Dr. Oz this Monday

Options
is having a special on losing weight after 40. Please watch. I am taping it and will post his tips.

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I won't be able to see this so am looking forward to your posting of his tips.
  • birches
    Options
    Dr. Oz said that wheat germ is super food for weight loss. Sprinkle on popcorn, add to shakes or smoothies, or, yogurt, or buy capsules or oil.

Also to fight cortisol, rhodiola rosea

I will post Monday's show. The above was on today's, Friday, show
  • SardisGrandma
    Options
    I watched one of his shows lately & decided to start taping him. I made my mind up gonna try his suggestions. So I sat with pen & paper. Then went on amazon & ordered all these supplements. White bean extract, zinc, wheat germ, powdered peanut butter, flax seed magnesium to name a few!!! Now after 3 wks of watching him every day.. I discover every day is more & more supplements that are just " $10 " So now I have a gut buster, ski machine, bicycle, assorted hand weights, trampoline, stair climber, butterfly/leg raises combo machine,on my 3rd treadmill cuz I always sell them then buy another one, rowing machine, ATC membership, curves membership, exercise ball, resistance bands, sweatin to the oldies 1 & 2, jane fonda video, tae bo 1 2 & 3, country line dancing tape, assorted exercise tapes of others I cant remember their names, oh & now Zumba DVD's!!! I've targeted my cortisol, core, abs, thighs & buns, alli, carb away,.... And now I got all these stupid inexpensive of course supplements to add to this collection!! 5 days a wk Dr Oz tells me how I just need to know my numbers & load up on more supplements. I couldnt swallow all this stuff in a 24 hr period! Do I sound fed up?? Yes! None of this junk does squat!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I watched one of his shows lately & decided to start taping him. I made my mind up gonna try his suggestions. So I sat with pen & paper. Then went on amazon & ordered all these supplements. White bean extract, zinc, wheat germ, powdered peanut butter, flax seed magnesium to name a few!!! Now after 3 wks of watching him every day.. I discover every day is more & more supplements that are just " $10 " So now I have a gut buster, ski machine, bicycle, assorted hand weights, trampoline, stair climber, butterfly/leg raises combo machine,on my 3rd treadmill cuz I always sell them then buy another one, rowing machine, ATC membership, curves membership, exercise ball, resistance bands, sweatin to the oldies 1 & 2, jane fonda video, tae bo 1 2 & 3, country line dancing tape, assorted exercise tapes of others I cant remember their names, oh & now Zumba DVD's!!! I've targeted my cortisol, core, abs, thighs & buns, alli, carb away,.... And now I got all these stupid inexpensive of course supplements to add to this collection!! 5 days a wk Dr Oz tells me how I just need to know my numbers & load up on more supplements. I couldnt swallow all this stuff in a 24 hr period! Do I sound fed up?? Yes! None of this junk does squat!

Seriously? :noway:
  • birches
    Options
    "40 Pounds Lighter by Spring". Notes from today's Dr. Oz show

4 hurdles:  1) Metabolism slows down (lose 5% of metabolism per decade), 2) hungrier because our hormones, 3) loss of muscle mass (women lose muscle twice as fast as men); 4) sweet tooth

* sleep is key. Exercise helps us sleep more. Orange light bulb activates melatonin. If we don't sleep well, we crave more carbohydrates. Blue light in morning helps us wake up.

1st secret, super power meals, smarter food choices, higher fiber. Higher protein, whole grain. Whole wheat tortilla for Mexican. Add as many veggies to your meal as you want (gee thanks, lol)  He is suggesting weight watchers.

2nd secret, stay satiated, automate hunger, "souper size as in soup" your day.  First thing after work, grab soup automatically, before dinner. Freeze your hunger, fruit kabobs

3rd secret, build lean muscle back, don't have to join a gym, yoga counts, pass tennis ball under leg for 10 mins (pick leg up, bend at knee, pass ball under, jump rope for 2 mins, walk 6 mins.do figure 8 with jump ropes for two mins, 3 times, pretend you're sitting on toilet, pick tennis ball up. Total of 30 mins per day, 5 days per week.

4th secret, cannot feel deprived, dessert allowance, mixed berry crumble, chocolate banana wontons, Fiber One brownies (90 cals per brownie) smoothies. 
  • birches
    Options
    I take a bunch of supplements too. I take potassium so my muscles don't cramp. The magnesium does help me a lot with headaches. But, I hear you, I have not lost weight due to supplements. I take them for health. I have a treadmill, but I prefer to swim for my cardio. I recently joined a HC and have finally begun to lose weight, 2 pounds. I know that oes not sound like much, but for me that is great, I lost zero weight, despite dieting and exercising for 2 months (SEP/Oct). During the summer June - Aug, I kept gaining and losing the same 5 pounds, I feel your frustration.

I am 45 and perimenopausal. I just ordered wheat germ oil caps, lol, based on Dr. Oz's show. I am 5' 6.5" currently weigh 173. I started at 210 last Feb. Went down to 180 by the end of May, then 175 by the end of June, and then stopped losing weight, gained 5 back and yo yo'd the rest of the summer between 180 and 175. I had my gallbladder out in May. I wonder if that screwed me up. Anyway, I exercise 5-6 days per week at the HC (3 days circuit training, 2-3 days swimming laps for an hour) and try (succeed most of the time but I do cheat occasionally) to keep my calories between 1200-1400 per day. I tend to drink two protein shakes per day, 1 soy based, 90 cal in the morning for breakfast, and designer whey protein after my workout. Somewhere in all if this info might lie the secret of my success, as in 2 pounds that I lost, hoping my engine has re-ignited. I also take lipo6 for her pills, but only 2 per day, not 6. I tried all sorts of diet pills, none have worked, I don't blame the pills, I blame perimenopause. Keeping my fingers crossed, that I have finally started to lose weight again.

Good luck to all of us.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Love wheat germ! i sprinkle it on my cereal :flowerforyou:
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Birches thank you so much for posting the summary of the Dr Öz show- it contained so much great information.
    Debbie
  • birches
    Options
    My pleasure. I hope it helps. I am desperate for good advice about losing weight during perimenopause because the "regular" ways are not working, as in we really are up against it.

Please post any advice you have ladies in terms of what had made a difference for you.