Welcome!!

Options

Replies

• lbowd2
    lbowd2 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi. I'm from Brisbane, Australia and get to see some gorgeous places around this amazing continent. Great Ocean Road, Thorsborne Trail, Jatbula (my absolute favourite), Larapinta (now that one was tough), Green Gully, Coastal track and lots more. Hiked the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal last year....now that was a fantastic hike but a bit cold for a bloke from Australia. I'm a keen photographer, so hiking seemed to be a perfect fit. Just started doing a lot more underwater photography...I guess diving is a bit like an underwater hike. The tanks are about as heavy as a backpack. Mainly use Macpac gear and scarpa full leather boots (they are so damned hard to wear out). Multi-dat hikes are my favs. Just bought myself a nice new MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person tent. Light and sensational tent. Still haven't mastered the extended hiking food thing. My body tolerates it but sure looks forward to getting back home to real food....and how good is that first hot shower after a long 5 day hike through the heat and the mud?
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a man of wealth and taste... Well, not really. But, I am a hiker.

I've always loved the outdoors. I used to do a lot of bicycling. I took up hiking seriously about 5 years ago following my divorce. About three years ago I got involved with an "Over 40" hiking group on Meetup.com that hikes just about every weekend in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The Appalachian Mountain Club maintains a list of 48 recognized peaks of 4,000 foot or more elevation. Anyone who climbs them all is eligible to to join their Four Thousand Footer Club. I had several friends in my Over 40 hiking groups who were working on their "48". Pretty soon I got swept up in all this peak bagging excitement and started working on summiting all 48 peaks. It took me about a year and half. Finally on October 23, 2010, I completed the New Hampshire 4,000 footers when I summited Mt. Lincoln on the Franconia Range.

48.jpg

After completing my NH 4,000 footers, I took what I thought was going to be a brief break from hiking to spend more time with my girlfriend. However, that brief break turned into a 17 month hiatus. I was slowly gaining weight while I was hiking. When I quit hiking the weight gain accelerated. Finally, my girlfriend (an R.N) and my doctor got through to me about the need to loose weight and exercise to prevent bad things from happening to my health.

So, here I am. I've reconnected with my hiking group and am starting to hike again. I am also making big changes to my diet to shed this excess weight and lower my BP. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed hiking with my friends. I'm starting slowly doing beginner and intermediate hikes. We're supposed to hike Mt. Roberts on Sunday. But, right now the weather is not looking too promising.

For anyone who is looking for people to hike with in your area, I highly recommend meetup.com. There are lots of groups offering hikes of all different levels.
  • kristalbentley
    kristalbentley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great to find this group!
    I'm from PA and an AT addict. ;) I also love taking photographs, so seeing your outdoor photos have been inspiring. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to encouraging you and cheering you on in your weight loss journey.
    Let's GO!
  • kristalbentley
    kristalbentley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A hiking moment on the Appalachian Trail in Hamburg, PA.

30921_10150179916300532_7430118_n.jpg
  • CAgirlMolly
    Options
    Hey :) I'm Molly and I live in Northern CA. I love hiking in the redwoods, the mountains, and especially the many beach trails we have around here. I got into hiking because I used to mountain bike, so when I broke my bike and it was out of commission, I decided to hike the same trails I rode on, and I loved it!
  • shellu66
    shellu66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I actually started using MFP to get in shape for hiking. I live in WV near Harpers Ferry so lots of great trails nearby. We vacation in the Adriondacks in NY and I decided last year that I wanted to start taking advantage of all the hiking opportunities up there which lead me to MFP and hiking around here. I love hiking Maryland Heights and the Appalachian Trail. Hoping to do some hikes in Shenandoah National Park this fall. And then one of the high peaks next summer in the Adirondacks. Happy hiking!!
  • GoaliesWife123
    Options
    Hey All! I'm from Michigan and I love backpacking. My wife and I just have terrible luck! We tried to plan a trip to the UP and backpack the pictured rocks trail. We were all set, except that the weather completely changed! We were prepared for most things, but not the weather changing.

At any rate, we are actually heading back North on Thursday for a short 3 day hike. We are both much healthier and more fit, and we are very excited.

I am thrilled to find this group on MFP!!

