Grip

Options
jrcox520
jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
Hi ladies! I'm in stage 2 and have been having a problem since the middle of stage 1. On my step-ups, I can't progress to heavier dumbbells because my hands start hurting so bad I just want to drop them sometimes. Its gotten better, but I've been on 25 lb dumbbells for a while now. I've tried combating this by increasing the height of the step, and am getting a good workout from that. I am also having a similar problem with any move that requires holding weight plates (its the one where you hold the plate and lunge with rear foot elevated - not sure what its called, my log/book are both down in my car.) At my gym the plates go from 25 directly on up to 40 pounds, a huge jump. Have any of you found a work around for these things?

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We don't have weight plates or a barbell at our gym, so I use dumbbells for everything. I don't really think it matters too much what kind of weight you hold for that rear foot elevated lunge, but rather that you are holding weight. Just my opinion, I am no expert! If you use a dumbbell and hold it close to your chest, it should give you the same effect, I'd think. At least that's the only option I really have. Yes, 25 - 40 is a huge jump! I only hold 1-25lb dumbbell per hand for lunges now, and I'm in stage 5, so I think you are doing great!!! I know my hands really start hurting, my fingers too, holding anything over 25lbs. I am thinking about getting grips or gloves to see if this will help, but I haven't actually done that yet.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Once the dumbbells became too heavy for my hands I started using a barbell across my upper back. As for the other exercise(I believe you're talking about the split squats) I use a dumbbell, not a plate. I hold it with 2 hands against my chest.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For the Bulgarian split squat you can use a dumbbell or medicine ball.

But, until you improve your grip strength you're going to have trouble progressing to later stages and exercises. It will take time, just be patient and keep at it.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Speaking of grip, I've noticed the guys at the gym doing deadlifts with a mixed grip instead of overhand. Does anybody know the benefit of this? The guy last night was lifting over 300 pounds and just letting it drop on the floor with a big grunt, so I didn't want to ask him.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I use a barbell for my step ups. I used to hold 2 25# weights, but I also couldn't progress since holding the 30# dumbells was pretty tough, so I moved to the barbell. I now load the barbell to 70# and can add weight easily now. I do my bulgarian split squat and static lunges using 2 25# DBs, so I expect that I'll have to move that over to the barbell soon too.

A trainer at a new gym I'm going to suggested that I use 35# dumbells for my step ups - HA!!! I could barely lift them off the rack with one hand much less holding two of them while doing the step ups on a tall box!!! But I hope some day I'll get there - I think it is good to keep trying to improve my grip.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Speaking of grip, I've noticed the guys at the gym doing deadlifts with a mixed grip instead of overhand. Does anybody know the benefit of this? The guy last night was lifting over 300 pounds and just letting it drop on the floor with a big grunt, so I didn't want to ask him.

When I was doing the deadlifts from the low step in stage 2 my husband told me I can mix the grip...one hand over and the other hand under. When I had the barbell with the overhand grip with both hands it felt like I was losing my grip and I was afraid of dropping it. Gripping with both over and underhand makes it more stable.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Once the dumbbells became too heavy for my hands I started using a barbell across my upper back. As for the other exercise(I believe you're talking about the split squats) I use a dumbbell, not a plate. I hold it with 2 hands against my chest.

Pretty much this. I just can't grip the 35 or 40 pound dumb bells for my lunges so I've started using a bar bell across my back (we have some pre loaded bars that are about the same size as curl bars aside from the olympic bars that I like to use for this). I do need a spotter to help me get them up.

My husbad suggested I get wrist straps to assist my grip as most of my weights are starting to outweigh my grip.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options

When I was doing the deadlifts from the low step in stage 2 my husband told me I can mix the grip...one hand over and the other hand under. When I had the barbell with the overhand grip with both hands it felt like I was losing my grip and I was afraid of dropping it. Gripping with both over and underhand makes it more stable.

thanks! been wondering this myself.

interesting how many people use barbells for more weight on stepups and lunges. I might try this. I notice my grip and forearms get pretty tired, but I thought you just had to push through it, won't your grip improve??

I know geriatric strength tests involve a grip test, that's often how they measure how wiry you are :)
  • ennaejay
    Options

Pretty much this. I just can't grip the 35 or 40 pound dumb bells for my lunges so I've started using a bar bell across my back (we have some pre loaded bars that are about the same size as curl bars aside from the olympic bars that I like to use for this). I do need a spotter to help me get them up.

My husbad suggested I get wrist straps to assist my grip as most of my weights are starting to outweigh my grip.

