Doctor Zhivago?

Options
MrsSpratt
MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
Has anyone read it? I've just started and, I have to admit, it's kind of over my head. I want to keep going, though. I loved the movie.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    This is an old, old thread so my reply may not get any answers.
    I read Dr. Zhivago a few years back and it was completely different from what I thought I'd be reading. I thought it would be a romance between 2 people. With that thought, the book dragged on and was a bit boring but slowly I realized that Pasternak wasn't writing about the love between a man and woman (or women, as it was) but a man and the love he felft for his country in a time of upheaval.
    As I ended up seeing it, the 3 loves of Dr. Zhivago's life were Russia Past (his first wife), Russia Possible-Future (Laura) and Russia Present (his last wife). He loves them all but sees failure in each of them and he can't live entirely with any of them (but he lives with Russia Present because he has to; living in the present and all).
    I've never seen the movie. I imagine it would be hard to convey all that in a movie. I will see the movie one day, though, just to see how they did it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Oh....I should add that I wound up really loving the book.
  • ThinWithinWin
    ThinWithinWin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read it? I've just started and, I have to admit, it's kind of over my head. I want to keep going, though. I loved the movie.

This topic sucked me in because I am intrigued by the movie. I need to watch it again this winter. Winter is a great time to watch the movie!

No personal experience with the book, however.