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • GorgeousNLC
    Options
    Hello,
    I just joined the group. I am from Tennessee also. I have always loved being outdoors. I was introduced to Tremont in the Smoky Mountains last year when I stayed a week with a group of 6th graders. Fell in love with the place and decided to take their Naturalist Certification classes. I have a class in 2 weeks. I was actually there this past weekend for Teacher Escape Weekend. Have lost 13 pounds and it made a difference on the hikes. Looking to lose 45 more before spring when we take the next group of kids.

LaGonda
    Future Naturalist =)
  • pcyoung
    pcyoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just joined the group. Did my first backpacking trip in Sept 2011 to Mt Ranier, WA. A 6 day trip with an outfitter called Fitpacking. In March of this year did a trip with same outfitter to Joshua Tree National Park. Absolutley loved it.
    Have a trip scheduled the first week of November to the Grand Canyon. Will be a Rim to Rim to Rim hike.
    I have lost 80 lbs since Mar 2011. I use the backpaking trips as my motivation for fitness. As we know in bsckpacking, lighter is better.
  • christslady7
    Options
    I'm from Germany, but live in KY. I love hiking and nature. Been to Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Tennessee, upstate NY and many other places for hiking. I love the mountains and would love to live in western Montana, Wyoming or Colorado. Here in KY they only have hills, no mountains! :(
  • angelgirl2272
    angelgirl2272 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love hiking and backpacking. In fact, I decided to lose weight and get fit because I wasn't able to enjoy my hikes due to the extra weight.
  • denisedwrt
    denisedwrt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to MFP! I love hiking and snowshoeing, I can't wait to head to the mountains after a long week! I am from the Seattle area.:smile:
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to MFP! I love hiking and snowshoeing, I can't wait to head to the mountains after a long week! I am from the Seattle area.:smile:

@denisedwrt: Welcome! I'm from the Seattle area too! My SO and I moved here two years ago from the Midwest and have really gotten into hiking. We did some awesome hikes this summer, especially in the North Cascades.
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am from Sullivan County NY right in the middle of the Catskills and just an hour from the AT. I've been hiking here for the last couple of years but because of my weight have been limited to short day hikes. Well now I've lost some weight and I can't wait till spring to start to check out some new boots and poles that I got for Christmas. I've been hiking alone - not alone exactly, my Jack Russel loves the trails too, but would love to connect from other hikers from the area.

Friend me.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi All, so glad to find this group. Just got home from a hike & while it was short - it had a few challenging spots. I live in nw Arkansas & on the weekends I'm either on a hike or on my bike. Trying to get in shape to do the Ozark Highlands Trail this fall (176mi) & for my 60th bday planning on doing the AT. Most of the time I hike alone but had a buddy with me today. Love the great pics everyone!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I went on my first hike of 2013 today! Came home to check on MFP to see what everybody is up to and thought I'd hunt down some fellow hikers. Nice to meet you all.
    Anyway, I'm currently living in NYC. I try to get up into NY state too hike as much as possible.
  • theedge56
    theedge56 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My name is Eric. I live in Georgia. My wife and I hike all over North Georgia Mountains. We really like the waterfalls. We mostly do day hikes due to the commitments at home. She drags my butt all over the woods but does give me something nice to follow. I have been in Saudi Arabia for most of the last 6 months so my hiking has been sparse. I did get a small cave hike in Saudi. My wife and I hiked Kennasaw Mountain switchbacks the day after returning the last time. We did 8 miles tore my heel up it had been so long.

Doing good with the MFP. Always open to friends looking for support or to act as a sounding board. Hope to do alot more hiking and biking in July 2013 when my time in Saudi is done.
  • yankee_grl
    Options
    Hi. My name is Debbie. I live in the Carolinas and hike every chance I get. I love to get a great workout on a day hike doing something that I enjoy so much. Then it doesn't seem like exercise. I also enjoy kayaking. I pretty much enjoy all outdoors activities. Always looking for new places to hike and love to hear about others adventures hiking.
  • tn_bigfoot
    Options
    Hi, My name is Paul and I live in middle Tennessee, I do a lot of day hikes, eventually I want to do several overnight trips. My next big hike is in the smokies in may on Mt. Leconte. Feel free to add me on here and if you would like to meet and hike in th TN, KY, AL, GA, NC, SC, AR region let me know.. Looking for friends that want to hike and help motivate me to loose these last 30 or so lbs.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    32597364.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amc8349
    amc8349 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, my name is Mike, I live in New Hampshire, and hike through out the state. Most of my hikes are in the White Mountains. Leaving the end of Feb 2014 to Springer to Hike the App trail