acl support

Options
antierior cruciate ligament

the ligament that supports the back of the knee, and runs from the back of the quad to the calf muscles.

I had reconstructive acl surgery decades ago with sucess, but recently my acl is killing me after a yank from a dog bite. I could do anything until that attack a month ago!

I've been strapping it and doing the acl support taping prior to use, but with use my knee gets worse. The pain is increasing, not decreasing. :( I will see a doc. in another month, but what can I expect for now? Just lay off of it?

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Ouch! My son had that surgery after a football injury in high school. He's now a coach, but has never fully recovered. Sounds like you've done much better until now. You probably should baby it for a while. I'm sure that will be very difficult for an active woman like you. Good luck and God bless.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've been taping my knee for support and going to my chiropractor for some ultrasound therapy. That works really well to calm the nerves. Sometimes the calf muscle cramps up, but after the ultrasound not so much. I have better range of motion, but still not able to completely straighten my leg because the knee just won't let me. The trauma from the dog bite/yank was too much so my muscles are still in the "I don't want to move" mode.

I couldn't get a doctor to look at my knee because I had surgery 20 years ago. I made an appt. with the surgeon (out of state!) and he will see me 3 months after the dog bite. I think I will ask for a knee brace.

What are the knee braces for acl injury like now a days?
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    I just saw something on TV about that and may be what I have because all the symptoms point to that. I hope not! Still waiting on results.