Stress and dealing with it

Options
Lately, things at work have been very stressful, especially with the holidays approaching and deadlines to meet. Since I started MFP, I have noticed I have changed my ways of dealing with stress. I used to keep a drawer at work filled with treats (candy, cookies, chips, crackers etc). Whenever I felt stressed, I reached for a treat. I no longer have a treat drawer and I now deal with stress by stepping back and taking a few deep breaths. I take a few big gulps of water and some more deep breaths. At the end of the day, I head straight to the gym and just let everything go.

What are some of the ways you deal with stress?

Replies

• amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    great question!! In the past I would deal with stress by eating!! but lately I have been logging on to MFP, it really helps me reading everyone's stories and sharing my victories and mistakes!! And exercising, its been wonderful for me!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety, so I've learned different approaches to dealing with stress. Funny thing about anxiety, though, is you don't necessarily have to have any stress to feel anxious. Anyway, I've learned different breathing techniques and they really help me.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Other than my faith, working out and eating right is how I best cope with stress. I have to do this to stay off medication, and it's worked wonderfully. With getting older it's trickier, but I still find so much relief by working out rather than sitting in my stress.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety, so I've learned different approaches to dealing with stress. Funny thing about anxiety, though, is you don't necessarily have to have any stress to feel anxious. Anyway, I've learned different breathing techniques and they really help me.

I hear you loud & clear! I didn't even identify my anxiety until I turned 40!
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank GOD for MFP! It's where I vent and share my stressful situations! I've made it a goal of mine to no longer reach for food when stressed. I try to call a friend or a co-worker and vent. I make sure I drink my water during the day so I'm not hungry and I definately use exercise to blow off steam! :flowerforyou:
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I try to distract myself. So far it works about 50% of the time, the other half of the time it's medication...:ohwell:
  • rrodnic2012
    rrodnic2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weller's whisky and water = 85 calories :glasses:
  • rrodnic2012
    rrodnic2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weller's whisky and water = 85 calories :glasses:
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is where my problem lies - I cant figure out HOW to deal with it beyond my typical response - eating.

I truly don't understand how some of you find time to go to a gym...honestly, if I got up any early or went to bed any later I'd just flat out not be sleeping.

I do well in the morning, but in the afternoon, between school and heading to rehearsals I'm sooooo weak! GAH!

So frustrated.... :sad: