Insanity and Asylum

Options
Sigma28
Sigma28 Posts: 83 Member
I've noticed a lot of people here have gone through many "rounds" of Insanity, and are quite fit. When you finish a round, are you going back to the beginning workouts of 40 minutes, or are you guys just staying at the intense workouts (the one hour ones) and repeating those?

My second question is for the people that are doing Asylum. How fit do you have to be to do it? I'm not fit enough for it yet, but I hope to be. Also, is it really that much different exercise-wise compared to the original? Is it worth the money? Are there other similar interval training DVDs you recommend?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I started Asylum November 2, I'm loving it more than I did Insanity. I also add running, yoga and Tai Chi into my training, so do a little more. I was told not to double up on Asylum and Running, but I'm really finding it easier than I did with Insanity. I find the workouts are better well rounded, not just cardio driven like Insanity and I feel I'm getting a better workout. I haven't added in "Overtime" which is an additional 15 mintues, but I will next week.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my second round of insanity. I started back to the 40 minute workout because now I'm fitter and I have better form. Therefore I feel that this round I will get the full benefits of the workout .
  • Sigma28
    Sigma28 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people here have gone through many "rounds" of Insanity, and are quite fit. When you finish a round, are you going back to the beginning workouts of 40 minutes, or are you guys just staying at the intense workouts (the one hour ones) and repeating those?

My second question is for the people that are doing Asylum. How fit do you have to be to do it? I'm not fit enough for it yet, but I hope to be. Also, is it really that much different exercise-wise compared to the original? Is it worth the money? Are there other similar interval training DVDs you recommend?

After my 3rd round of Insanity I kept doing just the max workouts. I only do the max workouts now when I do one. Every once in a great while I will throw in Pure Cardio or the FT if I am short on time but want to get a decent burn.

You have to be pretty fit to do Asylum, IMO. I don't think I really was fit enough for it when I did it, but I did complete it. I plan to do it again this winter when it gets too cold to run outside. Most of the moves in Asylum are different than Insanity, however I really don't think you can compare it to Insanity. Asylum is a more well rounded workout program since it does have strength training in it. I do think it is worth the money, but I do prefer Insanity over Asylum. I get higher burns from the Insanity workouts.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wow just finished my first video cardio/plyo I could definitely do it except for the planks and push ups. I was very very slow and gave up after a bit.

I can do this!!!

Tomorrow I am going to watch the video through before I start it. I want to know what's ahead!
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    hi guys,

I'm planning to start Asylum next week or the week after, I just finished a P90X Classic and I want to do a short program before moving to P90X2.

A friend lended me the DVDs but broke the ladder so I bought a new one that I should get next week.

Couple questions I do have, how intense is it on average compared to the P90X workouts (plyo etc...)
    I have a low ceiling in my basement, is it going to impact a lot the vertical plyo workout?

And finally are there options to replace pull ups when you are using a doorway pullup bar and dont have the same possiblities compared to what you can see in the preview videos (I dont have the DVDs yet so I could not check)

Thanks!
  • mlb929
    Options
    Couple questions I do have, how intense is it on average compared to the P90X workouts (plyo etc...)
    I have a low ceiling in my basement, is it going to impact a lot the vertical plyo workout?

And finally are there options to replace pull ups when you are using a doorway pullup bar and dont have the same possiblities compared to what you can see in the preview videos (I dont have the DVDs yet so I could not check)

Thanks!

I have 7ft ceilings in my downstairs where I workout. I worried it would be an issue, so far it's not bad. I can't use the jump rope I just pretend w/o it. I have some issues with the jumping jacks too - basically I just get lower and do more in squat positions. The Vertical Plyo - I get lower to jump higher.

My pullup bar is a stand alone unit - and I have to use dumb bells instead as I can't stand with mine, I've not tired, just did the dumbbell option instead.

I don't think you an compare P90X Cardio routines and Asylum - it's like apples and oranges, I always found P90X Plyo to be fairly easy on me, Asylum is intense, no breaks and kicks my butt in a good way. My average HR is at 165 for the entire 45 minute routines, I never got over 140 with plyo. I'm fit with a fairly low average HR.
  • Alderaic
    Options
    thanks, I tried the jump rope, and even though it touches sometimes it's not a big deal, I have half a foot more (7.5 ceiling)

I guess I will do the dumbbells too as I cannot stay suspended to my pullup bar, good thing that they have options.

My Plyo HR moves between 140 and 160 so I guess asylum will kick my butt nicely! but that's what I'm looking for.
    I know there is no cardio in P90X2 and I want to do some good cardio, so I will likely end up doing hybrids later on to get the best of both
  • Alderaic
    Options
    Just did my fit test (perf assesment)... it's a step up from the insanity test.
    I loved it as some test have to do with speed and not just cardio or strength...

I think I did well overall, cant wait for my first workout tomorrow!
  • Alderaic
    Options
    Speed & Agility over, I was jumping in puddles of sweat by the end of the workout!
    Recovery from the workout is actually quite better than I was expecting, I burned overall 650 calories in 50 mins, with an average Heart rate of 157.

I loved it, much more interesting than plyo in P90X (only point of comparison that I have really) !
  • Alderaic
    Options
    Strength done, very nice workout
    Back to Core completed as well, that has to be one of the best workout I did ever, it truly shows that a 2011 workout is much more precise than 2003 2006 etc...
    Vert Plyo done too, impressive monster of a workout... DO NOT EAT at least one hour before the workout. Amazing results guaranteed though it is the real deal, even Shaun T is catching his breath and more than once!
  • Alderaic
    Options
    speed & agility second time done, followed up by overtime and relief... trust me relief is a mandatory step after overtime.
    Strength done today after my capoeira class.. good burn.

Tomorrow will be my second pass of Back to core, looking forward to do good! if I have time, I think I will throw in some upper body workout, something like shoulder and arms, to get some bigger weights
  • mlb929
    Options
    speed & agility second time done, followed up by overtime and relief... trust me relief is a mandatory step after overtime.
    Strength done today after my capoeira class.. good burn.

Tomorrow will be my second pass of Back to core, looking forward to do good! if I have time, I think I will throw in some upper body workout, something like shoulder and arms, to get some bigger weights

Have you taken the Shaun T challenge of doing Speed and Agility 2x - I did yesterday, OMG, it was a work out. Last time I did Game day I did Overtime, ran 5 miles on the treadmill then did Cardio Recovery and Relief that day, it was super.

I'm finishing Asylum this week, will take a week recovery, then go into a hybrid of Asylum and P90X.
  • Alderaic
    Options
    did not try to do it twice, I am looking forward to gameday, I think I'm doing it on wednesday this week, if it is not too intensive on legs, I'll do overtime, else maybe some treadmill, planning to add a 30 to 40 minute treadmill run every morning.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Day 1 today, did the fit test, did ok I think :/ 26 minutes and 331 calories burned by my HRM. Looking forward to day 2