I want to run

asalembier
asalembier Posts: 124 Member
I used to run when I was a teen, in track etc. Then I stopped. I wanted to do the C25K plan, tried it yesterday, and I hurt so bad from my knees to the top of my feet. Even walking fast hurts. Anything I can do to fix this so that I can run again? Every time I try, I am in so much pain, either on treadmill, or sidewalks. Or am I to give it up forever?

Replies

• cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    I actually also experienced some pretty bad knee pain when I began running at the beginning of my weigh loss. There's a couple of different very basic exercises you can use to help strengthen your knees and all the muscles surrounding them. The reason you get extreme soreness in your shins/calves and knees (assuming you don't have any major knee issues) is simply because you took a long leave from running put on extra weight and now that you're trying to run again your body is in an adjustment period. It isn't used to all the added weight or even the running for that matter. My suggestion here is building blocks that's how I got my running stamina up so high during my weight loss. I believe I began at a 6 or so mph pace just running 3/4 to a full mile a night, by the time I had lost 20+ pounds I was running anywhere around an 8 to 8.5 mph pace for 2 miles or more at a time. One thing I will say is the initial soreness and burning you get in your legs at the beginning of your run DOES get better as you run further that's something I still notice to this day in the beginning it's a bad burning sensation but by the end I feel like I could keep going as long as I needed to. Here's a link to a really basic knee exercise to help strengthen your knees it's so easy and can be done several times a day I actually use it myself when I begin getting a lot of knee pain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7gPajdzje0