/receiving of support have really helped me stick to this! It's amazing to me that total strangers are now my friends!!!! I look forward to logging in everyday, chatting, providing support and cheering everyone on! It's my new Facebook really! It's all about MOTIVATION!!

I began running using the C25K app as a means to get started running properly. I run 2 to 2.5 miles every other day. I also love to do Zumba once per week. It's a great workout! I've been doing Zumba for the last 4 years - actually became an instructor, but I coudn't commit to the time to keep up with the routines. I work full time (40+ hrs/wk) and Zumba practice was taking up my time I was spending with my kids. So something had to give! Forgave myself and moved on.

I've lost a total of 20lbs and it's my goal to lose a total of 42. Almost to the half-way mark - WOO HOO!!! HAPPY DANCING!!! I'm actually looking forward to the next 6 months and will definately stick to what I've been doing to get to my ideal weight! I'm hoping to make some new friends during my journey too! So if you would like to friend me please feel free to do so!

It's all about support and motivation ladies! It keeps you coming back for more! :flowerforyou:
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just weighed in and I am so thrilled I have lost 4 lbs. I would love some friends so if anyone is looking I would love the support!

Nia
  • capergal
    capergal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 last month and I'm not really loving it! lol I was always about 20 pounds overweight growing up. In 2001 I moved to Nunavut to teach for four years and because there is not much to do living in isolation other than eating I ate and I ate a lot. I gained an additional 20 pounds. When my marriage was coming to an end in 2005 I started getting healthy and I reached my goal weight. I kept my goal weight for four years then I met a wonderful man and we enjoy going to restaurants, having bbq's, etc so I started gaining my weight back. I am close to 20 pounds over my goal weight once again and am finding it hard to lose it now that I am 40! i really enjoy MFP and am finding it is working for me. Just hope I can stick with it.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Ernestern
    Ernestern Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here's mine....

I'm 43 years old and have been married for 23 of them. Both kids (21 and 18) are attending college out of state so the house seems quite empty these days which we are still adjusting to.

I retired from the US Army five years back and settled the family down just outside of Memphis TN. Having spent most of my adult life in the military, staying fit was sort of a requirement for my employment, so when I left, I enjoyed my new found freedom of eating what I wanted, sleeping in, and not having to deal with daily five mile runs a little too much. Well, forty pounds later, I decided I didn't like the way I look or feel so I dusted off the running shoes and hit the concrete. I found that I actually missed running.

To keep myself going with my running and weight loss. I've been signing myself up and paying for a race every month. Having spent money on it, I can't very well not show up or it would be a waste of cash. So since I have to show up, I don't want to look foolish so I keep up my training. It is kind of an odd way of keeping myself motivated, but it has been working so far. I ran a 5K in Oct, doing a 4 miler on Thanksgiving, and I'm signed up for another 5k in December. My goal is to do a 5k or better each month, with a 10K by summer, culminating with the St Jude Half Marathon next December.

To date, things have been going well. In the last two months, I've gone from being barely able to knock out a 2.5 mile run at a slow jog (5mph) to runing 4.5 miles almost daily at a slow run (6.5mph) and I've shed right at twenty pounds with twenty to go. Still got a ways to go until I'm back to where I was in the military, but I'm getting there.....

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 years old, married for 18 years, I have 3 sons, 17,14 and 10. I saw a friend using this app back in April. She told me all about it, and next day I logged onto the website and loaded the app on my phone. I fell off the wagon the end of May, but as of today I am on the plan for a solid 145 days!! I was a size 10 when I started this journey and yesterday I discovered I can fit in to a size 4!! The jeans are a little snug, but I am not done yet! I am hoping to make my goal by my birthday in January! 12lbs to go!! Come closer to Christmas I will post before and after photos! I came across a photo taken of me last December, and cannot believe the difference! A few more weeks and I will add them to my profile! ;)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 years old and have been a single mother for the entire 19 years of my daughter's life. Needless to say, my health and fitness took a back burner to everything else, actually, I don't think it was even on the stove, let alone on the back burner. At my heaviest last yaer, I was 258 lbs. When my daughter started the next chapter of her life, college, I realized it was time to put my focus back on me and so I started MFP seriously mid-January of this year.
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jenna - I'm 41. I've been married for 8 months!! I have a daughter (20) who is in college, and my son (17) is a senior in high school.

