Workout Schedules/Routines

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
OK 20-somethings - We're all on here to take control of our health and fitness, so post your daily workout routine or weekly schedule, or just a killer workout you love and think others should try. I love to hear how others are pushing to better themselves every day.

Remember folks - If you don't toe the edge and push beyond your limits, you will never reach your full potential :bigsmile:

For me, lately, it's spinning. I always push myself one extra minute per set, or one extra turn on the tension dial, before resting. When I think I can't push any longer, i force myself to finish out the song or the set and then rest for a minute and get back to it. I'll set out to do a standing climb set for 3, 4 or 5 minutes but always tack on an extra minute climb at the end. I know I can push and demand my legs to carry me. It's all mental and knowing that my drive and desire to push will always over-ride my physical boundaries is the greatest benefit of living an active, fitness-driven life :bigsmile:

Replies

• iamjenae
    Options
    I wish I could find a place to spin around here. When I was in college, I lost 65# and spinning was my favorite exercise. I have not been able to find a location up here! I have a lot of "workout DVDs" that I never use, but I am trying to get into the routine of doing SOME exercise each day--I just started this leg of my journey again on Monday. I have been packing and lifting boxes--Starting Monday I am going to a weekly Zumba class. I have also considered joining a gym with my dad. It has started to snow here already and I am clumsy so I am not comfortable exercising outside ;)

I will probably change things up after a few weeks and let yall know what is working!
  • Kaytee233
    Kaytee233 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! I also take zumba and hip hop hustle! If you can I totally suggest hip hop hustle! It's sooo much fun. Also check out Amanda Russell on YouTube she has some great quick workouts!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Intend to join a gym as soon as I'm back in employment as I'm a heavy fellow at close to 300lbs (43% fat) I find a lot of exercises difficult without the aid of a machine (difficult in the sense I cannot do them for a meaningful amount of time)

I do tend to body bop when I have music on downstairs, but I just sporadically walk for long distances & living in Brighton it's full of hills (it's a city in the middle of a valley) and is quite good for walking. Typically my legs are still very strong compared to the rest of my body, as has always been the case, so I'll often go out and walk a minimum of 4 miles, though usually 6 - 8 miles @4mph at least 3 times a week.

I cannot wait until I have enough spare money to go back to the Gym as I always enjoyed it when I was growing up, but fell out of habit around 2007 when I got work in a warehouse where the Gym wasn't necessary as I burned up to 2,000 calories a day from work alone but never got back into it for whatever reason (fell out of the habit I suppose) when I started working in an office for a bank. I also aim to buy an exercise bike as I always enjoyed the one I had when I was growing up (and previously of of shape) and it put me into shape pretty quick as I'd spend at least an hour on it a day listening to music, being born with Dyspraxia I cannot ride a bike for real.

Also the times when I do have band practice count as exercise I suppose as I have to carry a bass and breakable (cymbals) for a little over 2 miles total and playing an instrument standing for 3 hours burns some calories right? I always feel a bit tired after a while so I'm counting it ;)

So for me it's mostly walking with the odd bit of dancing, a few sit ups and going up and down the stairs.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have recently taken to water jogging. You get a float belt and some weights and jog in the water. It is a great way to workout that is light on the joints and works your whole body out. I love it on my off days of running.
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i am the at-home workout queen (haha ok ok there are lots of us), but i started losing weight in 2009 with an at home dvd program called turbo jam by chalene johnson. it's kickboxing meets hip hop meets martial arts meets SO MUCH FUN :laugh: i lost 30 lbs with this program, working out 6 days a week at home, anywhere from 20 mins to 60 mins a day. about a year and a half later, a new advanced program by chalene johnson came out called turbo fire which i started doing last june and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! it's more intense but so much fun, the music is great, you get an AMAZING workout, sweat like crazy, and trust me, it kicks your *kitten* :wink: there's also strength workouts involved but my favorite strength workout is another format by chalene johnson called piyo - it's pilates and yoga inspired but really nothing like either of them! it's for people who love to MOVE and still want to tone and strengthen their body. it's INTENSE but sooooooo much FUN! i love love love it! if you're looking for some at-home workouts (now that it's going to be winter...) i recommend these VERY much! you will NOT be disappointed!! :bigsmile:
  • beachlove09
    beachlove09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    just tried yoga and i really love it. i also do the eliptical 5 times a week and pair it with strengh exercises for my arms, back, and legs. i try to do crunches everyday. i def need to find some exercises to flatten my tummy!
  • ndarwin
    Options
    I love my Bikram or Hot Yoga...if you enjoy yoga this is an AMAZING workout! It burns between 700-1000 calories in the 90 minute sessions depending on your specifics. It has helped me get past my plateau and I feel amazing after. It is definately a challenge but worth it. If you decide to give this a try I recommend some regular yoga experience first...and then trying the class...also be sure to drink plenty of water as it is hot and humid while you do your moves.

Aside from that I love Rollerblading...and Zumba helped me with my first 30 lbs last year and it was a blast to workout with that!

:)
  • ndarwin
    Options
    Also forgot the whole "schedule" aspect of that question!!! Sorry.....I do rollerblading every other day...hot yoga at least 1-2 times a week...and then every day on my lunch break at work I walk for the 30 minutes around the building as that helps.