Reasons for ur vegetarianism

Options
Ok so we have all been asked the following questions

'omg like what do you eat?'

'So why are you a vegetarian'

and my personal favourtite response from those who i tell about my vegetarianism
'dude i COULD NEVER be a vegetarian'.

Sometimes i answer with seriousness but other times i am really sarcastic when answering.

So what reasons do you give. personally i believe every animal and fishy have the right to a life. And if u can survive without then why not. :)

Replies

• Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I got a tapeworm from eating some pork.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Like the bumper sticker says: "I'm vegetarian because I want to suck less." It's mainly about reducing animal suffering for me.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I just say that I made a personal decision based on my values in life and my desire for good health. If they ask further questions or seem really interested in the whole subject, I go into more detail. But usually I get the glazed eye and a nod or a mumbled 'oh'. :)

You can lead a 'carnivore' to healthy eating but you can't make him/her partake of it.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I still haven't really figured out why I don't like eating meat. I think its partially taste and partially just can't bring myself to think about eating an animal. I always just tell people I don't like the taste though.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I don't like the way animals are kept/abused/treated, whatever word you wanna use....I don't think animals are ours to eat.

I don't see a difference in pigs, cats, rats, horses, birds etc....All living things feel pain and I don't think it should be at the hands of humans. What gives us the right to choose that it's ok to eat pig flesh but cat flesh is not? I don't want any part of it.
  • villos50
    Options
    I agree with you completely tattoedtwin. Animals are abused and filled with abnormal chemicals. Also the flood of stress chemicals in their bodies probably affect the humans that eat them. Vegetarian for me. And it is a more sustainable diet in a 7 billion people world
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have a texture issue...with meat and a few other foods.

I made a bet that I could eat 1/2 a burger. I took a bite and I felt the chewy animal meat squishing through my teeth and it felt disgusting. Then I thought about the animal I was eating....and I spit it out.

I don't have a problem with other people eating meat....although sometimes I stop and think that the animal was alive at one point, and it bums me out.

I've never had a hamburger, chicken, fish, ribs, steak, etc.
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options

You can lead a 'carnivore' to healthy eating but you can't make him/her partake of it.

true that!
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Change of subject slightly but has anyone seen the PETA superbowl add that came out ages ago. :) Just a bunch of women rubbing vegetables over them
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I started for health reasons. I turned a blind eye to the treatment of animals in the food industry because I am just one person. I don't agree with their treatment and I do agree that it is truly sickening. Axe murderers are treated better. Now, being vegetarian/working towards that goal it makes me feel better to know that my little voice might encourage others to a more healthy lifestyle and in turn less needless suffering of animals.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds a little 'Silence of the Lambs'ish but when I was a little girl my father had a pen of pigs in our backyard. I fed them everyday, chased them around when they broke out to dig up the yard looking for roots and grubs, and even named them. Then came the day in the fall when my father butchered the pigs in our backyard and I had to listen to them die. I've never eaten meat since.

So when people ask why I'm a vegetarian, I ask them why they eat flesh.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I know it sounds a little 'Silence of the Lambs'ish but when I was a little girl my father had a pen of pigs in our backyard. I fed them everyday, chased them around when they broke out to dig up the yard looking for roots and grubs, and even named them. Then came the day in the fall when my father butchered the pigs in our backyard and I had to listen to them die. I've never eaten meat since.

That would do it. :cry:
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    my mom had breast cancer and my dad had heart disease. i have decided to eliminate anything unhealthy, meat is full of hormones and antibiotics, i don't like the sneakiness of the USDA and i dont like the animal conditions.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    lol I just love that! Going to be using that.
    :happy:
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I can relate to that. I really beleived in the good part of the world and thought there was no evil until I saw my grandfather chop off a chickens head. I was certain they like all other food grew in the garden. And I can recall my dad having killed a deer and he hung it from my swing set. I was told I pet the deer and talked to it and I have memories of it. I can't tell you if they are real memories or if they are from my being told the story. There are pictures in our family pictures of the deer hanging on the swing set and I feel like I can remember petting its nose and talking to it. I have always just had a soft spot for animals and most clearly beleive it is wrong to kill them or eat them.
  • ericrushton
    Options
    I became vegetarian primarily from concern of sustainability. But animal treatment in the whole meat industry really is horrid.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Ok so we have all been asked the following questions

'omg like what do you eat?'

'So why are you a vegetarian'

and my personal favourtite response from those who i tell about my vegetarianism
    'dude i COULD NEVER be a vegetarian'.

Sometimes i answer with seriousness but other times i am really sarcastic when answering.

So what reasons do you give. personally i believe every animal and fishy have the right to a life. And if u can survive without then why not. :)

1. Everything that's not from an animal. Sometimes I start naming things according to the alphabet. Most people quickly realize that I eat a whole lot more variety than they do.

2. Initially for health reasons, to fight against a terrible family medical history on both sides of my family. Since then, I have added ethical reasons to the mix. I do not believe that factory farming is what God meant when He gave us dominion over animals. And in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were vegans!

3. I didn't say you had to be a vegetarian.

Personally, I think people see being vegan as a judgement, almost like you think you are superior to them. It is the same with all aspects of life where you take the nontraditional path. Most of my adult life I have encountered people who question my decisions. I had unmedicated home births in an area of the country where the C-section rate is greater than 50%. (And everyone who discovered this bit of information needed to tell me that it was a good thing they didn't do that because they/their baby would have died.) I chose to breastfeed my babies for extended periods of time. I homeschool. And now <gasp> I'm vegan. Just another badge on my nontraditionalist uniform. So encountering people questioning what I do and why is pretty par for the course for me.

I take the position of "this is what has worked for me and my family." I can't tell someone else what their path should be. Although I might want to! :wink:
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it was mainly about sustainability and health for me, after a month or so i noticed i felt much better not having animal corpses in my kitchen anymore.

My only vice now is fish from time to time, my eggs come from my inlaws and the milk from a retired friend of mine that has a small organic hobby farm.
  • DelainaB
    Options
    Thank you Food Inc, Forks Over Knives, and the paper I had to write on the food industry. Gosh its amazing what a little knowledge will do for you.

I mainly becam veggie for health reasons and sustainability. Both of my parents have health issues, high blood pressure and cholesterol etc. My mom also has Lupus, and Breast Cancer, so once I saw all the research linking animal products to degenerative diseases I was sold.

We started by giving up fast food, then any meat that wasn't naturally raised, and we focused on meat we could get locally from family farms and farmers markets. Then I decided that I didn't need meat at all and we were going so long without eating it anyway that I just stopped. My husband and daughter remain flexitarians, but they go weeks without meat at this point, so I don't imagine it will be long before they take the plunge with me.

I have only been vegetarian a few months and I feel fantastic. I sleep better, I wake up easier, I have more energy all day. I won't go back.
  • erinserin
    erinserin Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Im totally going to have to respond to people with that question!

I think that in todays society we have a choice. We have such a large variety of foods within easy access and there is no reason why we cant live without meat.

I dont preach to people and I dont judge other people for eating meat - to each their own and all that - but it never stops suprising me how many people seem to have an issue with me being a vegetarian!

At the end of the day I dont want to eat another living animal. As simple as that.