What your mother never told you...

Options
shadow3829
shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
I am finding out that there is alot more to this than hot flashes. That has been the a none issue for me. A couple of night sweats occasionally. It is the other things that I have had going on that I am finding out through alot of research can be contributed to the age and hormone decline.

I have never had a panic or anxiety attack before in my life until a couple of years ago. I'm find out that is a pretty common complaint with menopause. It has been a horrible experience for me.

Digestive distress and issues....memory loss...the dry itchy skin....just plan spacey feeling...

My weight has stayed about the same, even after the hysterectomy, the HRT and the antidepressants, but it has all moved to my middle. I looked in the mirror the other day and my waist was GONE!! Although I am maintaining, it is TOUGH! Anything over 1200 calories a day and it starts creeping up. 1200 really isn't much. I can no longer enjoy adult beverages when I want because of the the calories, eating out is no longer fun, I can eat lettuce at home. This is to maintan. :(

What have been the unexpected for you?

Replies

• annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dare I mention it?? The one thing that nobody wants to talk about because it's not polite...but it is driving me even more insane than the itchy skin!!! I'd heard rumors of it years ago but then silence... until it hit me and I hate this. really really hate it.
    I can't be the only one in the world who has noticed a change in body odor. The constant showering might be a contributing factor to the dry skin problem, but I am not giving those up until the odor issue is solved. No matter how much baby powder I use, by lunch time I am starting to become aware of the aroma breaking through the curtain of the baby powder scent. And if I have a hot flash at work then it is all the more noticeable. :S I keep underwear in my desk drawer but there is no way to shower, so I usually find myself avoiding other people in the afternoon so as not to offend anyone. I guess I could change jobs--to something like lumberjack where smell is not an issue, but I'm a bit old for that! ahhahha Not to mention, totally inexperienced. :O

I have searched for info on this topic to no avail. Apparently it doesn't exist! But it's happening to me and a few others who are also told "Maybe it's your sense of smell that is out of order?" I don't think that is the answer. If it were so, then ALL smells would be changing. But fish still smells like fish and baby powder still smells like baby powder. I can tell that there definitely is a difference in me from before the change until now, not just my nose.
  • sweatymary
    Options
    @annarouni ... you're not imagining it you're correct, among the 50+ possible symptoms of the menopause that I am currently researching is a change in body odour, which can become worse as a result of a hot flash! This is something that I am experiencing too :-/ I will be posting my findings soon and this is one of the topics I will be covering x
  • jessashcher
    Options
    ok, this sucks, I thought I was possibly done having periods, it has been over 3 monthes since I had one and woke up this morning to not a happy surprise. My mother never told me anything about menopause because she never had it. She had a full hysterectomy when she was 33 so she said she never had symptoms. Since I have been pre-menopausal I haven't really been having any of the symptoms like hot flashes and stuff, I had it for about 1 week once but that was it. Now I find when I do have my period it is about 10 times worse. Does anyone know how long this goes on for before you end completely? Can't wait to just be done with it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    ok, this sucks, I thought I was possibly done having periods, it has been over 3 monthes since I had one and woke up this morning to not a happy surprise. My mother never told me anything about menopause because she never had it. She had a full hysterectomy when she was 33 so she said she never had symptoms. Since I have been pre-menopausal I haven't really been having any of the symptoms like hot flashes and stuff, I had it for about 1 week once but that was it. Now I find when I do have my period it is about 10 times worse. Does anyone know how long this goes on for before you end completely? Can't wait to just be done with it.

This could be endometriosis. Heavy periods, irregular periods and your mother's previous history makes me think this.

Please see a doctor. If it is endometriosis, it won't get better, only worse.

Go to WebMd or MayoClinic or PubMed to do some research.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I did see a doctor about 2 monthes ago and he said I was pre menopausal. So hopefully he is right.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am finding out that there is alot more to this than hot flashes. That has been the a none issue for me. A couple of night sweats occasionally. It is the other things that I have had going on that I am finding out through alot of research can be contributed to the age and hormone decline.