Couldn't you use a squat rack to get it up on your back? A spotter is great - but in the absence of one - isn't the placement of the bar on your shoulders the same for squats, lunges, step-ups, etc? Just use the racks maybe? I'm tempted to try this for lunges next time, but I feel like holding your arms down and steady really works your shoulders and tris.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Couldn't you use a squat rack to get it up on your back? A spotter is great - but in the absence of one - isn't the placement of the bar on your shoulders the same for squats, lunges, step-ups, etc? Just use the racks maybe? I'm tempted to try this for lunges next time, but I feel like holding your arms down and steady really works your shoulders and tris.

I use the smith when I don't have a spotter for squats, we don't have a squat rack. I prefer not to use the smith at all if I can help it. Also, I'm doing forward stepping lunges not static lunges, using the smith I would have to do static lunges. Last week the men who generally frequent the weight room Tuesday and Thursday mornings weren't there on Tuesday and I did my lifting with the hubs on Friday and I had him spot me. If my regulars are missing this week as well I'll have to do the static lunges with the smith *sniff.* I think I could totally clean that bar over to my back, but not after the shoulder presses and lat pull downs. I may try to just do them in reverse order and do the lunges first just to see.
  • tolygal
    Options

Hmmmm.... When I use dumbells for step ups or split squat, etc., I've always held the weights up by my shoulders - almost resting them there, but not completely. I've never tried just holding them at my sides. Now I'm curious how others do it. I think I do that because it makes it easier to hold them (maybe balance???) and concentrate the effort on my lower body??? I'm not sure I guess. But...I wonder what it would be like to hold them at my sides. I wonder if that would engage more or fewer muscles of the core and arms/shoulders. Or if they would get in the way. I might try that and see...
  • bizco
    Options

I use the smith when I don't have a spotter for squats, we don't have a squat rack. I prefer not to use the smith at all if I can help it. If my regulars are missing this week as well I'll have to do the static lunges with the smith *sniff.*
    I won't go near the Smith with a ten foot pole. Way to dangerous for risk of injury. They're bad, bad, bad!
  • bizco
    Options
    Hmmmm.... When I use dumbells for step ups or split squat, etc., I've always held the weights up by my shoulders - almost resting them there, but not completely. I've never tried just holding them at my sides. Now I'm curious how others do it. I think I do that because it makes it easier to hold them (maybe balance???) and concentrate the effort on my lower body??? I'm not sure I guess. But...I wonder what it would be like to hold them at my sides. I wonder if that would engage more or fewer muscles of the core and arms/shoulders. Or if they would get in the way. I might try that and see...
    I hold them at my sides because that's how it's shown in the book.
  • tolygal
    Options
    I hold them at my sides because that's how it's shown in the book.
    LOL - I just checked my book after posting, and came back here to post this too. I've never even noticed that before, but they do hold them down. Now I feel kind of silly. I wonder why I put them on my shoulders :-) I'm interested to see what kind of a difference it makes!
    I won't go near the Smith with a ten foot pole. Way to dangerous for risk of injury. They're bad, bad, bad!
    Same here!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    If I had the luxury of not going near the smith I would avoid it, but seeing as I workout at 530 AM I frequently find myself alone in the weight room, and I can't clean my squat bar.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    I use the smith when I don't have a spotter for squats, we don't have a squat rack. I prefer not to use the smith at all if I can help it. Also, I'm doing forward stepping lunges not static lunges, using the smith I would have to do static lunges. Last week the men who generally frequent the weight room Tuesday and Thursday mornings weren't there on Tuesday and I did my lifting with the hubs on Friday and I had him spot me. If my regulars are missing this week as well I'll have to do the static lunges with the smith *sniff.* I think I could totally clean that bar over to my back, but not after the shoulder presses and lat pull downs. I may try to just do them in reverse order and do the lunges first just to see.

It sounds like you have a variety of options, which is really super cool. I think it's awesome your husband goes to the gym with you. Even IF you could clean the bar over to your back, I'd worry that after a set or two when you're more fatigued, it'd be pretty hard to get it down safely.... be careful. Reversing the order of exercises is a great idea!

yeah, I follow the pics in the book too - although they're not extensive, and often leave me with questions or referring to other sites just to make certain the form is right. No need to feel silly, honestly, Lou says you can do the step-ups with a barbell on your shoulders as a harder variation --- so it sounds like you're challenging yourself in a way that us "dumbbell by the buttocks" peeps aren't!!! :laugh:
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm still using the 25 lb. dumbbells, but today I used 25 lb. kettlebells and they were much easier to hold and less tiring to my hands. Doesn't help if you don't have access to kettlebells, but I thought I'd throw it out there!