I teach high school orchestra - I love it! But it puts a real strain on my time. I'm at school for rehearsal by 6 a.m. each day and when I finally leave the building I'm typically headed home to inhale dinner then off to some sort of rehearsal for the rest of the evening. This all means exercise is non-existent which makes this even more difficult. I'm also a primary caretaker for my aging parents - who are mostly self sufficient....well...sorta. I'm guessing some of you may be in the same place in life so you understand.

I've fought my weight for most of my adult life - I'm really stuck right now, cant seem to get control or get my weight moving in a downward fashion.

I'm currently 5'10" and 240 lbs. I'd REALLY like to see 200 again. I'm so impressed with all of you who are making progress - you are awesome!

I'm excited to get to know you all a little as this goes on!

J~
  • amybell68
    Options
    Welcome Jenna, thanks for sharing your story!! I'm glad your here with us fabulous 40's!! feel free to add me if you would like additional support!!
  • filmtrash
    Options
    Hi Everyone - I'm Linda and I'm new to MFP. I am 48 and super frustrated with my weight. I was in the shape of my life when I turned 40 with the help up a full time+ job, kickboxing 3x a week, yoga and Pilates. In the past 4 years I quite my full time job, my husband and I moved to a new state, I work from home and (big surprise) I have packed on the pounds. I love being in my 40's but wish I looked a little better in that bikini!! To get to my goal weight, I have a ways to go. I have been working out 3x a week with a trainer for a year and have lost only 9 pounds. Hormones are reeking havoc and I seem to have that pretty much under control but it's frustrating to not see the weight loss I would like, and I know this is a factor. In addition, I have 2 dogs - one is a flashy brindle boxer. She is starting to look like a sausage for lack of me walking her. My bad! Things need to change.....

So, as frustrated as I am, I am fully committed to this healthy weight loss thing. I understand that I need to boost my exercise and over the past 3 weeks I have been taking steps to do just that. In addition, I promised my beasty girls that they would be getting regular walks again.

Reading all of your stories has been inspiring and I look forward to the day I can share some weight loss victories :)
  • sal22408
    Options
    Hi all :) So glad to find some support! Im 40 years old and have 2 beautiful daughters ages 21 and 13. I gained alot of weight after each pregnancy and struggled to lose the weight. Once i did, i did my best to maintain ...but here i am watching the scale creep up and my jeans getting harder to button up! My husband is in the military, which means we move...ALOT, and hes gone ALOT. This last move threw me into a tailspin. My oldest daughter stayed behind and got married AND i decided to go back to school instead of working. Im not sure what exactly played a big part of my 12lb gain ...but i imagine those 2 reasons (depression and boredom) didnt help. I want so much to nip this in the bud (or butt!) before the 12lbs turns into 20lbs, etc.
    I am so thankful for mfp ...not only for the support from others, but also allowing me to actually keep a diary of the foods im eating. Its so easy to be held accountable when its right there in black and white for me to see whats going on.
    I wish us all Great Success in getting healthy :) ...it aint easy being 40!
  • Sunshine70Smith
    Sunshine70Smith Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 41 yrs old, married with 2 kids, both grown up but living at home. I've just let things slide to the point I got to the 200lb mark and decide that I really need to do something about it. I've tried lots of different programs in the past including having success on Weight Watchers and losing 25lbs. But I gained it all back and more! So I'm dedicated to sticking with this. I joined about a month ago and have lost 7.5 lbs so far.

I look forward to giving and getting support from all of you. Good luck!

Jen