Liberals Against Abortion?

Options

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I would caution you to not use the "sustain" outside of the womb because in reality, my babies would have died had I not fed them since they could not go to the store and buy formula and make a bottle themselves. I'm sure you don't mean that they need to be able to sustain themselves, unless you do believe infanticide is okay too?

this "debate" has now just crossed into the absurd.

Do you really think that's what was meant? Sustain = stay alive on it's own, as opposed to needing an umbelical cord. But you already knew that. :huh:

This is what is frustrating about debating with the religious right. When you make a good point, it's necessary to inflate your idea to the point of absurdity. ie: "What, are you gonna let someone marry a horse next!?"

Right. Instead of actually debating the point and not a word that you know what was meant.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I would caution you to not use the "sustain" outside of the womb because in reality, my babies would have died had I not fed them since they could not go to the store and buy formula and make a bottle themselves. I'm sure you don't mean that they need to be able to sustain themselves, unless you do believe infanticide is okay too?

Do you really think that's what was meant? Sustain = stay alive on it's own, as opposed to needing an umbelical cord. But you already knew that. :huh:

This is what is frustrating about debating with the religious right. When you make a good point, it's necessary to inflate your idea to the point of absurdity. ie: "What, are you gonna let someone marry a horse next!?"

Right on, everyone knows what I meant by the word "sustain".
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    No they wouldn't. If you hadn't fed them someone else would have. Only one person can keep a fetus alive. Anyone can keep a baby alive. Or do you really think that if you died in childbirth that your kids would have died shortly thereafter?
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It happens quite often and the most publicized time this happened was when Teri Schiavo was starved and dehydrated to death because her husband wanted her to be taken off the feeding tube (she did not require anything else).

She required an expensive nursing home to tend to her every physical need while she wasted away in a bed. They autopsied her (to prove that she was a veggie), and they found large liquified and missing portions inside what remained of her brain. Don't give me any guff about "she knew what was happening". She most certainly did not. Her husband was the only courageous one of the bunch. Her family was perfectly fine letting him continue to spend every cent he had on a nursing home for a breathing mannequin. Terry wasn't and hadn't been there for years. I hope my husband would do the same for me.
    That is where you are wrong, her family fought for full rightest to care for her and spend their own money caring for her.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It happens quite often and the most publicized time this happened was when Teri Schiavo was starved and dehydrated to death because her husband wanted her to be taken off the feeding tube (she did not require anything else).

She required an expensive nursing home to tend to her every physical need while she wasted away in a bed. They autopsied her (to prove that she was a veggie), and they found large liquified and missing portions inside what remained of her brain. Don't give me any guff about "she knew what was happening". She most certainly did not. Her husband was the only courageous one of the bunch. Her family was perfectly fine letting him continue to spend every cent he had on a nursing home for a breathing mannequin. Terry wasn't and hadn't been there for years. I hope my husband would do the same for me.
    That is where you are wrong, her family fought for full rightest to care for her and spend their own money caring for her.

Aside from that point - where do you draw the line of her rights ending and anyone else's beginning?
  • Regmama
    Options

It was a serious statement/question simply because there are people who support infanticide in some instances and I wanted to makes sure I was understanding him correctly. I would rather make things extremely clear than assume what someone means.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    its an undeveloped, non feeling, non thinking human embryo. of course it is . Its not a person though
    Do you have children? I know that when my babies were born they were able to already turn their heads toward the voices they were familiar with.

yes i have three, and ive also had an abortion.

Im not talking about born babies, im talking about embryos foetus of a low gestational age.
  • Regmama
    Options

Aside from that point - where do you draw the line of her rights ending and anyone else's beginning?
    Do I believe in extreme measures to keep someone alive? No, but by extreme I mean venilator for months and years, not feeding tubes or temporary ventilators after a serious accident (and this is something I think many forget when they say they don't want to be put on a machine, that sometimes you need to be put on a machine for a short period following an accident). Does that make sense?
  • Regmama
    Options
    its an undeveloped, non feeling, non thinking human embryo. of course it is . Its not a person though
    Do you have children? I know that when my babies were born they were able to already turn their heads toward the voices they were familiar with.

yes i have three, and ive also had an abortion.

Im not talking about born babies, im talking about embryos foetus of a low gestational age.
    I am sorry for you loss and can only offer to let you know that if you have not healed that there are support groups you can turn to if/when you're ready.

My standpoint is that human life and thus human dignity begins at the moment of conception. That that life needs to be respected. But I also agree that we need to do more to help women and men make the choice easier to have their child because there has been great suffering by mothers, fathers, and families as a result of abortion. Something that is not talked about either.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    its ok you dont need to patronise me. Ive never had an issue with it and all ive ever felt about it was relief
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

when her brain liquified, right at about that point, her rights ended. IMHO.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

It was a serious statement/question simply because there are people who support infanticide in some instances and I wanted to makes sure I was understanding him correctly. I would rather make things extremely clear than assume what someone means.

if you say so.
  • Regmama
    Options

when her brain liquified, right at about that point, her rights ended. IMHO.
    Why did it take her 14 days without food and water before she died? That is an extremely crueld way to die, don't you think?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    14 days? Apparently she was pretty well hydrated before they took out the tube. I don't think it's cruel, because she didn't experience it at all. A houseplant drying out is more aware of its fate than she was.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    its a shame in cases like that we cant just euthanase someone. We are kinder to animals in that respect than we are to people
  • Regmama
    Options
    14 days? Apparently she was pretty well hydrated before they took out the tube. I don't think it's cruel, because she didn't experience it at all. A houseplant drying out is more aware of its fate than she was.
    You do realize that it is a human being you are talking about? To dismiss life so easily is quite sad. Then again, I don't think murderers and pedophiles are monsters (though I do agree that they need to be imprisoned for life) nor would I call another a "vegetable" They are all humans with dignity that needs to be respected at the basic level (even though it can be extremely difficult to do so).
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    You do realize that it is a human being you are talking about? To dismiss life so easily is quite sad. Then again, I don't think murderers and pedophiles are monsters (though I do agree that they need to be imprisoned for life) nor would I call another a "vegetable" They are all humans with dignity that needs to be respected at the basic level (even though it can be extremely difficult to do so).

She ceased to be a human being IMHO when she ceased to have any consciousness or any hope of regaining any semblance of awareness. If not for the intervention of extremely heroic medecine, she would have died years ago when she sustained the injuries that put her in that bed.

I can respect Terry, but my assertion is that the breathing corpse in the bed wasn't Terry. Hadn't been Terry for a long long time.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Is there a debate thread yet for "Dying with Dignity"? Because this thread is derailed.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

For those of you who see other humans as parasites, seriously, you really believe that crap? Even science acknowledges that from the moment of conception it is a human. So, stop mincing words and call a spade a spade, that abortion is the intentional killing of a human being.

I think if you read my post carefully, it's clear that I am describing the scientific nature of pregnancy. By definition, a parasite is "An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense." A parasite cannot survive on its' own. So yes, until the foetus can survive outwith the mother - its' host - technically speaking, that's exactly what it is. Of course an emotional reaction, including my own, will shy from this description - the point I was making is that scientifically, this is a more accurate representation of pregnancy than the symbiotic relationship that is culturally and popularly idealised.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    If you want to be technical, a parasite is NOT the same species as the host, so pregnancy would not be included with that definition.