I have never had a panic or anxiety attack before in my life until a couple of years ago. I'm find out that is a pretty common complaint with menopause. It has been a horrible experience for me.

Digestive distress and issues....memory loss...the dry itchy skin....just plan spacey feeling...

My weight has stayed about the same, even after the hysterectomy, the HRT and the antidepressants, but it has all moved to my middle. I looked in the mirror the other day and my waist was GONE!! Although I am maintaining, it is TOUGH! Anything over 1200 calories a day and it starts creeping up. 1200 really isn't much. I can no longer enjoy adult beverages when I want because of the the calories, eating out is no longer fun, I can eat lettuce at home. This is to maintan. :(

What have been the unexpected for you?

The weight gain bit for me.

I knew about the hot flushes, strange temper etc, but the weight gain took me a bit by surprise.

I had always been able to lose weight easily. I would just put my head down and go for it and voila a few weeks later, I was back at my ideal weight. However, along comes the menopause and suddenly, instead of losing 2lbs every week, the same diet would result in something like a 3oz weightloss. It was horrendous.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize body odor change was a part of menopause.

I'm definitly having more mood swings and an insane INSANE craving for salt. I used to make fun of my mom when she made her late night Chipotle chip runs, I now understand.
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No females in my family have gone through menopause. They all had hysterectomies and then took HRT. Of course, my mom then got breast cancer from the Premarin- so got to go through "the change" cold turkey at age 75. She had hot flashes for a week and was done!
    Not the same for me. I won't take HRT and may consider ablation if needed. I just feel alone. My husband has noooo way of understanding. I've looked for books, but have not found any that are really helpful. The funniest one was written by a man that tried to explain how to get through menopause using biblical principles-- goodness me!
    So I know it can take a few years-- I'm probably 1 1/2 years into it. Hope the time flies~~
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The only problem that my mother had was dryness of the vagina and I can't believe she even told me that! LOL! My biggest issue has been the awful hot flashes. I don't want to take HRT and I'm hoping they become fewer over time! One can only hope!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at menopause from the other side. I'm mid-fifties, went through it at age 41 - and I couldn't be happier.

The freedom and lack of mood swings post-menopause has been wonderful. Of course, some of this comes with age and letting go of the past. But in general, I think it was one of my most positive life-changes so far.

It may be a little harder to lose weight, but it's not impossible. Once you've had to work hard at weight loss, you don't tend to let it creep back up again. There are so many health benefits to being fit, that it is worth any sacrifice.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    No females in my family have gone through menopause. They all had hysterectomies and then took HRT. Of course, my mom then got breast cancer from the Premarin- so got to go through "the change" cold turkey at age 75. She had hot flashes for a week and was done!
    Not the same for me. I won't take HRT and may consider ablation if needed. I just feel alone. My husband has noooo way of understanding. I've looked for books, but have not found any that are really helpful. The funniest one was written by a man that tried to explain how to get through menopause using biblical principles-- goodness me!
    So I know it can take a few years-- I'm probably 1 1/2 years into it. Hope the time flies~~

LOL!

Out of curiosity, what sort of stuff was he spouting?
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options

LOL!

His food section focused on Ezekial 4:9, clean/unclean animals, and Exodus 15:26-- Listen to God's instructions and disease shall pass you by.
    Menopause is not a disease-- it is part of life. There are things we can do and try to feel better during this time, but I really do believe that getting through it as "naturally" as possible will result in the best result. We'll see.... a month from now I might be on low-dose HRT-- or not!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

LOL!

His food section focused on Ezekial 4:9, clean/unclean animals, and Exodus 15:26-- Listen to God's instructions and disease shall pass you by.
    Menopause is not a disease-- it is part of life. There are things we can do and try to feel better during this time, but I really do believe that getting through it as "naturally" as possible will result in the best result. We'll see.... a month from now I might be on low-dose HRT-- or not!

Wow, that's just... wow.